Author Topic: New Radiohead Album  (Read 7410 times)

Offline Lexx

• Ministry of Cynicism
  • Community Supporter
Re: New Radiohead Album
« Reply #30 on: October 11, 2007, 11:03:35 pm »
A fine thing to say when I'm talking specifically about digital distribution.

My statement stands. If you don't like digital distribution then don't use it when there's a perfectly good alternative (CD, or steal).
DRAMA

Offline Einkoro

• Machinae Prime
  • ~tima
    • http://www.janpingel.com/
« Reply #31 on: October 12, 2007, 12:33:20 am »
lossy media? like frayed jeans, black and white photos, any photos, movies, lawn flamingos?

they're not paying for the media (when indeed they pay at all), they're paying for the sounds detectable by using it. lo-fi is a valid and popular style of sound; the white stripes and the black keys can have as much flac as they want, but the raw sound is still a part of their appeal. almost never is anything above 192 kbs even noticeable, and 160 is still more than adequate for stereos, headphones, mash-ups, &c. once encoded, it's still lossless; it's not gonna get progressively worse. There's no such thing as a perfect copy. The encoding may or may not be slightly lossy, but the recording itself is just another layer of encoding from reality to some sort of storage media. further, a band releasing music has no obligation (to fans) to do anything any particular way. so nyeah.

in short, it IS about the ears.

if you can't tell the difference in sound quality, then how is it an inferior product? MOST people (including yourself, it seems) can't hear a noticeable difference in quality between a lossless format and a 160kb/s mp3. Having a much smaller file makes it a quick, easy download. it also means that all music software will be able to play it straight away without any issues, or any need for conversion. It's easy to whack onto a portable media player, with out having to search for a converter. Every portable player supports mp3s, and not everyone wants to fanny around searching for a converter just so they can put their music on their mp3 player. I don't understand how it's possible to be disappointed in any way when a band decides to put up mp3s of their new album, and make them available for FREE!

The both of you are missing the most important point of lossless media. Being able to transcode without losing anything to any other format down the road, be it a few years or 40 years, to any other lossless or lossy format. I doubt when we have our neural interfaced audio players at some point in the future that we will still be using mp3 or even FLAC. Personally I want my music that I buy to be exactly as it is today until I die. Transcoding from lossy to lossy will get progressively worse - there is no way around it.

Not to mention there are people who can tell the difference in blind ABX testing between any bitrate of the lossy formats and lossless even if you two may not be one of them.
"Don't believe anyone when they tell you irony is just a literary convention. It's a universal constant, like the coefficient of gravity." - Alfred Bester

Offline Lexx

• Ministry of Cynicism
  • Community Supporter
« Reply #32 on: October 12, 2007, 12:52:27 am »
Not to mention there are people who can tell the difference in blind ABX testing between any bitrate of the lossy formats and lossless even if you two may not be one of them.

Are you?
DRAMA

Offline L'homme magique

• Machinae Prime
  • Stay Calm
« Reply #33 on: October 12, 2007, 01:17:06 am »
Does it matter? (hint: the answer is no)
"It's like growing up reading good books or listening to good music. One good sofa breeds another good sofa; one bad sofa breeds another bad sofa. That's how it goes."

Lysix

« Reply #34 on: October 12, 2007, 01:30:45 am »
im not convinced you can tell the difference from "lossless" FLAC quality in comparison to a 192kbps mp3 rip. i mean, the difference is probably minimal if anything at all.
and after thinking about it, and to contradict myself, i think 192kbps/160 mp3 for direct download is fine. if you want the higher quality, it encourages you to BUY the cd. and downloading mp3s off itunes or amazon is cheaper, so you get a weaker quality version.
makes sense really. if you want the good stuff, you pay for it yeah?
« Last Edit: October 12, 2007, 01:32:24 am by Alix [: »

Offline harvey danger

• Machinae Prime
  • Werd
« Reply #35 on: October 12, 2007, 01:36:54 am »
im not convinced you can tell the difference from "lossless" FLAC quality in comparison to a 192kbps mp3 rip. i mean, the difference is probably minimal if anything at all.
and after thinking about it, and to contradict myself, i think 192kbps/160 mp3 for direct download is fine. if you want the higher quality, it encourages you to BUY the cd. and downloading mp3s off itunes or amazon is cheaper, so you get a weaker quality version.
makes sense really. if you want the good stuff, you pay for it yeah?

Except even that isn't good enough, apparently.
That's the problem with heroes, really. Their only purpose in life is to thwart others. They make no plans, develop no strategies. They react instead of act. Without villains, heroes would stagnate. Without heroes, villains would be running the world. Heroes have morals. Villains have work ethic.

Offline L'homme magique

• Machinae Prime
  • Stay Calm
« Reply #36 on: October 12, 2007, 01:57:03 am »
and downloading mp3s off itunes or amazon is cheaper, so you get a weaker quality version.
downloading mp3s off itunes or amazon doesn't include the liner notes or physical media, that is why it's cheaper.
"It's like growing up reading good books or listening to good music. One good sofa breeds another good sofa; one bad sofa breeds another bad sofa. That's how it goes."

Lysix

« Reply #37 on: October 12, 2007, 02:38:12 am »
yep. so to tempt you to continue buying the physical medium, they butcher the quality of the downloads available so you think "ah wtf, ill just get the cd instead".
see how it works? like i said, you get what you pay for. if you're so worked up about this lossless quality you so speak of, just buy the goddamn cd :P

Offline PrescriptiveBarony

• Machinae Prime
  • Let there be blacklight.
« Reply #38 on: October 12, 2007, 05:05:54 am »
Being able to transcode without losing anything to any other format down the road, be it a few years or 40 years, to any other lossless or lossy format.

But one of my points was that recording quality will get better so lossless now still won't be "perfect" in 40 years; it'll be like listening to phonographs now. And I doubt very much that mp3 is going to stop being supported anytime in the relevant future

As far as I'm concerned, you're spending time worrying about something that won't change and wouldn't make an appreciable difference if it did. And of course i'm doing the same.

wheeee!

Quote from: Drakonis
Everybody should just <3.

Offline L'homme magique

• Machinae Prime
  • Stay Calm
« Reply #39 on: October 12, 2007, 05:31:38 am »
so to tempt you to continue buying the physical medium, they butcher the quality of the downloads available so you think "ah wtf, ill just get the cd instead".
wrong on several counts and this comment you made is indicative of not reading my posts so I'm not going to bother continuing this discussion