Author Topic: New Radiohead Album  (Read 7032 times)

Offline Lexx

• Ministry of Cynicism
  • Community Supporter
Re: New Radiohead Album
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2007, 10:34:24 pm »
I'll illegally download a lossless copy. Digital distribution should never be compressed. Jesus.

Sucks to be you, 90% of the time it is compressed.
DRAMA

Offline Pete

« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2007, 10:45:29 pm »
Oh lawd, it's not as if it's absolutely horrible. I have a small MP3 player, and actually appreciate small file sizes. Sometimes.

It's still damn god even at low qualities.

Offline SomethingApt

• Machinae Prime
  • [this space for rent]
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2007, 01:14:21 am »
i'll be honest... 160kb/s sounds as good as a cd to my ears. i can hear the compression in 128, but 160 sounds fine.

Lysix

« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2007, 02:26:55 am »
128kbps to 192 is a large step quality wise. i rip all my music at 192 but nothing higher because i just cant hear any difference. s

Offline L'homme magique

• Machinae Prime
  • Stay Calm
« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2007, 02:37:13 am »
Sucks to be you, 90% of the time it is compressed.
This is true.
I have a small MP3 player, and actually appreciate small file sizes.
Compress it for the purpose of putting it on, then.
i'll be honest... 160kb/s sounds as good as a cd to my ears. i can hear the compression in 128, but 160 sounds fine.
I don't care about your ears, it's not about anyone's ears; even if I was deaf I'd still advocate lossless.

Pros: You have a perfect copy ready to be transcoded into whatever new fancy format comes along for your DAP; it is a perfect copy; there is no compression; did I mention that it's a 1:1 copy?

Cons: You have a bigger file size. Hard drives are cheap, buuhuu.

I mean, really. I can't understand the thinking of anyone who says paying for lossy media is a great and wonderful idea. You are paying money for inferior product.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2007, 02:42:30 am by venezuela »
"It's like growing up reading good books or listening to good music. One good sofa breeds another good sofa; one bad sofa breeds another bad sofa. That's how it goes."

Offline Pete

« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2007, 02:44:05 am »
Then how about...you don't pay for it?

(I wish I knew another band who distribute high bitrate MP3s that aren't lossless, but sound fine...)
« Last Edit: October 11, 2007, 02:47:50 am by Pete (The Destroyer) »

Offline harvey danger

• Machinae Prime
  • Werd
« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2007, 02:45:27 am »
Then how about...you don't pay for it?

*Cough.*
That's the problem with heroes, really. Their only purpose in life is to thwart others. They make no plans, develop no strategies. They react instead of act. Without villains, heroes would stagnate. Without heroes, villains would be running the world. Heroes have morals. Villains have work ethic.

Lysix

« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2007, 03:03:07 am »
I mean, really. I can't understand the thinking of anyone who says paying for lossy media is a great and wonderful idea. You are paying money for inferior product.

as much as i hate to admit it, i agree that they should give you the option to download the files in the original studio quality.

Offline PrescriptiveBarony

• Machinae Prime
  • Let there be blacklight.
« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2007, 05:24:20 am »

lossy media? like frayed jeans, black and white photos, any photos, movies, lawn flamingos?

they're not paying for the media (when indeed they pay at all), they're paying for the sounds detectable by using it. lo-fi is a valid and popular style of sound; the white stripes and the black keys can have as much flac as they want, but the raw sound is still a part of their appeal. almost never is anything above 192 kbs even noticeable, and 160 is still more than adequate for stereos, headphones, mash-ups, &c. once encoded, it's still lossless; it's not gonna get progressively worse. There's no such thing as a perfect copy. The encoding may or may not be slightly lossy, but the recording itself is just another layer of encoding from reality to some sort of storage media. further, a band releasing music has no obligation (to fans) to do anything any particular way. so nyeah.

in short, it IS about the ears.

Quote from: Drakonis
Everybody should just <3.

Offline evilcandybag

• of Fire
  • Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
  • Armoured Tanks of Mass Destruction
« Reply #24 on: October 11, 2007, 09:08:02 am »
in short, it IS about the ears.

And the fact that you can pay whatever you want for it. If someone sold you a car for any price you wanted, why complain about a bit of rust?
"Actually, wooden stakes are for vampires. Wooden steaks are for vegetarians."

Offline Lexx

• Ministry of Cynicism
  • Community Supporter
« Reply #25 on: October 11, 2007, 02:59:41 pm »
Buy the CD?
DRAMA

Offline SomethingApt

• Machinae Prime
  • [this space for rent]
« Reply #26 on: October 11, 2007, 06:44:19 pm »
I don't care about your ears, it's not about anyone's ears; even if I was deaf I'd still advocate lossless.

Pros: You have a perfect copy ready to be transcoded into whatever new fancy format comes along for your DAP; it is a perfect copy; there is no compression; did I mention that it's a 1:1 copy?

Cons: You have a bigger file size. Hard drives are cheap, buuhuu.

if you can't tell the difference in sound quality, then how is it an inferior product? MOST people (including yourself, it seems) can't hear a noticeable difference in quality between a lossless format and a 160kb/s mp3. Having a much smaller file makes it a quick, easy download. it also means that all music software will be able to play it straight away without any issues, or any need for conversion. It's easy to whack onto a portable media player, with out having to search for a converter. Every portable player supports mp3s, and not everyone wants to fanny around searching for a converter just so they can put their music on their mp3 player. I don't understand how it's possible to be disappointed in any way when a band decides to put up mp3s of their new album, and make them available for FREE!

Offline Jack Lupino

• Worst Dude
  • Machinae Prime
« Reply #27 on: October 11, 2007, 07:04:42 pm »
Well. Technically it is inferior, can't deny that ofcourse.
Though, paying money for a computer file is just not the same as having it in your hands, in a cd case.. But that's just me?

Offline L'homme magique

• Machinae Prime
  • Stay Calm
« Reply #28 on: October 11, 2007, 10:09:03 pm »
If someone sold you a car for any price you wanted, why complain about a bit of rust?
It's-not-about-In-Fucking-Rainbows
I don't understand how it's possible to be disappointed in any way when a band decides to put up mp3s of their new album, and make them available for FREE!
It's-not-about-In-Fucking-Rainbows

and now that I've made that clear maybe you can stop going "omgz its free stfu".
if you can't tell the difference in sound quality, then how is it an inferior product? MOST people (including yourself, it seems) can't hear a noticeable difference in quality between a lossless format and a 160kb/s mp3.
Actually, I can. So there. You can't see it, but I'm sticking my tongue out at you. As for the rest of your post, you are talking about how things are and saying they should stay that way. I am talking about how things should be.

Buy the CD?
A fine thing to say when I'm talking specifically about digital distribution.
lo-fi is a valid and popular style of sound; the white stripes and the black keys can have as much flac as they want, but the raw sound is still a part of their appeal.
Irrelevant 100%.
There's no such thing as a perfect copy.
Regardless, I am not going to pay for something that is admittedly far from as close to perfect as I can get.
further, a band releasing music has no obligation (to fans) to do anything any particular way. so nyeah.
okay. so?

I've lost track of my quote tags so I'm done.
"It's like growing up reading good books or listening to good music. One good sofa breeds another good sofa; one bad sofa breeds another bad sofa. That's how it goes."

Offline harvey danger

• Machinae Prime
  • Werd
« Reply #29 on: October 11, 2007, 10:22:03 pm »
further, a band releasing music has no obligation (to fans) to do anything any particular way. so nyeah.
okay. so?

So why are you complaining when nobody but you cares, and the band has no obligation to cater to your demands? It's not an inferior product when it's the market standard for audio. It's a standard product. That's like complaining that every steak on the market isn't filet mignon.
That's the problem with heroes, really. Their only purpose in life is to thwart others. They make no plans, develop no strategies. They react instead of act. Without villains, heroes would stagnate. Without heroes, villains would be running the world. Heroes have morals. Villains have work ethic.