Author Topic: New Radiohead Album  (Read 7459 times)

Offline harvey danger

• Machinae Prime
  • Werd
New Radiohead Album
« on: October 01, 2007, 11:43:06 pm »
In ten days yaaaaaaay!  :D

They just announced it last night. It's like a late birthday present from the band to me!
That's the problem with heroes, really. Their only purpose in life is to thwart others. They make no plans, develop no strategies. They react instead of act. Without villains, heroes would stagnate. Without heroes, villains would be running the world. Heroes have morals. Villains have work ethic.

Offline Jack Lupino

• Worst Dude
  • Machinae Prime
Re: New Radiohead Album
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2007, 01:31:56 am »
Radiohead is awesome. Ill have a looksee when it comes out. I hope there will be a new music video released aswell.

Or is it already released? :O

Offline harvey danger

• Machinae Prime
  • Werd
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2007, 01:49:07 am »
Not yet. They're releasing one CD on the 10th of October for download from their site. They're releasing a double CD (with lyric booklets and two vinyl records) for 40 GBP, and those'll ship on Dec. 3rd.
That's the problem with heroes, really. Their only purpose in life is to thwart others. They make no plans, develop no strategies. They react instead of act. Without villains, heroes would stagnate. Without heroes, villains would be running the world. Heroes have morals. Villains have work ethic.

Offline Jack Lupino

• Worst Dude
  • Machinae Prime
Radiohead letting you pay whatever the hell you want
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2007, 10:44:02 am »
I read on the news somewhere that they will have the buyer decide the price or something?

EDIT : Found it.

Radiohead's PR company (Nasty Little Man) sent out a release explaining that the new album will not have any promos at all and also confirming that you can pay whatever you want for the downloads.

There will be no advances, promotional copies, digital streams, media sites, etc. of RADIOHEAD's In Rainbows.

Everyone in the world will be getting the music at the same time: Oct. 10. That includes us. We don't have anything to play anyone in the nine days until the record is available. Everyone at nasty has put his or her order in and just to clarify: you are not being asked to pay for a promo (as some have inquired). you can pay nothing or as much or as little as you want.

There will be no promotional copies of the discbox either, as each discbox is being made to order. Sorry.

While many industry observers speculated that Radiohead might go off-label for its seventh album, it was presumed the band would at least rely on Apple's iTunes or United Kingdom-based online music store 7digital for distribution. Few suspected the band members had the ambition (or the server capacity) to put an album out on their own. The final decision was apparently made just a few weeks ago, and, when informed of the news on Sunday, several record executives admitted that, despite the rumors, they were stunned. "This feels like yet another death knell," emailed an A&R executive at a major European label. "If the best band in the world doesn't want a part of us, I'm not sure what's left for this business."

Labels can still be influential and profitable by focusing on younger acts that need their muscle to get radio play and placement in record stores — but only if the music itself remains a saleable commodity. "That's the interesting part of all this," says a producer who works primarily with American rap artists. "Radiohead is the best band in the world; if you can pay whatever you want for music by the best band in the world, why would you pay $13 dollars or $.99 cents for music by somebody less talented? Once you open that door and start giving music away legally, I'm not sure there's any going back."

« Last Edit: October 02, 2007, 10:45:51 am by Radicz0r »

Offline evilcandybag

• of Fire
  • Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
  • Armoured Tanks of Mass Destruction
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2007, 04:27:53 pm »
I'm not a fan of Radiohead, but I might make a donation because of this.
"Actually, wooden stakes are for vampires. Wooden steaks are for vegetarians."

Offline harvey danger

• Machinae Prime
  • Werd
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2007, 08:48:22 pm »
I think I might buy the discbox... it's expensive, but damn does it look cool. Of course, this is after I download the music on the 10th.  :D Whether I'll pay or not, I'm not sure. Screw it, I'm paying. I love the band too much not to.

Offline L'homme magique

• Machinae Prime
  • Stay Calm
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2007, 09:41:37 pm »
I'll illegally download a lossless copy. Digital distribution should never be compressed. Jesus.

OF COURSE LOL THIS IS ASSUMPTION SINCE ITS NOT OUT YET -- IT MIGHT BE FLAC!!?
"It's like growing up reading good books or listening to good music. One good sofa breeds another good sofa; one bad sofa breeds another bad sofa. That's how it goes."

Offline Gazus

• Trackers @t Work
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2007, 10:22:41 pm »
If I remember well what I read on french news about it, people'll have the choice about compression, DRM or not, etc.
OMFG LEGO Machinae !

klegak age at 18 isthe shit poh oh oah happy newyear

Offline L'homme magique

• Machinae Prime
  • Stay Calm
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2007, 04:55:58 am »
good.
"It's like growing up reading good books or listening to good music. One good sofa breeds another good sofa; one bad sofa breeds another bad sofa. That's how it goes."

Offline Sirix

• Self proclaimed forum Villain
  • Community Supporter
  • Machinae Prime
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2007, 06:42:24 pm »
I knew about the new album, but hadn't heard about the whole pay-no pay thing.

this is some cool frigging stuff.

<3 to Radiohead.

Offline SomethingApt

• Machinae Prime
  • [this space for rent]
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2007, 02:45:08 pm »
Well... it's out today.

I gave it a download this morning (paid a fiver for it), and it sounded pretty good... Need to give it a few more listens though...

BTW: The download contains 160kb/s mp3s, with no drm, and you don't get to choose anything different.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2007, 02:48:02 pm by SomethingApt »

Offline Sirix

• Self proclaimed forum Villain
  • Community Supporter
  • Machinae Prime
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2007, 05:38:09 pm »
Also downloaded it this morning.

I thoroughly enjoy the first song ;)

here's to the rest!

Offline harvey danger

• Machinae Prime
  • Werd
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2007, 05:41:26 pm »
Too sleepy to listen now. Will listen... later. Some time. >_>

Offline Pete

« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2007, 06:42:13 pm »
Protip: The album is quite good

Offline L'homme magique

• Machinae Prime
  • Stay Calm
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2007, 09:53:11 pm »
BTW: The download contains 160kb/s mp3s, with no drm, and you don't get to choose anything different.
Weak.