Author Topic: Music and Lyrics  (Read 1896 times)

Offline harvey danger

• Machinae Prime
  • Werd
Music and Lyrics
« on: September 18, 2007, 09:34:01 am »
This actually has nothing to do with the movie.  ;D

I'm looking for help in writing lyrics to music.

I've always been able to write poetry well, and I've just recently started making my own music. The problem is, I can never seem to find a way to pair the poetry and the music, if you get what I mean. I can't write lyrics for the life of me, and I'm convinced that part of the reason for that is me not knowing where to start. I've tried before, but I always just wind up scrapping the idea for the lyrics or the music because I can't find anything to put them with, I have the emotion to express (and I need to express it, desperately), but it's just so frustrating not having any idea on how to do so.

So, I was wondering if you guys had any tips. Is there a formula to the way you write music? Or am I just not creative enough?  :P

* Harvey McLollerpants goes back to writing his paper on developmental psychology that's due tomorrow.
That's the problem with heroes, really. Their only purpose in life is to thwart others. They make no plans, develop no strategies. They react instead of act. Without villains, heroes would stagnate. Without heroes, villains would be running the world. Heroes have morals. Villains have work ethic.

Offline Jack Lupino

• Worst Dude
  • Machinae Prime
Re: Music and Lyrics
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2007, 11:22:01 am »
Most of the times, i make up a melody first, a singing line to go with the music.
Then, i mostly make up random words that fit. After that, finetune the sentences and make it actually feel like a story or something with a content.

Offline yas‮

• The laziest one.
  • I believe in respawn.
    • Me on SoundCloud
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2007, 05:55:43 pm »
I just need a melody too. Then I come up with the lyrics. Then I make the music fit it, or vice versa.

Lysix

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2007, 08:50:45 pm »
generally, i write lyrics first, think of how they'll be sung and work music around that :)

Offline harvey danger

• Machinae Prime
  • Werd
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2007, 11:45:29 pm »
Well, let me give an example.

I was inspired last summer to make a song for a girl that is very special to me. The entirety of the instrumental part of that song has been finished. I just can't think of any lyrics, though. Especially considering I have a general idea of what I want them to be about. I can't find a way to make it fit. I don't want to just find words that rhyme and are vaguely reminiscent of the original sentiment...
That's the problem with heroes, really. Their only purpose in life is to thwart others. They make no plans, develop no strategies. They react instead of act. Without villains, heroes would stagnate. Without heroes, villains would be running the world. Heroes have morals. Villains have work ethic.