Author Topic: Rock Video Closes In  (Read 63247 times)

Offline yas‮

• The laziest one.
  • I believe in respawn.
    • Me on SoundCloud
Re: Rock Video Closes In
« Reply #300 on: October 03, 2007, 10:26:39 pm »
But not bad for your first music video.  ;)

I don't think it's a much of a compliment, looking at your avatar O0

Offline L'homme magique

• Machinae Prime
  • Stay Calm
« Reply #301 on: October 03, 2007, 10:32:34 pm »
Probably the worst vid I've ever seen. Sorry, guys. There's no way I can praise this. I'm with Ant.
"It's like growing up reading good books or listening to good music. One good sofa breeds another good sofa; one bad sofa breeds another bad sofa. That's how it goes."

Offline not12x

• Propogating via osmosis
    • Yojne : Photography
« Reply #302 on: October 03, 2007, 10:34:39 pm »
This video pains me to watch.

I honestly don't know anything that I could say that isn't pretty flagrant, so I'll just abbreviate.

1) Cliche.  So cliche that i refuse to put the accent over the e.
2) Rob looks like a combination of Eminem and the backup singer from Linkin Park.  Which, theoretically, isn't bad, but it is in this context.
3) Wtf story?  There's a kid with a ticket in an empty room.  There's not enough of him doing *anything* substantial to call it a story.  It's just a distraction from...
4) You guys are just playing.  A really expensive, long delayed video of you guys with crazy muted/pumped up colors, just playing like you normally would.
5) Gordon doesn't get nearly enough face time.  Or chest time.  Or even silhouette time.  Come on, he's quite sexy; if you guys want to capitalize, start capitalizing on that something fierce.
6) Unnatural lighting.  If that were a REAL warehouse that you were just happening to play in for the fun of it, you guys would be entirely silhouetted out by the windows behind you.  Which would probably be better than this washed out/supercolor... thing.

"To change takes more than to remain."
Truth.  The first "rock video" changes absolutely nothing.

Offline Waruar

• "You're all going to die."
« Reply #303 on: October 03, 2007, 10:40:47 pm »
I don't think it's a much of a compliment, looking at your avatar O0
Errrr, I think I just missed something here.
What on Earth has my avatar to do with my compliment?

Or could you possibly be referring to my rather displeased facial expression?  :D

"I make the angel scream, and the devil cry!"

Offline L'homme magique

• Machinae Prime
  • Stay Calm
« Reply #304 on: October 03, 2007, 10:43:57 pm »
You should change your avatar text to "rock and roll detective" is what he is saying, you luscious blondie.
"It's like growing up reading good books or listening to good music. One good sofa breeds another good sofa; one bad sofa breeds another bad sofa. That's how it goes."

Offline WereVolvo

• IRC Love Butter supplier
  • Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
  • Volvot ulvoo kuun savuun!
    • My personal site
« Reply #305 on: October 03, 2007, 10:48:11 pm »
Purge the heretic unbelievers from our ranks!

Nah, it's ok... I can see why some people don't like it at all... I mean, it was rather different than what I expected myself, and it took me a few plays to decide that I actually loved it. Considering the resources they used on it, I think it's a decent effort. It's not like it was a hugely expensive video to make or anything... sorry, not12xm but you're wrong about the really expensive part ;)
<@Torp> I have seen your melted pussy!

Real Dwarfs wall themselves in once they are underground, and survive through incest and cat farming.

Offline L'homme magique

• Machinae Prime
  • Stay Calm
« Reply #306 on: October 03, 2007, 10:49:53 pm »
you're wrong about the really expensive part
could have been done on a handheld DV camera, man. way too expensive for what is shots of the band playing.

Offline mumppis

• I Know The mumppis
« Reply #307 on: October 03, 2007, 10:52:14 pm »
well its mostly of becasue the people doesnt undestand what a video usually costs and the video these guys i think waited would cost around 20000 euros. this one was made with a minium amount of money and it looks much better than billion other videos that are same kind. it's a very good first video and now that the band has the hang on what video making requires i bet the next one will own everything. that video that they fimed would cost about 4000-5000euros to produce elsewhere

Offline Pete

« Reply #308 on: October 03, 2007, 10:55:09 pm »
 I want to remake the video using Gmod and random garden tools.

Offline furinto

« Reply #309 on: October 03, 2007, 10:55:15 pm »
and the shot where rob stands there in sort of contemplating epicness (3:48).
Eh, that was my least favorite part.. it looks so awkward and out-of-place. It's like the director didn't know what to put in that part of the video, so had Rob just stand there. I prefered his jumping and jiving over that uncomfortable stillness and puzzled expression.

Annie

« Reply #310 on: October 03, 2007, 11:02:02 pm »
Was I the only one who thought the way Rob was "dancing", if you could call it that, was.. unnecessary? I just really, really didn't like that, probably the least favorite part of the video, and why I was a bit disappointed.

Offline Torp v2.0

• Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
  • Happiness is Mandatory!
    • My homepage
« Reply #311 on: October 03, 2007, 11:09:28 pm »
I'm going to agree with Waruar on this one. The video is rather standard issue. It is basically the band playing, in an abandoned industrial facility. I had hoped for something different. Something more akin to the Cryosleep vid, maybe (which I love). Something which really stands out from the generic mass of rock videos.

That said, it has its moments. The closeups of Rob singing with the band in the background looks good, and isn't something I've seen before. They don't use any cheesy gimmicks like many other bands. It doesn't even play on sex :P (points to not12x.5). I, for one, don't dislike Robs dancing moves, except for some of the stuff he does while not singing (which looks a bit like he doesn't know where to put himself, so he just starts dancing to have something to do).

So, yeah, good first video. I would like to see something less cliche next time, though. And slightly more synching between the music and the stuff happening in the video.

("something less cliche" does translate into "something more risky" in businessspeak, though)

And, Annie: The way Rob dances is actually the same as he usually does on stage, from what I've gathered.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2007, 11:55:03 pm by Torp »
...why Torp was picked over you... HE'S JUST BETTER THAN YOU IN EVERY RESPECT. -SomethingGood
<Radicz0r> Torp is well prepared for universal destruction

[03:18:49] <WereVolvo> ARCTIC
[03:18:51] <WereVolvo> not arctic

Annie

« Reply #312 on: October 03, 2007, 11:11:13 pm »
Bleh, this is actually the only video I've ever seen, I probably shouldn't have made assumptions. I still don't like it, though. >:

Offline furinto

« Reply #313 on: October 03, 2007, 11:26:03 pm »
Was I the only one who thought the way Rob was "dancing", if you could call it that, was.. unnecessary?
Hm, I think I have to agree. His dancing is goofy, and I understand it's him being himself. Can't fault that. The only thing is it's sort of.. out of place. Like it didn't belong, whether due to the particular song or what I'm not sure.  I've seen his jumping around a little in fan recordings of live gigs ever since he went guitar-less, so I was kind of expecting (and dreading) it.

Offline MashedByMachines

• That guy
  • Community Supporter
  • Skala lök?
    • Music
« Reply #314 on: October 03, 2007, 11:35:34 pm »
I don´t know if it´s beacuse I am such a hyperfanboy, but I loved everything with it  :D

http://mashedbymachines.newgrounds.com/

Believing in a zombieman from outer space who is his own father is pretty funny, but that's not what MaSu is about //yas