Author Topic: New MaSu vocalist, sensitive topic?  (Read 17932 times)

Offline Scope

New MaSu vocalist, sensitive topic?
« on: August 01, 2007, 04:54:16 pm »
I've been listening and loving Machinae Supremacy for a very long time now. I have never been bothered by the vocals of Robert, but I have been spreading the word about the band for as long as I've listened to them. And everyone I've introduced MaSu to has disliked the vocals as being too whining and nasal. This is no disrespect to Robert or any of you all MaSu fans out there, but I believe that a new vocalist would be necessary to broaden the spread of listeners. As always this is a very sensitive subject since the singer of a band always gets the attention, and as Robert Stjärnström composes most of the music himself (like the whole JnG-soundtrack) he probably doesnt want to step down as the leadsinger.
Robert is definately a qualified singer (I've seen him live also) but some people just don't have that special voice that everyone likes (or at least doesnt dislike).

What do you guys think? I hope I dont start a flamewar now ;)
I wanted to change the world, but God wouldn't give me the source code.

http://www.audioscrobbler.com/user/sc0pen/

Lysix

Re: New MaSu vocalist, sensitive topic?
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2007, 05:47:47 pm »
i love roberts voice and i hope he never backs down from lead vocalist.

Offline yas‮

• The laziest one.
  • I believe in respawn.
    • Me on SoundCloud
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2007, 06:01:20 pm »
His voice makes MaSu the MaSu. No stepping down, never.

Offline SomethingApt

• Machinae Prime
  • [this space for rent]
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2007, 06:23:27 pm »
Personally, I love Rob's voice, but I can see why some people get put off by it (I wasn't particularly fond of the vocals at first, but they grew on me over time). If they changed to someone with a slightly more instantly likeable voice, they might get a few more casual listeners, but like yasiekk said, Machinae just wouldn't be the same with a different singer. I think Rob's voice suits their style and sound perfectly, and I certainly don't want that to change.

Offline WereVolvo

• IRC Love Butter supplier
  • Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
  • Volvot ulvoo kuun savuun!
    • My personal site
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2007, 06:24:42 pm »
* talhoffer fires up the flamethrower

Nah, jk ;). I personally like Rob's voice, it has grace and character. I can sorta see your point tho... I wouldn't exactly describe it as whining, but I can understand that some people would call it that. It comes down to personal preference tho. And changing lead vocals to break through bigtime is exactly the sort of thing the band would NOT do... if they did, they'd probably lose most of their current fanbase. It's not about Rob's voice alone, it's the overall sound, the awesome composition and their overall attitude towards things in general (not to mention their close relationship with us fans).

EDIT: bleh, beaten by SomethingApt.
<@Torp> I have seen your melted pussy!

Real Dwarfs wall themselves in once they are underground, and survive through incest and cat farming.

Offline mumppis

• I Know The mumppis
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2007, 06:30:55 pm »
pretty much flame sensitive topic but everyone has their opinion keep it clean as for myself I love roberts singing its evolved soo much and its one thing that makes masu what it is

Lysix

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2007, 07:24:17 pm »
i can see why people may find it difficult to like it on first hearing, but its really something that does grow on you. not everyones gonna like his voice, but they'll just become slaves to him once machinae achieve world domination

Offline Bavi_H

• Robert Hart's Homepage
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2007, 07:58:10 pm »
words > voice

Offline Scope

« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2007, 08:55:54 pm »
I really didn't want this thread to become all about subjective opinions about roberts voice since this is a fan-forum and it is quite obvious that everyone loves or at least accepts Roberts voice, otherwise you wouldnt be listening to MaSu.
First of all to all of you that says "I love Roberts voice" etc. it would be better if you told us WHY, like taffold ("...it has grace and character") or like Bavi H ("words > voice").
I believe alot of singers are just accepted because they're a part of the group and style of the music, even though there are other singers that would sound alot better, but they cant just change singers like instruments or samples in a song.
I think most people just accepts Roberts singing or lets it grow on you like SomethingApt wrote, just because the music overall is so good.
Again I'm not disrespecting Roberts singing or anyone else's subjective opinion about his voice. This is just what I think.
Roberts true talent lies in composing music not singing, he's still a decent singer, but the lack of voice makes him sing nasaly and strained, and that type of singing has become a part of that original style they have (which we all in this forum likes).
MaSu will most likely never even consider replacing Robert, but it would be very interesting if MaSu would have a guest leadsinger in a song (non female).

It would also be interesting to hear about your favourite singers in other bands, and why you like them, and how the voice or how they sings adds some special ingredient to the fullness of their music!

Offline Laser.T

• 日本人ですか?
  • Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2007, 09:15:45 pm »
You can't have an opinion without being subjective, even if you have reasons behind your opinion they're still subjective because you are swaying towards a decision. In other words, the people who told you they don't like Robert's voice for whatever reason are as subjective as the people here who answer that they love his voice.

The only way to look at this question objectively is to approach Robert's voice without any prior opinions or feelings about his voice and conduct a study of how it compares to other voices without the factor "it's better/worse than...".

Don't mind me, just being a pedantic bastard fresh from studying English language.

And by all means carry on ;)

Offline Jack Lupino

• Worst Dude
  • Machinae Prime
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2007, 09:43:58 pm »
I think it suits perfectly for songs as Reanimator..

"Sleep and fade away.. "

Could you imagine else ?

Offline Del.

« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2007, 09:44:52 pm »
Now that wouldn't really be MaSu anymore, would it?

Why would they do changes in the line-up just to please that ''bigger audiance'' anyway? That would just be stupid.

Offline Scope

« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2007, 09:55:55 pm »
You can't have an opinion without being subjective, even if you have reasons behind your opinion they're still subjective because you are swaying towards a decision. In other words, the people who told you they don't like Robert's voice for whatever reason are as subjective as the people here who answer that they love his voice.

The only way to look at this question objectively is to approach Robert's voice without any prior opinions or feelings about his voice and conduct a study of how it compares to other voices without the factor "it's better/worse than...".

Don't mind me, just being a pedantic bastard fresh from studying English language.

And by all means carry on ;)

Think about judges, they have to be objective (obey any rules about complexity etc.) and then rate the performance as a mixture of objectivity and subjectivity. They cant rate someone badly just because they dont personally like that performance since the complexity is so high, so they can only adjust the rating upon the subjective opinion about how good the performance was. On paper it might me 8/10 in complexity, but the final rating might be 6/10.

If we were to judge someones vocals we have to bring in some facts into the discussion, like the range,pitch and power of the voice etc. And then with our subjective opinion rate each of them upon complexity.
We cant just say "I like it, I give it 10/10" and then calculate an average rating.

Unfortunately ppl are blinded by their subjectivity, they cant find any objective "errors" in something they like.

That is why I commented about everyones subjetive opinion.

Offline Bocom

• SiteDeveloper
  • I'm in despair!
    • Woah there!
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2007, 10:02:16 pm »
Rob's voice kinda grows upon you. That's you I love it. He has a really good if you really listen to it!
This quote is out of context:
<Bocom> I'm also going to see Quantum of Solace later
<Syndicated> Bocom: it is fucking scary
(@Radicz0r) Fuck! Its friday, and you wankers are talking about PIE. Pie! What the hell?

Offline Scope

« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2007, 10:03:37 pm »
I think it suits perfectly for songs as Reanimator..

"Sleep and fade away.. "

Could you imagine else ?

You are absolutely right, Robert's way of singing suits that song very well with it's long tones.
But I feel that the reason he sings that way (in all songs) is because of limitations in his voice.
And fortunately it suits those kindof songs very well.