Author Topic: retroactive vacation  (Read 2618 times)

Offline PrescriptiveBarony

• Machinae Prime
  • Let there be blacklight.
retroactive vacation
« on: July 25, 2007, 12:01:27 am »
So it turns out i took a break for the past week. Wasn't my fault though; compy decided it was too high-and-mighty, hoity-toity for AC in any longer, and I had to send it to be re-educated downtown. Dragging their highly-paid feet, the facilitators only just returned my baby to me, and now i am engaged in the massive undertaking of reading your accumulated ramblings upon this very forum.

and as an anti-bonus, the promises of grandeur re: ipod scrobbling made me by last.fm have proven fruitless and disappointing.

i'm testing out a new post-modern writing style. lemme know how it's working out.

Quote from: Drakonis
Everybody should just <3.

Offline Jack Lupino

• Worst Dude
  • Machinae Prime
Re: retroactive vacation
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2007, 12:28:07 am »
Awhh you should just be happy with any vacation you get :D

Offline Gravehill

• Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
  • Dignity! Strength! Love!
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2007, 12:35:09 am »
Your new style works like carbonmonoxide. No, not like carbonmonoxide, you can't use that phrase in English, I guess. Well... Your new style works like lavatory of train. Damn. I fail again. Translating Finnish phrases into English doesn't work well. Since Finnish style doesn't work I try Laconian style instead :

"It works."
Random ramblings and furious feminine novels per versatility.

Offline evilcandybag

• of Fire
  • Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
  • Armoured Tanks of Mass Destruction
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2007, 01:04:23 am »
There is a huge gap between "chokes you to death", "reeks of piss" and "It works". Finns are really strange.
"Actually, wooden stakes are for vampires. Wooden steaks are for vegetarians."

Offline Gravehill

• Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2007, 06:47:04 am »
True, so true. Those are not even the strangest sayings here in Finland. If you want some one to take it easy you could say to him "jäitä hattuun" which is roughly translated "put some ice in your hat". Or if someone dies you can say "hän heitti lusikkansa nurkkaan" which is "he threw his spoon at the corner". Both sayings have their historical background which, generally speaking, most of Finns are not aware of. That "ice in the hat" saying is from one leprosy colony in southern Finland (Seili) where they treated mental patients as well. They had, some hundred years ago, some sort of funnel-hat there where they put some ice to cool down patients brains which ought to cure them. And that's from where that saying comes from. Other saying about throwing the spoon comes from fact that Finns, in history, ate their meals from common vessel, often cauldron or something. They ate it with their personal wood spoons. They kept their spoons at the cracks between logs at ceiling, usually at corner of the room where the table was. When person died his spoon stayed at the corner, abandoned.

So yes, Finns are strange. I tell more about carbonmonoxide and train lavatory later. Maybe.

Offline PrescriptiveBarony

• Machinae Prime
  • Let there be blacklight.
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2007, 07:31:04 am »

So yes, Finns are strange. I tell more about carbonmonoxide and train lavatory later. Maybe.

oh, you tease!

Quote from: Drakonis
Everybody should just <3.

Offline Trias

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2007, 10:03:27 am »
We also have "den Löffel abgeben" in German, which means something like "to hand in/put away/... the spoon"....

Offline Gravehill

• Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2007, 09:16:18 pm »
Interesting fact considering that Finns and Germans have done lots of trade and have centuries long common cultural exchange in history. Interesting indeed. Finns and Germans do have the spoon to throw/hand in/put away but some still insist that there is no spoon... There is no death? Funny...