Author Topic: World In Conflict  (Read 1364 times)

Offline Pete

World In Conflict
« on: July 12, 2007, 02:32:38 am »
w00000t! Open Beta just...opened for download, and I've got my grubby mits on it and downloading away. I shall post up my thoughts on it after playing a bit, but for the moment I'm wondering if anyone else is interested in it?

Offline Pete

Re: World In Conflict
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2007, 07:53:49 pm »
Well, from what I have now played it seems to be rather satisfying. It's definately an RTS, but there are many core gameplay mechanics that are missing such as vspene gas and minerals. Delicious minerals. Basically, the only 'resource system' would be the one that you use to call in special attacks such as artillery bombardments. This gam,e is all about action.

I was initially surprised at the low number of units that you get to control in teh Beta - maybe 6 tanks at once - but it focuses your attention on them and lets you look after them. The small number of units per player is balanced somewhat by the fact that you can have 8 players per team.

The game mode that they have in the beta sees you trying to capture and hold strategic points to increase the score for your team. Get a high enough score over your opponents, and they lose. As your team's score increases, your opponents drops which means that it is quite possible for teams to make surprising comebacks.

Another thing about the game is the rock/paper/scissors type gameplay. Units are only good against certain other units and this should encourage teamplay. Unfortunately, quite often people seem to ignore the rather well implemented request/command system to communicate with others and it gets a bit messy at the moment. But that should get better eventually.

Eh, spontaneous reviews by Pete.

Here's some screenshots by me, did  mention that it looks really damn good? The camera system is one of my favourite things -  I hardly ever play in a standard RTS view as I can run around through the sky like some godly spectator in a FPS due to the camera contorls being mapped to the WASD keys. Look around by holding down the third mouse button (or scroll wheel) and mouse looking. The graphics engine is awesome for this -  you can look over the entire battlefield with no change in performance:

This is on medium settings (images scaled for convenience), which I can run pleasingly on my machine. Hell, I can even set the settings higher, but it does lag a little when theres a lot of action on screen which is quite bad for what is currently a multiplayer exclusive beta :x

So anyway, anyone wanna play with me on the beta?