Author Topic: A CHALLENGER APPEARS  (Read 4874 times)

Offline L'homme magique

• Machinae Prime
  • Stay Calm
Re: A CHALLENGER APPEARS
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2007, 12:08:12 am »
Tima, no. Maybe $1200 for a high-end machine that will last you for longer than a console cycle, and be upgradable after that for less than the price of a new console ~tima

Also you have to consider that the PC can do many other things besides just play games, so it is a better investment ~tima
"It's like growing up reading good books or listening to good music. One good sofa breeds another good sofa; one bad sofa breeds another bad sofa. That's how it goes."

Offline harvey danger

• Machinae Prime
  • Werd
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2007, 12:14:52 am »
Tima, no. Maybe $1200 for a high-end machine that will last you for longer than a console cycle, and be upgradable after that for less than the price of a new console ~tima

Also you have to consider that the PC can do many other things besides just play games, so it is a better investment ~tima

It was an exaggeration.  :P It may last longer than a console cycle, but after a couple of years it will be outdated, whereas a console will still be going strong. You may be able to upgrade once for a price less than a new console, but what about the second time? And then after that, you'll probably want a new computer.

The functionality is a trade-off. Get more for more money, but then you're not guaranteed all the latest games will work. On a console, it's a sure thing. And at that, consoles are starting to branch out into other media. The Wii already has a web browser, it won't be long before something like that is refined and added into new consoles. On top of that, the 360 now has Windows Messenger functionality. I don't think it'd be long before there was a console with a word processor.  :-X
That's the problem with heroes, really. Their only purpose in life is to thwart others. They make no plans, develop no strategies. They react instead of act. Without villains, heroes would stagnate. Without heroes, villains would be running the world. Heroes have morals. Villains have work ethic.

Offline Einkoro

• Machinae Prime
  • ~tima
    • http://www.janpingel.com/
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2007, 12:29:23 am »
Don't forget the price of a HDTV and surround sound system for your console. ~tima

The biggest issue for me is that consoles just don't tend to have any games that interest me. ~tima I have no idea why they only seem to come out on PC but even there it seems to be fewer and fewer each year. ~tima Thinking back there was really only Perfect Dark on the n64, a few odd games on the PS1/PS2 and I think maybe one or two on the xbox. So far the 360/Wii/PS3 have absolutely nothing of interest released. ~tima
« Last Edit: June 14, 2007, 12:32:53 am by Einkoro »
"Don't believe anyone when they tell you irony is just a literary convention. It's a universal constant, like the coefficient of gravity." - Alfred Bester

Offline L'homme magique

• Machinae Prime
  • Stay Calm
« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2007, 12:30:44 am »
And at that, consoles are starting to branch out into other media.
and hey they're costing more and more ~tima
"It's like growing up reading good books or listening to good music. One good sofa breeds another good sofa; one bad sofa breeds another bad sofa. That's how it goes."

Offline harvey danger

• Machinae Prime
  • Werd
« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2007, 12:32:59 am »
Don't forget the price of a HDTV and surround sound system for your console. ~tima

The biggest issue for me is that consoles just don't tend to have any games that interest me. ~tima I have no idea why they only seem to come out on PC but even there it seems to be fewer and fewer each year. ~tima

I wish I could afford an HDTV.  :(

I can see what you mean by the not having any games, though. I went through a period of a complete lack of RTS games because I didn't have the money for a new computer. Luckily for me, though, I enjoy the various shooters and occasional baseball game.

And at that, consoles are starting to branch out into other media.
and hey they're costing more and more ~tima

From what I recall, the Gamecube was $250 when it debuted.
That's the problem with heroes, really. Their only purpose in life is to thwart others. They make no plans, develop no strategies. They react instead of act. Without villains, heroes would stagnate. Without heroes, villains would be running the world. Heroes have morals. Villains have work ethic.

Offline L'homme magique

• Machinae Prime
  • Stay Calm
« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2007, 12:43:48 am »
N64, $200
Gamecube, $250
Xbox, $300
Wii, $250 (?)
Xbox 360, $400
PlayStation 3, $600

you can get a decent midrange computer for $700 that will play many games and have much more functionality than a PS3 ~tima

Offline harvey danger

• Machinae Prime
  • Werd
« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2007, 12:50:29 am »
N64, $200
Gamecube, $250
Xbox, $300
Wii, $250 (?)
Xbox 360, $400
PlayStation 3, $600

you can get a decent midrange computer for $700 that will play many games and have much more functionality than a PS3 ~tima

I think that's more an argument against the PS3 than for a PC. And I want to see these $700 PCs. It would've been nice to know about them when I was looking to buy a year ago.  :( Unless you mean Dell?

Offline Fallout

• Machinae Prime
« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2007, 12:53:08 am »
Could a mod split the thread or something? A pretty good topic could come out of the pc vs consoles discussion, but it doesnt belong in this thread.