Author Topic: Tabbing tools?  (Read 3624 times)

Offline Verruckter

Tabbing tools?
« on: June 10, 2007, 06:59:38 am »
I'm currently trying (really hard) to tab Sidology Episode 1... but the guitars are mixed rather low compared to the synth so it's incredibly hard to tell what they're actually playing (even the rythmic is hard). Anyone know of any tool that could help me? I need names, not just "that software that can do that thing".

Offline Blue Devil

• Official MaSu Tab Maker
Re: Tabbing tools?
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2007, 07:29:48 am »
I use a program called Guitar Rig by Native Instruments for figuring out the notes, and Guitar Pro for putting the notes together. But Guitar Rig would be pointless for you unless you also want to play your guitar through the computer, plus it's a couple hundred dollars.

Offline Verruckter

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2007, 07:33:10 am »
I'm more looking for something that could help me separate the layers of sound (if that's even possible). I tried using the EQ to cut all the high notes (to figure out the chords) but it doesn't work very well.

Offline Blue Devil

• Official MaSu Tab Maker
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2007, 07:46:18 am »
The only way you'll be able to cut out certain layers of the song is by going 100 years in the future, or by getting the master tracks from the guys themselves. (You've got a better chance of going 100 years in the future)

You just gotta toughen out, and try your best to get what you can out of it.

But there is a way to get rid of the center track (which may be the synth stuff you're trying to get past)
1. Download Audacity (It's free)
2. Open up the song in Audacity
3. Click on the down arrow that is on the song's track
4. Select "Split Stereo Track"
5. Click on the down arrow's again, and choose "Mono" for both of the tracks
6. Select one of the tracks entirely, and go to "Effects" on the top bar, then "Invert"

It'll sound somewhat bad, but the center track will be gone (or a lot quieter)

Offline Bavi_H

• Robert Hart's Homepage
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2007, 09:01:42 pm »

Here are some things that are useful when transcribing music.

* Slowing it down with out affecting the pitch.
* Using "vocal elimination" (center track removal) to see if you can hear any hidden melodies or parts.

I use the PaceMaker plug-in for Winamp to slow things down. The newest version also has a "Remove vocals" option.

And now a question:

Once I tried out a program called Transcribe, an audio player with options helpful for transcription (like slowing down without affecting pitch and removing vocals). Something it had was a special "piano analyzer." Think of a spectrum analyzer, but instead of kilohertz, the scale is piano key pitches.

The Transcribe program isn't free, so I only used it during a trial period. Has anyone seen this kind of "piano analyzer" in free software?

Offline grey

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2007, 01:57:09 pm »
windows media player is able to slow down songs as well. ;)