Author Topic: Fallout 3!  (Read 36654 times)

Offline megadokyo

• Everybody gets one.
  • Community Supporter
  • Machinae Prime
  • Ima ween!
    • HyperDuck SoundWorks
Re: Fallout 3!
« Reply #75 on: November 09, 2008, 11:05:46 pm »
Is it 100% FPS or is there 3rd person mode optional? Or does it switch throughout the story, which is preferable?

Lysix

« Reply #76 on: November 09, 2008, 11:11:51 pm »
You can switch between the two at any time. [:

Offline megadokyo

• Everybody gets one.
  • Community Supporter
  • Machinae Prime
  • Ima ween!
    • HyperDuck SoundWorks
« Reply #77 on: November 09, 2008, 11:16:09 pm »
Huzzah!

Offline Irrationalist

« Reply #78 on: November 14, 2008, 05:31:45 am »
So I've done my first playthough on Hard and am almost done on Very Hard (my exploration file). The game doesn't seem nearly as massive as Oblivion did but atleast each "cave" has its own charm or backstory that make it worth looking through. I feel this game was rather well done and loved both VATS and the first person aiming. I did feel that VATS doing more damage automatically was stupid but not enough to warrant me hating it. I think where the game was rather weak was around the storyline. I mean the scene and setting were great fun and somehow the charm was lost on the story. It all ends up with a lackluster ending as well regardless of which one you get.

Gets a 9.8/10 from me.

Ankle

« Reply #79 on: November 14, 2008, 07:54:17 am »
For those heart broken over not being able to kill children like 1 and 2, we can now: http://www.fallout3nexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=376

Offline Irrationalist

« Reply #80 on: November 14, 2008, 08:34:28 am »
For those heart broken over not being able to kill children like 1 and 2, we can now: http://www.fallout3nexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=376

Meh is it really that big of a deal to anyone?

Something Caranfin pointed out that was missing was the "dumb run" dialogue. Now that I would have loved.

Ankle

« Reply #81 on: November 14, 2008, 10:47:20 am »

Meh is it really that big of a deal to anyone?

Something Caranfin pointed out that was missing was the "dumb run" dialogue. Now that I would have loved.

It is to magicman and I. I remember the first time I got the child killer status. The hit on the priestess in the church in the hub. Morons ran out in the middle of a fire fight and naturally Ian hit one of them, before hitting me in the back with the blasted smg, and I accidently hit the other with the wonderful .223 (why-o-why is it not in fallout3*cry*). I rather enjoy having consequences for a botched hit. In fallout 2 the little bastards in the den stealing from me totally had it coming; so did everyone in the town who went hostile and defended them. Nothing more enjoyable than taking out a town with aimed punches to the groin.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2008, 10:50:29 am by Einkoro »

Smeagol

« Reply #82 on: November 15, 2008, 11:27:03 pm »
Wait, Fallout 3 has no child-killing, no .223, and is 'Oblivion meets Kotor'? Urgh, that sounds like one of the worst rapes of a series ever. Being able to plant live dynamite on thieving bastard children was what MADE Fallout 2.

Offline Irrationalist

« Reply #83 on: November 16, 2008, 10:33:18 pm »
Never played the other two, and love this game. So if the series was raped for my pleasure so be it.

Offline megadokyo

• Everybody gets one.
  • Community Supporter
  • Machinae Prime
  • Ima ween!
    • HyperDuck SoundWorks
« Reply #84 on: November 16, 2008, 10:41:06 pm »
If you buy a game and slate it on the count of not being able to kill the kids in the game, you may want to seek sound mental advice from a professional, sane.. person.

Offline Deep

« Reply #85 on: November 17, 2008, 02:33:02 am »
Mediocre game. Fun concept, but ruined by a lot of factors. The main storyline is very poor (not long enough, not deep enough) and the ending is rather dull.

The side quests are interesting but there's rarely an incentive to make you want to go out and explore and stumble across new places, and the side quests don't actually add to the storyline, they are just a means to an end (rewards, caps, guns etc). By the time I got to level 20 and got the Explorer perk, when I realised how many places there were to explore it was a little overwhelming (and I'd already completed the game and re-loaded my save game at this point) so I've kinda half-given up on it.

I wish it played more like STALKER. Customisable guns and the like. They had the mechanics there - the Repair function may as well have been changed to a "combine items" function. The equipment/inventory was badly implemented. You can only have a helmet and armour equipped, and there really were very little choices in what you can wear. You found yourself wearing one armour set through the first half of the game(armoured vault 101 suit or Metal Armour), then another armour set through the last half (Tesla armour obviously).

There's rarely a use for half of the guns (I found myself using A3-21's Plasma Rifle throughout the entire game, even to kill radroaches), although by habit I was a walking armoury, with all 8 weapon slots filled (and then some). Never did get a chance to really use the .44 magnum, or the sniper rifle, or the fatman, minigun, missile launcher, the list goes on..

A lot of the perks were a bit.. redundant (case in point Contract Killer/Lawbringer perk - by the time you get these (kill good/bad person for ear/finger, sell to certain person for caps), you already have enough caps to buy whatever you need anyway). I found myself mainly concentrating on the Intense Training perk and maxing out my SPECIAL's so I had lots of health and weight to carry junk.

As with Oblivion, wasn't impressed that the enemies level up with you. It really kills the fun of killing an enemy much much stronger than you through skill, to steal their superior armour/weapon. If the enemies level up with you, all you're get from their corpses is usually exactly what you're wearing anyway.

I would do a bit of a section on the good points of the game, but there aren't many.. I suppose it is enjoyable to play for a while, but I found myself playing it just for the sake of playing, and to advance the storyline more. When you realise how short the main storyline is, it spoils it a bit and puts you off playing it anymore.

Offline harvey danger

• Machinae Prime
  • Werd
« Reply #86 on: November 17, 2008, 05:00:01 am »
Mediocre game. Fun concept, but ruined by a lot of factors. The main storyline is very poor (not long enough, not deep enough) and the ending is rather dull.

The side quests are interesting but there's rarely an incentive to make you want to go out and explore and stumble across new places, and the side quests don't actually add to the storyline, they are just a means to an end (rewards, caps, guns etc). By the time I got to level 20 and got the Explorer perk, when I realised how many places there were to explore it was a little overwhelming (and I'd already completed the game and re-loaded my save game at this point) so I've kinda half-given up on it.

I wish it played more like STALKER. Customisable guns and the like. They had the mechanics there - the Repair function may as well have been changed to a "combine items" function. The equipment/inventory was badly implemented. You can only have a helmet and armour equipped, and there really were very little choices in what you can wear. You found yourself wearing one armour set through the first half of the game(armoured vault 101 suit or Metal Armour), then another armour set through the last half (Tesla armour obviously).

There's rarely a use for half of the guns (I found myself using A3-21's Plasma Rifle throughout the entire game, even to kill radroaches), although by habit I was a walking armoury, with all 8 weapon slots filled (and then some). Never did get a chance to really use the .44 magnum, or the sniper rifle, or the fatman, minigun, missile launcher, the list goes on..

A lot of the perks were a bit.. redundant (case in point Contract Killer/Lawbringer perk - by the time you get these (kill good/bad person for ear/finger, sell to certain person for caps), you already have enough caps to buy whatever you need anyway). I found myself mainly concentrating on the Intense Training perk and maxing out my SPECIAL's so I had lots of health and weight to carry junk.

As with Oblivion, wasn't impressed that the enemies level up with you. It really kills the fun of killing an enemy much much stronger than you through skill, to steal their superior armour/weapon. If the enemies level up with you, all you're get from their corpses is usually exactly what you're wearing anyway.

I would do a bit of a section on the good points of the game, but there aren't many.. I suppose it is enjoyable to play for a while, but I found myself playing it just for the sake of playing, and to advance the storyline more. When you realise how short the main storyline is, it spoils it a bit and puts you off playing it anymore.

I don't need any motivation to explore outside of my own curiosity. I dunno, whenever I play the game I always get really immersed and feel like I'm trapped in the wastes, and that plays into my wanting to scrounge for whatever I can.

As for not using the other guns or finding those explorable locations, that's what multiple playthroughs are for! I fully intend on going through again as an evil character and specializing in big guns and explosives instead of small guns and stealth.

I also don't find myself wearing one set of armor through the game. I change all the time, especially since I can't find anything to repair my armored 101 suit with. :P

I haven't noticed the enemies leveling up with me - I'm level 15 and going to fix the broadcast signal for GNR, and raiders are much easier to kill than they were before. I do see them with slightly upgraded equipment on occasion (mostly in terms of big guns), but I haven't seen laser or plasma weapons or anything like that, and I even still see the occasional sawed-off shotgun and Chinese or .32 pistol.

Oh well. That's what games like this are made for, I suppose. :)
That's the problem with heroes, really. Their only purpose in life is to thwart others. They make no plans, develop no strategies. They react instead of act. Without villains, heroes would stagnate. Without heroes, villains would be running the world. Heroes have morals. Villains have work ethic.

Offline Irrationalist

« Reply #87 on: November 17, 2008, 11:41:18 am »
I agree that the story as a whole was anticlimatic and nothing I really found super special.

Personally I MADE TIME to use every weapon... except the .32 pistol. ; D

My first playthrough was to do most of the quick quests and the story line and I found it quite easy to start exploring the entire map and every cave on my 2nd playthrough. I find myself also getting lost into the game and finding myself playing it over Gearsing sometimes.

The perk system I think was a good idea but poorly implemented. Some perks woulda been cool to have early, some may have been okay to have later. Some perks were stupid (mysterious stranger please) and some were unimaginitive (exp bonus, and more attributes x.x) but as a whole it did flavor up the experience.

One thing I find at fault, which may be partially due to me playing very hard all the time is that I get to level 20 far too fast. Its not as rewarding to cap kids if you dont get anything but caps for it, or for that matter hacking terminals.

I think the leveling if you want to  call it that is far better implemented in F3 than in ES4. I see Radroaches and Deathclaws level 1, and still see both at level 20. Raiders as pointed out by dear Harvey still carry the same weapons and get easier to kill as well.

I do find fault with the lack of choices in the game. I find not being able to have an alternative source of power armor training gravely dissapointing. I get the T1b power armor and cant wear it till the end? That, I'm sorry, is fucking stupid.

Overall I think this is one of the best games of the year ; p

Offline Deep

« Reply #88 on: November 17, 2008, 03:17:07 pm »
I see Radroaches and Deathclaws level 1, and still see both at level 20. Raiders as pointed out by dear Harvey still carry the same weapons and get easier to kill as well.

I agree on the raiders, but they do tend to carry bigger guns as the game progresses. A lot of the time they're carrying Assault Rifles, but are still very easy to kill due to the fact that I have the best Plasma Rifle in the game with a near infinite ammo supply due to my near infinite supply of caps.

But with the Deathclaws, I never saw any at the start of the game. I found that as I progressed I started seeing tougher creatures and robots. At the start I only encountered only Protectrons, now I encounter Security Drones, Robobrains and Mr Gutsy's. With the creatures, I only started encountering Death Claws at lvl 15+, Yao Guai's at about lvl 13+, etc etc.

This may have something to do with the way I played it, exploring outwards from Megaton bit by bit, and I never really strayed too far away from it til about lvl 13~

Anyway, this reminds me of Liberty Prime. :D

Offline Irrationalist

« Reply #89 on: November 17, 2008, 06:29:32 pm »
Go due west at the start of the game and around Girdershade you will find a campgrounds with a deathclaw protecting a schematic for the deathclaw gauntlet. I did this at level 2