Author Topic: Fallout 3!  (Read 31394 times)

Lysix

Re: Fallout 3!
« Reply #60 on: October 17, 2008, 02:57:00 am »
Well, fuck that shit.
Why can't they make proper RPGs anymore? Only Bioware seem to do that nowadays, and they too are slowly creeping toward the "less story yumminess, more guns/swords" side.

Poo.

There's no market for them anymore.
Companies go where the money is and unfortunately, since the dawn of "casual gaming" (like the wii etc), it's not in bigass RPGs.
Shame, really, Final Fantasy used to be pretty decent!

Offline Gravehill

• Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
  • Dignity! Strength! Love!
« Reply #61 on: October 17, 2008, 03:47:17 am »
Only problem in game industry is that there are way too big teams doing those games. And most of those guys are honing the graphics and sounds... Large teams makes producing games very expensive and thus, in order to make some big cash, game companies try to sell their expensive games to as many gamers as possible. Cut the high end graphics and sound bit and add more into the story, gameworld design, control design and replayability and see the quality rise while costs decreases. While doing product like that it's not likely that most people want to buy that game since it will look uglyish but then again those who would buy it would love it and thus make loyal and exploitable fanbase. Also such games with medium- to low-end graphics are lighter and thus might lure in some gamers with older and weaker rig which would not run most of the modern games. According to researches most computers in world are of that out-of-date-group.

For example projects like UnRealWorld and Mount&Blade are living examples what a low-profile task team is cabaple of doing. I've bought them both and I will buy them for a second time as a gift for my brother. They have brilliant solutions and lots of innovation and enough of those carrots and hooks that keeps me getting back to those games.

I will try Fallout 3 definitely at some point. I've hunch that I will like it.
Random ramblings and furious feminine novels per versatility.

Offline Einkoro

• Machinae Prime
  • ~tima
    • http://www.janpingel.com/
« Reply #62 on: October 17, 2008, 05:34:43 am »
Well, fuck that shit.
Why can't they make proper RPGs anymore? Only Bioware seem to do that nowadays, and they too are slowly creeping toward the "less story yumminess, more guns/swords" side.

Poo.

Companies go where the money is and unfortunately, since the dawn of "casual gaming" (like the wii etc), it's not in bigass RPGs.

We still have Dragon Age to look forward to.
"Don't believe anyone when they tell you irony is just a literary convention. It's a universal constant, like the coefficient of gravity." - Alfred Bester

Offline Irrationalist

« Reply #63 on: October 21, 2008, 03:40:30 am »
Well, fuck that shit.

Poo.

Casual gamin is ass.

By trying to reach the "untapped masses" they are fucking over hardcore gamers. A trend thats fairly noticeable. I remember when HARD used to mean hard...

Lysix

« Reply #64 on: October 21, 2008, 03:45:53 am »
I remember when HARD used to mean hard...

You guys really just beg for me to take things like this out of context all the time!
And i agree. But it's what earns them money, right?
MORE MONEY MORE MONEY WOO MORE MONEY EASIER GAMES WOO MORE MONEY

Offline megadokyo

• Everybody gets one.
  • Community Supporter
  • Machinae Prime
  • Ima ween!
    • HyperDuck SoundWorks
« Reply #65 on: October 21, 2008, 09:54:13 am »
Alex De FacePalm is right.

Lysix

« Reply #66 on: October 21, 2008, 03:27:40 pm »
Alex De FacePalm is right.

Thank you, Chris greenham.

Offline megadokyo

• Everybody gets one.
  • Community Supporter
  • Machinae Prime
  • Ima ween!
    • HyperDuck SoundWorks
« Reply #67 on: October 27, 2008, 02:01:01 pm »
lol ;D

So anybody got it? played it? loved it? Hated it?

Beans yo, spill some.

Offline Irrationalist

« Reply #68 on: October 31, 2008, 05:25:53 pm »
Well I bought and... now I can think about day and night is playing it. Its like Oblivion with guns and without all of the flaws of Oblivion ; D, also its like KOTOR ran the fuck into Oblivion running 30 miles an hour while hold out scissors. You will see alot of KOTOR influence. The combat is fun, the atmosphere in unique and invites exploration, the different "caves" all look different rather than the mass oblivion cave style, the choices between good and evil have an honest impact, the guns are fun etc... I can go on forever.

Well I'd say more but onto Calculus 2!

Offline harvey danger

• Machinae Prime
  • Werd
« Reply #69 on: October 31, 2008, 06:17:19 pm »
Arrived at the mail office today, I just need to go pick it up and then enjoy. ;D
That's the problem with heroes, really. Their only purpose in life is to thwart others. They make no plans, develop no strategies. They react instead of act. Without villains, heroes would stagnate. Without heroes, villains would be running the world. Heroes have morals. Villains have work ethic.

Offline dezo

• ex Defence Against the Dark Arts
  • Machinae Prime
« Reply #70 on: October 31, 2008, 07:44:59 pm »
Just a tip if you're having problems with (PC) starting and running the game stable:

If you have atleast 2x2.0 cpu you can run the scinematics without problems ifm you choose to run the game without video codex (ffdshow)
If the game doesn't start, use windowed mode with low-rez and choose either "no ffdshow" and check "always use this setting" or update ffdshow to the latest build and check "use ffdshow" and "always use this setting". ...this is just a PC issue and you only get this problem if you have some kinda video equipment like webcam or such that uses ffdshow as video codec.

Offline L'homme magique

• Machinae Prime
  • Stay Calm
« Reply #71 on: November 02, 2008, 04:22:54 am »
I'm leaning on pass unless magicman can say something positive after giving it a go.
it's what everyone expected it would be

i'd pass
"It's like growing up reading good books or listening to good music. One good sofa breeds another good sofa; one bad sofa breeds another bad sofa. That's how it goes."

Offline harvey danger

• Machinae Prime
  • Werd
« Reply #72 on: November 02, 2008, 06:38:21 am »
I'm leaning on pass unless magicman can say something positive after giving it a go.

i'd pass

You'll be missing out...
That's the problem with heroes, really. Their only purpose in life is to thwart others. They make no plans, develop no strategies. They react instead of act. Without villains, heroes would stagnate. Without heroes, villains would be running the world. Heroes have morals. Villains have work ethic.

Offline Einkoro

• Machinae Prime
  • ~tima
    • http://www.janpingel.com/
« Reply #73 on: November 03, 2008, 12:06:01 am »

i'd pass

You'll be missing out...

OMG FALLOUT 3 DOESN'T HAVE THE .223 PISTOL FROM BLADE RUNNAH
THIS GAME GETS A 0/10 FROM ME

"Don't believe anyone when they tell you irony is just a literary convention. It's a universal constant, like the coefficient of gravity." - Alfred Bester

Lysix

« Reply #74 on: November 09, 2008, 10:05:38 pm »
I've got it, but i feel buying it for the 360 was a bad move. I've never really been good at FPS games on consoles, and aiming on fallout is no exception. It's quite obviously framecapped too to prevent any inconsistency in the framerate.
Ahwell, i'm sure i can adjust to it. Not really planning to return it for the PC version anyway as the game store won't provide exchanges if the game seal is broken!