Author Topic: Fallout 3!  (Read 29664 times)

Offline Leissi

• wat
Re: Fallout 3!
« Reply #30 on: July 16, 2008, 01:04:40 am »
Bethesda might actually get this right.
stop lying to yourself. being pessimistic only softens the impact of total suckage.

I lost my interest the moment I learned the game "world" will be Washington DC and a small surrounding area.

I fucking hate this.

WHERE IS THE WORLD TO EXPLORE?

WHERE ARE ALL THE RANDOM ENCOUNTERS?

WHERE ARE ALL THE OBLIVION VOICE ACTORS....  oh there they are.

I stopped waiting for this game.

I rest my case.

<Link disconnected.>
Person you = new Person();
if(you.AreHappy && you.KnowIt){
    you.ClapHands();
}

Offline harvey danger

• Machinae Prime
  • Werd
« Reply #31 on: July 16, 2008, 01:17:17 am »
And in addition to everything else, the inclusion of the Fatman really bugs me. Given the guy's tone when he unveiled it, it's like they put it in specifically to be loledgy (which wouldn't surprise me in the slightest). The fact that he just irradiated himself all to hell and would be blind from looking at the blast is a backseat to that stupid announcer's "lol this is the NUCLEAR BOMB :D :D :D" voice.

Welcome to video games! We kindly ask that you check your reality at the door and turn your cell phone off during the presentation.

My only problem with the game is that it looks a little easy, but that video doesn't say where or when in the game it takes place, so I'm counting on the fact that it will be harder than that (and possibly have adjustable difficulty like in Oblivion).

Everything else looks like lots of fun.
That's the problem with heroes, really. Their only purpose in life is to thwart others. They make no plans, develop no strategies. They react instead of act. Without villains, heroes would stagnate. Without heroes, villains would be running the world. Heroes have morals. Villains have work ethic.

Offline Leissi

• wat
« Reply #32 on: July 16, 2008, 01:38:26 am »
And in addition to everything else, the inclusion of the Fatman really bugs me. Given the guy's tone when he unveiled it, it's like they put it in specifically to be loledgy (which wouldn't surprise me in the slightest). The fact that he just irradiated himself all to hell and would be blind from looking at the blast is a backseat to that stupid announcer's "lol this is the NUCLEAR BOMB :D :D :D" voice.

Welcome to video games! We kindly ask that you check your reality at the door and turn your cell phone off during the presentation.

My only problem with the game is that it looks a little easy, but that video doesn't say where or when in the game it takes place, so I'm counting on the fact that it will be harder than that (and possibly have adjustable difficulty like in Oblivion).

Everything else looks like lots of fun.
yes it does.

Washington fucking DC.
    you.ClapHands();
}

Offline harvey danger

• Machinae Prime
  • Werd
« Reply #33 on: July 16, 2008, 01:49:08 am »
Washington fucking DC.

An entire city (ruined as it may be) is quite a lot to explore. Would you have preferred it be Oblivion-style with a whole lot of nothing in between the cities?
That's the problem with heroes, really. Their only purpose in life is to thwart others. They make no plans, develop no strategies. They react instead of act. Without villains, heroes would stagnate. Without heroes, villains would be running the world. Heroes have morals. Villains have work ethic.

Offline L'homme magique

• Machinae Prime
  • Stay Calm
« Reply #34 on: July 16, 2008, 07:10:51 am »
(and possibly have adjustable difficulty like in Oblivion).
No. Not like in Oblivion.
An entire city (ruined as it may be) is quite a lot to explore. Would you have preferred it be Oblivion-style with a whole lot of nothing in between the cities?
I stated this in my original post, there doesn't seem to be any reason to explore at all. It looks like a whole lot of nothing during the city. It looks like a level, not a zone.
"It's like growing up reading good books or listening to good music. One good sofa breeds another good sofa; one bad sofa breeds another bad sofa. That's how it goes."

Offline harvey danger

• Machinae Prime
  • Werd
« Reply #35 on: July 16, 2008, 07:16:30 am »
(and possibly have adjustable difficulty like in Oblivion).
No. Not like in Oblivion.
I stated this in my original post, there doesn't seem to be any reason to explore at all. It looks like a whole lot of nothing during the city. It looks like a level, not a zone.

I didn't mean the bandits getting higher-level crap as the player did, if that was what you were referring to. I meant the adjustable difficulty in the pause menu. I never played with it much, but I think it raised enemies' stats, for the most part.

I'm guessing there's 1.) going to be a lot of stuff underground and 2.) a lot more to see other than what they showed (hopefully with more of a sense of direction).

There will be a mini-map, and fast travel, so that should help in aimless wandering.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2008, 09:17:43 am by Plutoid »

Offline PrescriptiveBarony

• Machinae Prime
  • Let there be blacklight.
« Reply #36 on: July 16, 2008, 08:43:24 am »
it looks like i could at least stand to play it for more than 15 minutes, which is more than i could say for fallout 1 or 2. i agree that it looks like a not-very-improved oblivion mod, and i don't know if it was wise to show the game in a clearly very-well-equipped, high-statsed position, because it did make it hard to make any good judgments about the combat, which looks interesting. it would have been nice to show us one or two of the landmarks he kept talking about, or like to go inside something, but i guess all that will forthcome and until then it's not like we're about to preorder the collector's edition anyway.

Quote from: Drakonis
Everybody should just <3.

Offline L'homme magique

• Machinae Prime
  • Stay Calm
« Reply #37 on: July 16, 2008, 09:11:11 am »
I meant the adjustable difficulty in the pause menu. I never played with it much, but I think it raised enemies' stats, for the most part.
I got you; my bad ~tima
"It's like growing up reading good books or listening to good music. One good sofa breeds another good sofa; one bad sofa breeds another bad sofa. That's how it goes."

Offline Asor

• There is something in the darkness... lurking
« Reply #38 on: July 16, 2008, 05:34:29 pm »
What I am seeing from the videos, the guy isn't loosing any health, so it is my guess that the version he is playing is a version with some sort of godmode on. Think I should recheck that, if I can get arsed. But anyways, overall it doesnt look all THAT bad, expect the goddamn nuke thrower. Thinking that the whole world has been destroyed by nukes, the people would not feel all too good about using nukes as infantry weapons. But I guess that is just the whole vidya game aspect of it.

Anyways, like I said, im not really waiting for any game to arrive, I rather be surprised when the game arrives and I get to try it, read some reviews and whatnot.

Gräääergh
If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always gotten.

<Stormy-> oh god, I need boxers which has a print "Violator" on it
<@Asor> altho I think more fitting would be "Through the Looking Glass", amirite?

Offline Gravehill

• Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
  • Dignity! Strength! Love!
« Reply #39 on: July 16, 2008, 09:47:13 pm »
Who knows what the final version will be... Combination of hit percentages and freemode shooting + nade tossing seems rather peculiar. I was pretty worried - did that guy demonstrate it with pad-controller? No wonder the moving seemed so cubic. What becomes to graphics... Well, I think that graphics are not that important if immersiviness of game is deep enough. And most games don't look too good on my Ancient PC anyway. Besides they will most likely polish graphics soooo much before releasing.

Sigh... Probably my rig won't even run it so I'm not that optimistic about playing it soon after it release.
Random ramblings and furious feminine novels per versatility.

Offline Leissi

• wat
« Reply #40 on: July 17, 2008, 12:23:09 am »
Who knows what the final version will be... Combination of hit percentages and freemode shooting + nade tossing seems rather peculiar. I was pretty worried - did that guy demonstrate it with pad-controller? No wonder the moving seemed so cubic. What becomes to graphics... Well, I think that graphics are not that important if immersiviness of game is deep enough. And most games don't look too good on my Ancient PC anyway. Besides they will most likely polish graphics soooo much before releasing.

Sigh... Probably my rig won't even run it so I'm not that optimistic about playing it soon after it release.
Nowadays graphics seem to take place over immersive gameplay :(

BACK IN THE DAYS WHEN I WAS YOUNG...
    you.ClapHands();
}

Offline Einkoro

• Machinae Prime
  • ~tima
    • http://www.janpingel.com/
« Reply #41 on: July 17, 2008, 11:39:53 pm »

...We walked up hill in the snow, both ways, for our immersion.
"Don't believe anyone when they tell you irony is just a literary convention. It's a universal constant, like the coefficient of gravity." - Alfred Bester

Offline Leissi

• wat
« Reply #42 on: July 18, 2008, 01:43:55 am »

...We walked up hill in the snow, both ways, for our immersion.
fuck hills, THEY WERE GODDAMN PREHISTORIC MOUNTAINS
    you.ClapHands();
}

Offline Lexx

• Ministry of Cynicism
  • Community Supporter
« Reply #43 on: July 18, 2008, 02:15:46 am »
But you had a Highwayman to get over them.
DRAMA

Offline MMM_Donola

« Reply #44 on: July 19, 2008, 12:11:10 am »
Bring back 'real PC gaming' already, things seem to be getting more console-ish by the moment (although i feel some games originally on console are far better on PC)

Failing that, make me a full length Deus Ex 1 mod!
Not dead, just the worlds worst lurker.

Its all fun and games until somebody gets a FAIL!

Maelin, Undead 'lock, Emerald Dream EU
Perry_Cox_MD : Some Steam games, COD4, Gears of War, UT3, Kongregate
pcg_donola/pcg_dono : Other Steam games, various others
AD_Dono : Warcraft 3 TFT