Author Topic: BodyMods  (Read 39576 times)

Offline Viherminttu

Re: BodyMods
« Reply #30 on: May 21, 2007, 03:43:24 am »
Well it is kind of rascist to imply that being even vaguely associated with an entire race of people is some kind of insult.

I know that the Aboriginal people in Australia are looked down on not so much because of the colour of their skin, but because of the way many of them act, but then again, Aboriginals have had a pretty rough time of it over the past few hundred years as far as I understand it.

My mother spent two weeks with an aborignal village whose population supported themselves by making and selling clothes and touristy stuff (like mousemats, keyrings etc) as well as hunting and farming, and she speaks incredibly highly of them. They weren't sitting around on the dole and drinking white spirits and OJ.

I -could- start a debate about aboriginals and what they are and arent entitled to (they get more government payout a week than I could honestly hope to make in a week, yet still feel like they can 'eh brudda.. you got 2 dollah??'. You havent smelled until youve smelled an aboriginal. And they dont drink white spirits and oj. They drink metho, or anything else they can get their hands on) but that would be derailing the point of my thread. Im racist, but Im racist for a reason. Come visit me some time and you'll see :)

Crappy that Im the only (we think) modified person here :( I dont even know what it is about piercings I enjoy. I think they look good. I dont like tattoos as much.. Getting them isnt as fun as piercings, though tattoo aftercare is a sinch compared to piercings...

<WereVolvo> moar sid! new album sux! music vid sux! machinae are sellouts! where i find crappack lulz? when is page getting updated? gief moar free songs plx. zomg plz come to the US/UK/Mars/Alpha Centauri! when r u guyz gonna do a tour? i think u shuld come to this festival it wuld be gr8!

Offline evilcandybag

• of Fire
  • Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
  • Armoured Tanks of Mass Destruction
« Reply #31 on: May 21, 2007, 04:06:01 am »
I don't have any mods myself, but I decided that I'd start to do some research that will eventually lead to a Trinity tat. If I like it, I'll probably get a Triforce tattooed on my hand, Link/Zelda/Ganon style.
"Actually, wooden stakes are for vampires. Wooden steaks are for vegetarians."

Offline harvey danger

• Machinae Prime
  • Werd
« Reply #32 on: May 21, 2007, 04:09:40 am »
I just got a crapload of money for graduation. If I can get over my indecision I'm going to get a couple of cartilage and one or two lobe piercings (and be quickly out of money). There's a thing I've been looking everywhere for that looks kind of like an elongated metal U (think of a cut-off cylinder; it looks like a rectangle from the side), with the U wrapping around the back of the lobe, but I can't find it anywhere. Bleh.

My friend and I are also going to go to Denmark in a few years to get tattoos from a specific tattoo parlor. Kind of like that Miami ink show, but less obnoxious.

I -could- start a debate about aboriginals and what they are and arent entitled to (they get more government payout a week than I could honestly hope to make in a week, yet still feel like they can 'eh brudda.. you got 2 dollah??'. You havent smelled until youve smelled an aboriginal. And they dont drink white spirits and oj. They drink metho, or anything else they can get their hands on) but that would be derailing the point of my thread. Im racist, but Im racist for a reason. Come visit me some time and you'll see :)

No wonder the heads of America and Australia are so close. The people aren't too different in either country.  :P

That's the problem with heroes, really. Their only purpose in life is to thwart others. They make no plans, develop no strategies. They react instead of act. Without villains, heroes would stagnate. Without heroes, villains would be running the world. Heroes have morals. Villains have work ethic.

Offline Sirix

• Self proclaimed forum Villain
  • Community Supporter
  • Machinae Prime
« Reply #33 on: May 21, 2007, 04:16:51 am »
I don't have any mods myself, but I decided that I'd start to do some research that will eventually lead to a Trinity tat. If I like it, I'll probably get a Triforce tattooed on my hand, Link/Zelda/Ganon style.

Things you'll regret when you're 30 for $500, Alex.

if i were to get something like a Trinity or a Trifoce, i'd get it somewhere very hidden.

even if you do never regret it, some employers are very uptight and will see the tattoo and immediately not hire you.
it's an unfortunate truth, but it's true none-the-less.

Offline Viherminttu

« Reply #34 on: May 21, 2007, 06:07:44 am »
Not really. Plenty of white collar people I know have more extreme modifications than I do. Doctors, businessmen, etc. Its not as frowned upon as people think
<WereVolvo> moar sid! new album sux! music vid sux! machinae are sellouts! where i find crappack lulz? when is page getting updated? gief moar free songs plx. zomg plz come to the US/UK/Mars/Alpha Centauri! when r u guyz gonna do a tour? i think u shuld come to this festival it wuld be gr8!

Offline harvey danger

• Machinae Prime
  • Werd
« Reply #35 on: May 21, 2007, 06:31:47 am »
Not really. Plenty of white collar people I know have more extreme modifications than I do. Doctors, businessmen, etc. Its not as frowned upon as people think

Maybe not there. I know here, for sure, that employers won't hire people with tattoos that are visible with long sleeves on, or visible piercings.
That's the problem with heroes, really. Their only purpose in life is to thwart others. They make no plans, develop no strategies. They react instead of act. Without villains, heroes would stagnate. Without heroes, villains would be running the world. Heroes have morals. Villains have work ethic.

Offline Viherminttu

« Reply #36 on: May 21, 2007, 07:39:47 am »
Then america is just as fucking stupid as I thought :D

No its not like that here. Plenty of white collar people I know, and others I see every day that come into work have visible piercings or tats. Lots of businessmen with eyebrow piercings and business women with labrets or tragus piercings. Mind you I havent seen any business women with as many facial piercings as me, but plenty of people that work in retail are more modified than me.

It will become more common around the world eventually, its just not as frowned upon now as it was 50 years ago.

Offline PrescriptiveBarony

• Machinae Prime
  • Let there be blacklight.
« Reply #37 on: May 21, 2007, 09:28:17 am »
I very consciously mentioned aboriginal and not maori, because it seemed that you very consciously mentioned maori as being the kind of tribe with which your other tattoo was associated. so as a legal studies major i decided that that meant the previous one wasn't maori, and made a guess. i meant no implication.

I do not currently plan to ever modify my body any more than the normal stuff (eating, sleeping, sexing, going outside every few days), because i do not understand and therefore do not desire it. However, i must admit an enjoyment of industrial piercings or chains betwixt a couple.

It will become more common around the world eventually, its just not as frowned upon now as it was 50 years ago.

waiiiiit a second what about the egyptians! it's just fashion arising from ideology. back then it was something i don't quite understand, and now it's a demand for individuality (as opposed to in the states where in the business world we have to pretend to be individual without actually rocking any of the thousands of precariously balanced boats). 'Twill be interesting to see what the future holds...

Quote from: Drakonis
Everybody should just <3.

Offline Viherminttu

« Reply #38 on: May 21, 2007, 11:43:08 am »
It is interesting that body modification was so popular in early times with humans, and yet now its not acceptable.

Its so odd to see how society's views on subjects change over time.

Offline PrescriptiveBarony

• Machinae Prime
  • Let there be blacklight.
« Reply #39 on: May 21, 2007, 11:49:08 am »
well i think it just depends on where you are... like you say, where you live it seems a lot more acceptable than perhaps here. And nobody seems to mind ear piercings, but eyebrows! gasp! and there are plenty of societies where tattoos are still a requirement of adulthood. i wouldn't say it's necessarily less acceptable now, although the christian notion of the "clean body" certainly didn't help.

Quote from: Drakonis
Everybody should just <3.

Offline evilcandybag

• of Fire
  • Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
  • Armoured Tanks of Mass Destruction
« Reply #40 on: May 21, 2007, 02:18:14 pm »
If an employer won't hire me because I have a completely harmless set of triangles tattooed on my hand, then I wouldn't want to have that job, really. And such a symbol isn't really the things you regret having tattooed, a tattoo you regret looks something like this:

"Actually, wooden stakes are for vampires. Wooden steaks are for vegetarians."

Offline Fallout

• Machinae Prime
« Reply #41 on: May 21, 2007, 02:32:35 pm »
If an employer won't hire me because I have a completely harmless set of triangles tattooed on my hand, then I wouldn't want to have that job, really. And such a symbol isn't really the things you regret having tattooed, a tattoo you regret looks something like this:

Hahahaha :D

I'd regret that unless I was the world champion at pacman or something.

Offline Jack Lupino

• Worst Dude
  • Machinae Prime
« Reply #42 on: May 21, 2007, 02:50:35 pm »
its retro.

im getting a piercing tomorrow..

Offline SpeedD

• Machinae Prime
  • Canada, BITCH!
    • Egg!
« Reply #43 on: May 21, 2007, 04:13:48 pm »
Then america is just as fucking stupid as I thought :D

Haha. Stupid Americans generalizing a group of people like that. What on Earth are they thinking?
"What I felt was turned, in the tempest forged to hate. My soul I disconnected, and called out the Lightbringer to the gate."

Offline Viherminttu

« Reply #44 on: May 21, 2007, 04:26:34 pm »
im getting a piercing tomorrow..

what are you getting pierced?

http://www.bmeink.com/geek001.html   for all your geeky tattoo needs