Author Topic: Anime versus Manga  (Read 2875 times)

Offline Gravehill

• Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
  • Dignity! Strength! Love!
Anime versus Manga
« on: April 30, 2007, 06:22:22 pm »
Anyone else surprised positively/negatively with anime and manga conversions? It surprising how different manga and anime often are, IMO. Like Helsing, for instance. Anime is pretty damn good but when reading manga it's even better. Rurouni Kenshin was pretty surprising also. And Berserk, but not that much... Brutal, violent and intense as anime but somehow has more personality oslt. I often like manga versions better than anime versions and thus prefer watching the anime before reading the manga if I can. That way I feel I get more out of it. Now I made it just the opposite way in case of Death note. I think that it won't matter too much, usually manga and anime differ so much in atmosphere atleast that going through both of them is often worth the effort.

So, anyone else wondered about differences between animes and mangas? Any good or bad surprises? Which way you prefer going through series? Do you like only manga or only anime?
Random ramblings and furious feminine novels per versatility.

Offline Smogelore

• Too Drunk To FSCK
Re: Anime versus Manga
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2007, 06:41:43 pm »
well.. Tenjo Tenge had much better manga than the animated series, the manga was longer (and had more ecchi ;)). same thing in Air Gear.

like my brother said:"Stay away from the manga, reading it makes the anime look like crap."
HAY!!! who stole my avatar... again...

Offline Einkoro

• Machinae Prime
  • ~tima
    • http://www.janpingel.com/
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2007, 07:37:29 pm »
It depends if they do a good job or not. The Hellsing TV series was shit compared to the manga but the new OVAs (third one was just released a few weeks ago) follow it very closely and are totally /awesome/. Gantz is another good example of what not to do when going from a manga to anime. Making up your own shit because you ran out of material rather than waiting for more and then you kill the show.  :(

Another topic is novels vs anime. Lots of the shows (and manga) come from novels and whatever they call those short novels. Full Metal Panic series tends to follow the books very closely were as the manga doesn't.
"Don't believe anyone when they tell you irony is just a literary convention. It's a universal constant, like the coefficient of gravity." - Alfred Bester

Offline Laser.T

• 日本人ですか?
  • Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2007, 08:37:56 pm »
If I really love a manga I will watch the anime, and if I really love an anime I will read the manga. I really appreciate it when there's a big difference between the two, so that while the story and concept of the series as a whole is the same there is a core storyline element that allows it to flow a little differently. It makes it worth reading. When the anime and manga are practically identical, I feel as if I've wasted my time.

That said, I don't think there's yet been a case where I've liked one (i.e. the anime or the manga) more than the other - if I like the story, then both are as good. If I don't like the story, then I won't like either.

However, I guess there are times when I've avoided the other form. For example, I love my Jing King of Bandits manga, but I have no desire to watch the series because I've had my fill of Jing and because I worry I will dislike the anime for some reasons. The same, but vice versa, for Chrno Crusade - loved the anime, avoided the manga.

Offline Sirix

• Self proclaimed forum Villain
  • Community Supporter
  • Machinae Prime
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2007, 11:20:01 pm »
I've never read much Manga, to be honest.

I did read a lot of the Death Note manga though... but at the end of the day I like the anime better.
the anime has a lot better personality to it.  The music is what really does it in, I think.

Offline Trezker

• Machinae Prime
  • I don't eat food!
    • Trezker is a programmer
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2007, 09:51:11 pm »
I'm too lazy to read soo...

I like when things move...

You have the power of TIME ON YOUR HANDS. -Laser
"Oh come on Trez, everyone knows you're sexy" -Spider Chii

Offline L'homme magique

• Machinae Prime
  • Stay Calm
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2007, 12:31:59 am »
I can read the same events faster in manga than a fixed 22-minute span in anime, so I usually go for that.
"It's like growing up reading good books or listening to good music. One good sofa breeds another good sofa; one bad sofa breeds another bad sofa. That's how it goes."

Offline Gravehill

• Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
  • Dignity! Strength! Love!
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2007, 03:15:17 am »
With anime it got fixed pace : how fast story goes, you can't decide. I like in manga how it's designed. In slower parts you can just marvel the backgrounds and art - breath the art and atmosphere. When the pace of the story goes faster and things get excited the pages start running - no- flying through fingers. Pulse goes up as eyes goes through the page and anxious fingers try to get next page open up. Then when there's "to be continued" the feeling I get... Sweet mixture of anticipation, disappointment and joy over such pleasant torture. In such moment I feel deep gratitude towards those mangakas who had grasped me so well with their story and arrangement of pictures. I feel that mangas are more interactive than animes. It's not only how brain fills in the voices of characters and the movement - it's more electrifying experience as it makes parts of body really move in the pace of the story IMO. Also I enjoy how many mangas I have read have felt more "independent" than animes. I guess that's because there's less people doing mangas than animes? I love anime still very much, especially japanese voice actors are marvel-makers. Anime is for me , for afore mentioned reasons, slightly inferior to manga. Experience is different. But I can't stop loving them both.
Random ramblings and furious feminine novels per versatility.

Offline Jack Lupino

• Worst Dude
  • Machinae Prime
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2007, 04:03:17 pm »
I'm too lazy to read soo...

I like when things move...
;D

* Ill Duce agrees.

Offline LordXaras

« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2007, 07:50:05 pm »
It depends if they do a good job or not. The Hellsing TV series was shit compared to the manga but the new OVAs (third one was just released a few weeks ago) follow it very closely and are totally /awesome/.

qft

Offline evilcandybag

• of Fire
  • Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
  • Armoured Tanks of Mass Destruction
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2007, 12:34:26 am »

It depends if they do a good job or not. The Hellsing TV series was shit compared to the manga but the new OVAs (third one was just released a few weeks ago) follow it very closely and are totally /awesome/.

Actually, I have to disagree a bit here. The manga is better than the old anime, no doubt about it, but the OVAs (I've only seen the first one) are crap unless you have read the manga. For a new viewer, they would probably be very confusing. Also the animation is somehow a lot worse than in the old anime.
"Actually, wooden stakes are for vampires. Wooden steaks are for vegetarians."

Offline Gyokuro

« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2007, 01:03:01 pm »
I like anime more than manga. Probably because anime has musics, voice actors and things like that, that bring it to life.
I usually first watch anime and then buy the manga to get more.. "detailed" look into it.

Offline Wiinis

• Excuse me, I'm off to play the grand piano
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2007, 10:52:14 am »
Generally I like manga a bit more, I think... But of course love 'em both. There has been by far only one anime based on a manga (manga I like, that is) I haven't seen for more than 3 minutes of the first episode and will not watch more, ever. Saiyuki. And the reason is, dammit, that Sanzo simply is not as badass in the anime as he is in the manga. ;_; He just might be my favourite character ever.

Spiral out, keep going