Author Topic: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows  (Read 6728 times)

Smeagol

Re: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2007, 06:48:40 pm »
The epilogue was a bit shit really. It's just so mundane.

Offline Bearfoot

• They're coming to take me away ha ha!
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2007, 07:21:12 pm »
for those that wanted to read Alice..

http://www.gutenberg.org/browse/authors/c#a7

yay for copyrights eventually ending!
I'm only one, but still I am one.  I can't do everything, but I can do something-
Hellen Kieller

"There are never enough reasons to get drunk. I, for example am going out tomorrow to celebrate.. um.. Tuesday.:
Lexx β

Offline Bocom

• SiteDeveloper
  • I'm in despair!
    • Woah there!
« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2007, 09:16:12 pm »

w00t! thanks! :D
This quote is out of context:
<Bocom> I'm also going to see Quantum of Solace later
<Syndicated> Bocom: it is fucking scary
(@Radicz0r) Fuck! Its friday, and you wankers are talking about PIE. Pie! What the hell?

Offline Laser.T

• 日本人ですか?
  • Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2007, 09:31:37 pm »

Hehe cool. I bet they imagined no one would be interested over 200 years later.

Alice's adventures are wonderful books and contain some genius ideas, especially his poems.

Offline WereVolvo

• IRC Love Butter supplier
  • Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
  • Volvot ulvoo kuun savuun!
    • My personal site
« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2007, 09:51:29 pm »

Hehe cool. I bet they imagined no one would be interested over 200 years later.

Alice's adventures are wonderful books and contain some genius ideas, especially his poems.

Whurd, yo.
* talhoffer cheerfully decapitates yasiekk with his vorpal sword while riding a frumious Bandersnatch.
<@Torp> I have seen your melted pussy!

Real Dwarfs wall themselves in once they are underground, and survive through incest and cat farming.

Offline Bates

• Forum Legend
  • Community Supporter
  • Machinae Prime
  • Bateman 2.0
« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2007, 11:03:12 pm »
I'm around page 300, where they're just travelling through the countryside having no clue what to do. WTF, Harry is supposed to be a leader. In a war. What about building an army? With magical and nonmagical weapons? Fuck, if they want to bring Voldemort down, they maybe even need suicide bombers. They could use all those supporting characters with alliteration names; no one's missing them anyway. Desperate times call for desperate measures. Also, what the hell is wrong with Ron? Horcrux or not, if I was Harry, I would've tortured some sense into him Jack Bauer style, with at least 60 seconds of suffocating plastic bag joy.

On the other hand I think it's a children's book and for that it's really well done and entertaining.

Of course I've also read the epilogue first. First thing I thought was that the ending was the cheap way out, so that JK can write another book whenever she needs more money. But maybe in 20 years or so, there's hope for a darker, more realistic Harry Potter reboot. Like they did with Battlestar Galactica. Where Hermione hits the bottle, just like Kara Thrace. (And Harry is the fifth Cylon! *gasp*)

Offline Laser.T

• 日本人ですか?
  • Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2007, 12:11:25 am »
they maybe even need suicide bombers. They could use all those supporting characters with alliteration names; no one's missing them anyway.

Haha! +1 karma to you.

Offline Bocom

• SiteDeveloper
  • I'm in despair!
    • Woah there!
« Reply #22 on: August 01, 2007, 12:12:36 am »
I would also give you a karma point! That would have been so epic in a Harry Potter movie! xD

...But I can't. :(
This quote is out of context:
<Bocom> I'm also going to see Quantum of Solace later
<Syndicated> Bocom: it is fucking scary
(@Radicz0r) Fuck! Its friday, and you wankers are talking about PIE. Pie! What the hell?

Offline Sirix

• Self proclaimed forum Villain
  • Community Supporter
  • Machinae Prime
« Reply #23 on: August 01, 2007, 01:31:54 am »
I hate when people say it's a "children's book"

did you SEE some of the vocabulary in there?

she used sycophant for cripes sake. (amongst other words that I can't remember and can't be bothered to look for!)

yes, it was originally a kids book... but those kids grew up... and the books grew up with us.

It OBVIOUSLY isn't as mature as a frigging Stephen King novel or whatever other authors that are considered "mature", but if I was 10 years old and read this book without having read the rest I would have been one scared and/or confused little bugger. (I mean, the opening chapter starts with a woman being eaten by a snake

and Yasiekk, you rock and all dude, but you're just one of the many who jump on the "I hate Harry Potter" train because you missed the love train to Hogwarts when you were young.

you can't enter our world after you have come of age!
and we don't want you here!
« Last Edit: August 01, 2007, 01:33:25 am by Sirix »

Offline yas‮

• The laziest one.
  • I believe in respawn.
    • Me on SoundCloud
« Reply #24 on: August 01, 2007, 02:46:10 am »
I'm still young. I've read the first five books. The latter the worse, my favorite being the second one. But then, after reading the fifth one, something happened. A switch in my brain went from off to on, and then I realized something. The Order of the Penis sucked! And yet, I borrowed the Half-Blood Prince. Read like 1/3, and then I realized it sucks too. And then I realized, I should play some Frets On Fire, instead of reading that. And now I hate Harry Pothead, with that redhead Ron being my worst nightmare, mostly because he married the only chick in the book/movie in the end of the last one.

Offline Jack Lupino

• Worst Dude
  • Machinae Prime
« Reply #25 on: August 01, 2007, 03:25:51 am »
wtf is goin on this thread i havent even read the motherfucker and yet i feel like you guys are spoiling the whole book one by one.

Bates., cylons wtf ?!

Anyway.

Peace and beer .. muchos grandes. well maybe muchos.

MURR peace out

Offline WereVolvo

• IRC Love Butter supplier
  • Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
  • Volvot ulvoo kuun savuun!
    • My personal site
« Reply #26 on: August 01, 2007, 03:43:38 am »
I'm around page 300, where they're just travelling through the countryside having no clue what to do. WTF, Harry is supposed to be a leader. In a war. What about building an army? With magical and nonmagical weapons? Fuck, if they want to bring Voldemort down, they maybe even need suicide bombers. They could use all those supporting characters with alliteration names; no one's missing them anyway. Desperate times call for desperate measures. Also, what the hell is wrong with Ron? Horcrux or not, if I was Harry, I would've tortured some sense into him Jack Bauer style, with at least 60 seconds of suffocating plastic bag joy.

On the other hand I think it's a children's book and for that it's really well done and entertaining.

Of course I've also read the epilogue first. First thing I thought was that the ending was the cheap way out, so that JK can write another book whenever she needs more money. But maybe in 20 years or so, there's hope for a darker, more realistic Harry Potter reboot. Like they did with Battlestar Galactica. Where Hermione hits the bottle, just like Kara Thrace. (And Harry is the fifth Cylon! *gasp*)
* talhoffer collapses on floor laughing

Oh my comrade-in-moderatorship.... did I ever tell you I love you? ;D

If she really wants to milk it, however, she can always write a buncha prequels to the main books; like "The Life and Times of Albus Dumbledore", or Voldemort's adventures in youth or something. You know, kinda like Star Wars, only Voldemort isn't Harry's father, those fucking Gungans are replaced by house elves, and Lucius Malfoy doesn't get his arse kicked by some bouncy green midget with a speech impediment.

She could keep the Star Destroyers though. I like Star Destroyers. Mmmmmmm.
<@Torp> I have seen your melted pussy!

Real Dwarfs wall themselves in once they are underground, and survive through incest and cat farming.

Offline Laser.T

• 日本人ですか?
  • Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
« Reply #27 on: August 01, 2007, 10:39:42 am »
wtf is goin on this thread i havent even read the motherfucker and yet i feel like you guys are spoiling the whole book one by one.

Bates., cylons wtf ?!

We're actually doing pretty well avoiding spoilers or any clues here. And Bates' ideas give nothing significant away - none that is true anyway.

Offline Viherminttu

« Reply #28 on: August 01, 2007, 01:35:29 pm »
i finished it last week. im not sure how i feel about it. the ending and what happened to harry felt like a bloody soap opera. if you cut off the epilogue it would have been good. but eh i dunno. but Scorpius is a fucking great name IMHO!
<WereVolvo> moar sid! new album sux! music vid sux! machinae are sellouts! where i find crappack lulz? when is page getting updated? gief moar free songs plx. zomg plz come to the US/UK/Mars/Alpha Centauri! when r u guyz gonna do a tour? i think u shuld come to this festival it wuld be gr8!

Offline Caranfin

« Reply #29 on: August 06, 2007, 11:45:44 pm »
I was at my family's summer cottage/cabin/thing, far enough from civilization that I needed to run a few kilometers throught forest to get the snail-mail every day, for the last two and a half weeks, and thus didn't have the chance to get the book before Saturday. I've read it twice thus far and am currently thinking about rereading the whole series again, if I could just get my hands on the English language versions of the first three books without parting from any of my own money.

This sentence is probably quite unnecessary if you've read the rest of the post, but I kinda liked the book.