Author Topic: Your first metal band *holy horns*  (Read 18214 times)

Offline harvey danger

• Machinae Prime
  • Werd
Re: Your first metal band *holy horns*
« Reply #75 on: May 23, 2007, 05:51:16 am »
Metal-archives agrees, AC/DC is hard rock, they even use it in their example of genres they don't accept as metal: http://www.metal-archives.com/guidelines.php

Metal archives is far from the authority on metal. Even they themselves said it's a huge debate.  :P AC/DC (and Led Zeppelin, as well) had such a huge effect on the creation of metal that to not include it in the genre now when it was once considered metal is just foolish. Keeping aside the fact that the site is a haven for metal elitism.

Something I never understood is why industrial was never included as "heavy metal" when the name of the freaking genre brings to mind large factories and machines.
That's the problem with heroes, really. Their only purpose in life is to thwart others. They make no plans, develop no strategies. They react instead of act. Without villains, heroes would stagnate. Without heroes, villains would be running the world. Heroes have morals. Villains have work ethic.

Offline Einkoro

• Machinae Prime
  • ~tima
    • http://www.janpingel.com/
« Reply #76 on: May 23, 2007, 11:17:05 pm »
Metal-archives agrees, AC/DC is hard rock, they even use it in their example of genres they don't accept as metal: http://www.metal-archives.com/guidelines.php

Metal archives is far from the authority on metal. Even they themselves said it's a huge debate.  :P AC/DC (and Led Zeppelin, as well) had such a huge effect on the creation of metal that to not include it in the genre now when it was once considered metal is just foolish. Keeping aside the fact that the site is a haven for metal elitism.

Something I never understood is why industrial was never included as "heavy metal" when the name of the freaking genre brings to mind large factories and machines.

I'd consider metal-archives far more accurate than wikipedia on average since moderation solves the edit pissing matches from stupid fanbois and the likes that always happens on wikipedia. I don't see why a band that isn't metal should be included in a database of metal bands even if they were a major influence as they still aren't metal.

Industrial in of itself is not metal: See KMFDM. However, there is a Industrial subgenre of metal. Things like Kovenant or ...And Oceans. (Although both aren't strictly industrial, in this case black/industrial. Honestly can't think of a strictly industrial metal band off hand.)
"Don't believe anyone when they tell you irony is just a literary convention. It's a universal constant, like the coefficient of gravity." - Alfred Bester

Offline harvey danger

• Machinae Prime
  • Werd
« Reply #77 on: May 23, 2007, 11:42:26 pm »
I'd consider metal-archives far more accurate than wikipedia on average since moderation solves the edit pissing matches from stupid fanbois and the likes that always happens on wikipedia. I don't see why a band that isn't metal should be included in a database of metal bands even if they were a major influence as they still aren't metal.

They were once "metal," though. And I agree, it's more accurate than Wiki, but that doesn't mean it's unbiased.

Industrial in of itself is not metal: See KMFDM. However, there is a Industrial subgenre of metal. Things like Kovenant or ...And Oceans. (Although both aren't strictly industrial, in this case black/industrial. Honestly can't think of a strictly industrial metal band off hand.)

I know it's not metal. What I was asking is why it's not included in the genre "heavy metal" when the name makes one think of machines and their sounds.

As well, I don't understand why previously a band like Static-X wasn't counted as "metal" by the elitists like those at the Metal Archives, but now that they've added guitar solos (good ones, but rather pointless) they are. It seems pretty fickle that the only component missing to classify it as "metal" was the guitar solos when in reality the music was already extremely heavy (referred to by fans as "techno metal" or "dance metal," in the vein of Rammstein but heavier).
That's the problem with heroes, really. Their only purpose in life is to thwart others. They make no plans, develop no strategies. They react instead of act. Without villains, heroes would stagnate. Without heroes, villains would be running the world. Heroes have morals. Villains have work ethic.

Offline Einkoro

• Machinae Prime
  • ~tima
    • http://www.janpingel.com/
« Reply #78 on: May 24, 2007, 08:37:49 am »
I know it's not metal. What I was asking is why it's not included in the genre "heavy metal" when the name makes one think of machines and their sounds.

As well, I don't understand why previously a band like Static-X wasn't counted as "metal" by the elitists like those at the Metal Archives, but now that they've added guitar solos (good ones, but rather pointless) they are. It seems pretty fickle that the only component missing to classify it as "metal" was the guitar solos when in reality the music was already extremely heavy (referred to by fans as "techno metal" or "dance metal," in the vein of Rammstein but heavier).

I don't see why industrial would be included as heavy metal just because it conjures up the thoughts of machines and machine sounds.

Static-X was always tossed in the nu metal crowd and that dooms you from being on metal-archives for the most part. Static-X was probably the only remotely decent band out of that genre but they shit all over their keyboards on later albums which imo was their only strong point. I'd say there is a lot more to being metal than just being heavy - in fact an awful lot of 'tr00 metuhl' is far from heavy.

I don't think grindcore shouldn't be on metal-archives either since its an offshoot of punk, not metal. Noise shouldn't be there, either.

I have a feeling this will be further derailed and locked thanks to anal people who are OCD about genres (me) and the opposite side who are like omg genres are stupid (most other people). Heh.
"Don't believe anyone when they tell you irony is just a literary convention. It's a universal constant, like the coefficient of gravity." - Alfred Bester

Offline harvey danger

• Machinae Prime
  • Werd
« Reply #79 on: May 24, 2007, 11:06:03 pm »
heavy metal... thoughts of machines and machine sounds.

Static-X was always tossed in the nu metal crowd and that dooms you from being on metal-archives for the most part. Static-X was probably the only remotely decent band out of that genre but they shit all over their keyboards on later albums which imo was their only strong point. I'd say there is a lot more to being metal than just being heavy - in fact an awful lot of 'tr00 metuhl' is far from heavy.

I don't know what metal you're listening to, but if it's classified metal by the majority of people, then it's true metal, no matter how many "underground" metal fans disagree, and the majority of that is heavy. Whether it be in the actual music or just the lyrics. That's what the "heavy" in "heavy metal" denotes.

Keep in mind, though... I'm not saying it's all good.  :P But if enough people call it metal, that makes it metal.

And who classified Static-X as nu metal? They need to be punched.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2007, 11:23:24 pm by Harvey McLCDpants »

Offline PrescriptiveBarony

• Machinae Prime
  • Let there be blacklight.
« Reply #80 on: May 25, 2007, 01:53:57 am »
But if enough people call it metal, that makes it metal.

Who cared about what is or isn't classified as nu-metal? they need to be scolded via fist.

-OR-

ahahahahahhahahahahahahahhaa.

Quote from: Drakonis
Everybody should just <3.

Offline harvey danger

• Machinae Prime
  • Werd
« Reply #81 on: May 25, 2007, 05:52:26 am »
But if enough people call it metal, that makes it metal.

Who cared about what is or isn't classified as nu-metal? they need to be scolded via fist.

-OR-

ahahahahahhahahahahahahahhaa.

I meant the specific person... Static-X isn't widely referred to as nu metal, so I made a little joke about Ankle's classification.  :P

Offline Fallout

• Machinae Prime
« Reply #82 on: May 25, 2007, 10:04:47 am »
This has gone waaayyy off topic now. Split topic?

Offline Jack Lupino

• Worst Dude
  • Machinae Prime
« Reply #83 on: May 25, 2007, 04:25:44 pm »