Author Topic: NIN: Year Zero  (Read 14615 times)

Offline harvey danger

• Machinae Prime
  • Werd
NIN: Year Zero
« on: April 02, 2007, 04:29:42 am »
A Nine Inch Nails concept album...

Sounds pretty freaking awesome, to me.*

*See: giant hand coming from the sky.
That's the problem with heroes, really. Their only purpose in life is to thwart others. They make no plans, develop no strategies. They react instead of act. Without villains, heroes would stagnate. Without heroes, villains would be running the world. Heroes have morals. Villains have work ethic.

Offline Sirix

• Self proclaimed forum Villain
  • Community Supporter
  • Machinae Prime
Re: NIN: Year Zero
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2007, 09:43:51 pm »
arrr,

twas already discused in a NIN thread earlier.

but let's pretend it wasn't!

I have 3 songs from the album thus far... but i'm still going to actualy buy it once it comes out.

Offline harvey danger

• Machinae Prime
  • Werd
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2007, 12:02:21 am »
arrr,

I have 3 songs from the album thus far... but i'm still going to actualy buy it once it comes out.

If by "discussed," you mean "a single post with a link to NIN myspace at the end of a thread in which it wasn't mentioned at all," then yes, it was.  :P Other than that the only other discussion were two posts in the "best albums of 2007" thread.

Anyways, Trent Reznor wrote the entire album while on tour. I think that's just nuts. He said in Rolling Stone that before now writing was always a hard thing to do, because he had to go to places inside of himself that were really uncomfortable to explore. But on this album, he just started writing and it all flowed. So, huzzah for Trent Reznor reaching a new plateau in musicianship!

It's their first (produced) concept album ever (Trent tried writing one before, but it went nowhere). According to the article:

"The album takes place in the year 2022: the religious right has taken over the U.S. government, there are mind control drugs in the water supply, and something called the Presence - in the form of a giant hand reaching from the sky - keeps showing up. (The image is caoptured on the album cover.) Reznor suggests the plot - which has also spawned an intricate and mysterious online game that elaborates on the world (see iamtryingtobelieve.com, among numerous other sites) - was inspired by current events. "I have primarily dealt with personal issues in my songs up to this point - relating, not relating, searching, failing, trying, hoping, hating," he says. "Human issues. However, when I look at the cold heart of big business and our murdering government, I am truly afraid. I don't get the sense that there is any humanity or compassion behind those suits as I watch their total disregard for human life and the ecology of this planet."

Edit: continued from where I left off

Also, he's talking with production companies about making a Year Zero movie.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2007, 12:29:11 am by Harvey McCloneypants »
That's the problem with heroes, really. Their only purpose in life is to thwart others. They make no plans, develop no strategies. They react instead of act. Without villains, heroes would stagnate. Without heroes, villains would be running the world. Heroes have morals. Villains have work ethic.

Offline Sirix

• Community Supporter
  • Machinae Prime
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2007, 12:48:50 am »
lol.

oh Trent.
i'm definetly glad to see he's moved out of his own deeply disturbed self and into a world.
let's hope the result is positive. :)

Offline harvey danger

• Machinae Prime
  • Werd
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2007, 01:11:30 am »
lol.

oh Trent.
i'm definetly glad to see he's moved out of his own deeply disturbed self and into a world.
let's hope the result is positive. :)

Now, he's not on drugs, right?

Offline PrescriptiveBarony

• Machinae Prime
  • Let there be blacklight.
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2007, 02:17:04 am »
the religious right has taken over the U.S. government

haven't they?

there are mind control drugs in the water supply

Original!

something called the Presence - in the form of a giant hand reaching from the sky - keeps showing up.

Uhh... kay.

"When I look at the cold heart of big business and our murdering government, I am truly afraid. I don't get the sense that there is any humanity or compassion behind those suits as I watch their total disregard for human life and the ecology of this planet."

What a brave and insightful thing to think!

sounds like a middle-schooler's sci-fi story to me.

Quote from: Drakonis
Everybody should just <3.

Offline harvey danger

• Machinae Prime
  • Werd
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2007, 04:03:00 am »
So that's one neutral, one looking forward to it, and one that thinks he's taken a step backwards?

Offline PrescriptiveBarony

• Machinae Prime
  • Let there be blacklight.
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2007, 07:01:39 am »
So that's one neutral, one looking forward to it, and one that thinks he's taken a step backwards?

well i wasn't a fan to begin with..so maybe i don't count.

Quote from: Drakonis
Everybody should just <3.

Offline Outboundlight

• Renegade Anarchist Folk Hero
  • Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
  • Rogue World Asylum Seeker
    • No Art Films
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2007, 06:50:35 pm »
arrr,

If by "discussed," you mean "a single post with a link to NIN myspace at the end of a thread in which it wasn't mentioned at all," then yes, it was.  :P Other than that the only other discussion were two posts in the "best albums of 2007" thread.

Anyways, Trent Reznor wrote the entire album while on tour. I think that's just nuts. He said in Rolling Stone that before now writing was always a hard thing to do, because he had to go to places inside of himself that were really uncomfortable to explore. But on this album, he just started writing and it all flowed. So, huzzah for Trent Reznor reaching a new plateau in musicianship!

It's their first (produced) concept album ever (Trent tried writing one before, but it went nowhere). According to the article:

"The album takes place in the year 2022: the religious right has taken over the U.S. government, there are mind control drugs in the water supply, and something called the Presence - in the form of a giant hand reaching from the sky - keeps showing up. (The image is caoptured on the album cover.) Reznor suggests the plot - which has also spawned an intricate and mysterious online game that elaborates on the world (see iamtryingtobelieve.com, among numerous other sites) - was inspired by current events. "I have primarily dealt with personal issues in my songs up to this point - relating, not relating, searching, failing, trying, hoping, hating," he says. "Human issues. However, when I look at the cold heart of big business and our murdering government, I am truly afraid. I don't get the sense that there is any humanity or compassion behind those suits as I watch their total disregard for human life and the ecology of this planet."

I'm really worried that this is going to suck.

Offline Sirix

• Community Supporter
  • Machinae Prime
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2007, 08:44:44 pm »

I'm certainly looking forward to the songs.  What i've heard is awesome.

it's just the whole reliable introvert Trent making a sci-fi story that isn't really thrilling me.

arrr,

I'm really worried that this is going to suck.

nah, check out the songs that are leaked already.
they're pretty good.
just ignore the whole lame sci-fi bit :).

Offline ibmman85

• falling into the wired....
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2007, 07:40:03 am »
I really consider The Fragile to be more of a concept album, at least it definitely seems more concept-ish than most concept albums even if it wasn't intended to be such. I think I miss the insanely dense soundscapes that he's crafted previously, and from what I've heard, year zero is actually even less layered than With Teeth. I liked the last half of With Teeth a good bit. I thought some of the lyrics on With Teeth were actually kinda cheesy, and more so here I think but I really think that the next album after this one will be real good again. I'm just not real sure if I like the direction he went with on Year Zero.

Lysix

« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2007, 04:16:40 pm »
I have around five of the YZ tracks, and have only listened to two off the live stream of the entire album.
Needless to say it's amazing, and I'm not listening to anymore until the albums in my hands.
He came up with the story for YZ, btw, when he rented out a house out in some woodland or something and thought of concepts and ideas. The rest yeah, was just pieced from tours.
Anybody who says this is going to suck is wrong. It's amaze.

Offline LordXaras

« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2007, 08:38:40 pm »
The album is definitely.... different. I'm a big fan of the whole viral marketing project though.

Offline L'homme magique

• Machinae Prime
  • Stay Calm
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2007, 09:52:41 pm »
trent is probably the weakest lyricist I have ever listened to

and that kind of ruins his music which is supposed to have some great big message but fails due to the fact he's writing 13-year-old lyrics when he's what, 42?
"It's like growing up reading good books or listening to good music. One good sofa breeds another good sofa; one bad sofa breeds another bad sofa. That's how it goes."

Lysix

« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2007, 10:27:38 pm »
trent is probably the weakest lyricist I have ever listened to

and that kind of ruins his music which is supposed to have some great big message but fails due to the fact he's writing 13-year-old lyrics when he's what, 42?

Lyricly, i think he's amazing. But each to their own i guess.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2007, 10:31:34 pm by Alixâ„¢ »