Author Topic: Overlord - The next Dungeon Keeper?  (Read 8604 times)

Offline Fallout

• Machinae Prime
Overlord - The next Dungeon Keeper?
« on: March 28, 2007, 04:41:52 am »
Does anyone remember Dungeon Keeper? Do you miss it's dark humour and general evilness?

Check out Overlord!
Gamespot Preview

Codemasters signs Triumph Studios’ "Overlord", coming summer 2007 for Xbox 360 and PC.

Next-generation gaming in a twisted fantasy world where players have the choice to be evil...or really evil!

Codemasters today announces an original next-generation title with the signing of Overlord from developer Triumph Studios, whose pedigree includes the award-winning strategy series Age of Wonders.

Overlord is a groundbreaking action adventure, set in a seriously warped fantasy world. Scheduled for a summer 2007 release, Overlord will launch for PC and as a console exclusive for the Xbox 360™ video game and entertainment system from Microsoft.

Controlling a mysterious figure that has inherited the legacy of the evil, long-dead Overlord, the player emerges, near death, from the ruins of the old Overlord’s Dark Tower. Only the player’s actions will determine if they will rise to become the new all-powerful Overlord; it’s all down to how much of a bad ass they want to be in order to succeed... evil or really evil! Played out with plenty of black humour and dark irony, the game will immerse players in twisted parodies of classic fantasy scenarios and characters.

Overlord’s key innovation is the introduction of an array of impish creatures - the Minions. They believe you are the old Overlord reborn and will use their unique skills to fetch, fight and die for you. Throughout the game players will actively control a horde of these gremlin-like critters and they’ll follow your every instruction no matter how despotic or, for the Minions, life threatening it is.

Says Lennart Sas, Director at Triumph Studios: "Overlord offers a wealth of freedom and allows players to experience classic fantasy like never before. Working with the minions, players can loot and pillage their way through the game’s world or maybe resist the temptations of evil. In Overlord, player choices truly shape the world."

Says Barry Jafrato, Senior VP of Brand for Codemasters: "Overlord comes loaded with innovative and compelling game mechanics wrapped in a scenario that’s played out with plenty of black humour. We’re delighted to be working with Triumph on the title, bringing something fresh and original to next-generation gamers."

With more details on this unique gaming property to be revealed through the course of its development, Codemasters will publish Overlord for Xbox 360 and PC in summer 2007.

Offline harvey danger

• Machinae Prime
  • Werd
Re: Overlord - The next Dungeon Keeper?
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2007, 05:12:27 am »
Been watching this one for a while... certainly looks like it will be good.  :D
That's the problem with heroes, really. Their only purpose in life is to thwart others. They make no plans, develop no strategies. They react instead of act. Without villains, heroes would stagnate. Without heroes, villains would be running the world. Heroes have morals. Villains have work ethic.

Offline Einkoro

• Machinae Prime
  • ~tima
    • http://www.janpingel.com/
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2007, 05:48:03 am »
I was just playing Dungeon Keeper last month. Fun multiplayer.
"Don't believe anyone when they tell you irony is just a literary convention. It's a universal constant, like the coefficient of gravity." - Alfred Bester

Offline evilcandybag

• of Fire
  • Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
  • Armoured Tanks of Mass Destruction
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2007, 05:11:28 pm »
I don't want spiritual sequels for DK, I want the real 'n' tru' DK3.

...but hey, that does look kinda cool.
"Actually, wooden stakes are for vampires. Wooden steaks are for vegetarians."

Offline Asor

• There is something in the darkness... lurking
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2007, 03:23:51 pm »
Oh lawd, I guess I need to add yet another game to the list of games im waiting for.
* Asor writes something about being 3v|l
* Asor goes back to playing Dungeon Keeper
If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always gotten.

<Stormy-> oh god, I need boxers which has a print "Violator" on it
<@Asor> altho I think more fitting would be "Through the Looking Glass", amirite?

Offline Cerapter

• 100% Recycled
    • Home
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2007, 10:21:22 pm »
This looks interesting. I loved DK2. Fetching new maps for it was half of my reason to use the internet before I wholly moved unto the webosphere. Nowadays my Windows is being an ass, though, so I can't play it anymore.
Just close your eyes and keep your mind wide open.

Offline WereVolvo

• IRC Love Butter supplier
  • Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
  • Volvot ulvoo kuun savuun!
    • My personal site
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2007, 06:24:32 pm »
Very interesting indeed. Since there's prolly never gonna be a Dungeon Keeper 3 (what with Bullfrog absorbed by EA and all :(), hopefully this one will prove a worthy successor.
<@Torp> I have seen your melted pussy!

Real Dwarfs wall themselves in once they are underground, and survive through incest and cat farming.

Offline Smogelore

• Too Drunk To FSCK
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2007, 06:35:52 pm »
DAMN YOU EA! they're absorbing every good independant game maker companies out there and turning all their games into crap (there has been some successes though)

On topic: I loved the Dungeon Keeper series. they were the first games in wich you play as evil, and thats what made them awesome
« Last Edit: April 10, 2007, 06:23:35 pm by Smogelore »
HAY!!! who stole my avatar... again...

Offline Trias

« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2007, 10:41:17 pm »
hm I didn't play them much, but I think I found the evilness to be somehow cheesy. Also, wasn't the gameplay rather about destroying other keepers instead of the adventures (like it was supposed to be)?

Offline WereVolvo

• IRC Love Butter supplier
  • Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
  • Volvot ulvoo kuun savuun!
    • My personal site
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2007, 11:36:01 pm »
hm I didn't play them much, but I think I found the evilness to be somehow cheesy. Also, wasn't the gameplay rather about destroying other keepers instead of the adventures (like it was supposed to be)?

Yes, but the cheesiness was half the fun. I particularly enjoyed the "before" and "after" descriptions of each realm you conquered. Ah, the good old days... *implodes in a cloud of nostalgia*
<@Torp> I have seen your melted pussy!

Real Dwarfs wall themselves in once they are underground, and survive through incest and cat farming.

Offline Cerapter

• 100% Recycled
    • Home
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2007, 11:48:51 pm »
Watch out. If you implode too far, your core might start fusing the nostalgia into sentimentality. That process will go on for a while until the nostalgia in the core is all spent, after which you will collapse further. If your mass is sufficient, the sentimentality will at some point ignite, and you will initiate another process fusing sentimentality into melancholy, which releases so much energy that your ego will inflate greatly. After a short while all the sentimentality is also spent, and your head will a splode in a massive splosion, fusing the elements into huge atoms of intricate insanity. Meanwhile, your soul will shrink beyond the limits of possiblity and turn darker than the night, consuming all the poor souls that stand close to you.
Just close your eyes and keep your mind wide open.

Offline Gravehill

• Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
  • Dignity! Strength! Love!
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2007, 12:12:11 am »
Watch out. If you implode too far, your core might start fusing the nostalgia into sentimentality. That process will go on for a while until the nostalgia in the core is all spent, after which you will collapse further. If your mass is sufficient, the sentimentality will at some point ignite, and you will initiate another process fusing sentimentality into melancholy, which releases so much energy that your ego will inflate greatly. After a short while all the sentimentality is also spent, and your head will a splode in a massive splosion, fusing the elements into huge atoms of intricate insanity. Meanwhile, your soul will shrink beyond the limits of possiblity and turn darker than the night, consuming all the poor souls that stand close to you.
= You become me

On topic thou : Dungeon Keeper's were fun. We used to play them, me and my wife. We both enjoyed them very very much. Torture chambers, realm descriptions and all... It was such fun. We even once changed spoken language into croatia or something, it sounded really spooky (it was euro version) :D

I hope this game will become good... or necessarily evil, that would be pleasure as well.
Random ramblings and furious feminine novels per versatility.

Offline Trias

« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2007, 12:20:42 am »
so, I've only tried no. 1. Was it really that way that most of the time you were busy destroying other keepers? So in the end you were not really fighting good?

That's like why the second half of Tie Fighter was boring, as you would fight against imperials all over again. If anyone knows what I'm talking about.

Offline harvey danger

• Machinae Prime
  • Werd
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2007, 12:22:16 am »
Revived:

Overlord shall haveth multiplayer.

"There hasn’t been any news about the upcoming Dutch developed Overlord since March, but here is some good news for you guys that can’t wait to get your hands on this game. Firstly, some information on the multiplayer end of this game has been confirmed. As well as this, the developers Triumph Studios has confirmed that there will be some interesting DLC released.
Overlord is due for release this summer

The big thing people wonder about new games is if it will have multiplayer features or not. Well, Overlord will and here are some details from Neo GAF on what multiplayer features there will be. There will be a deathmatch mode in which minions will fight it out. Currently this mode is being referred to as Slaughtermode, but the name could be changed before the game is released.

The next multiplayer feature is one that almost everybody loves. There is nothing more fun then playing through a campaign again, but this time with a friend in co-op mode. However, it wasn’t mentioned if this is only local co-op or if there will also be co-op via Xbox Live. Hopefully, both of these and system link co-op will be available as, in my opinion, Xbox Live co-op is better then local or system link.

There is also a multiplayer mode currently being called Plunder Challenge (once more, the name of this mode could be changed prior to release). The objective is simply to loot and get as much as you can. Or, if you like, you can get your minions to get it for you. You’ll have to protect what you grab and the winner will be the person with the most loot.

Another major part of game is downloadable content. Downloadable content like new maps and levels really add to the experience of a game, and this is exactly what we can expect for Overlord. The DLC that will be released is multiplayer maps and a new story chapter. This new chapter will also add more characters to the game.

You can expect to see Overlord on shelves during the summer and you will be able to purchase it for either your Xbox 360 or PC."

So... huzzah!
That's the problem with heroes, really. Their only purpose in life is to thwart others. They make no plans, develop no strategies. They react instead of act. Without villains, heroes would stagnate. Without heroes, villains would be running the world. Heroes have morals. Villains have work ethic.

Offline Stifo

« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2007, 03:26:49 pm »
Sounds cool, but I agree with evilcandybag. I want the real and true DK3!
Hope they have the "slap" function in this game too.