Author Topic: Anime!  (Read 23209 times)

Offline Torp v2.0

• Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
  • Happiness is Mandatory!
    • My homepage
Re: Anime!
« Reply #30 on: March 21, 2007, 12:52:08 am »
a lot of you seem to like Evangelion.
I got bored after awhile... it seemed like every other "i'm a teenager and I own a giant robot!" anime.
with a few interesting twists, I guess.
but not enough to really grab me.

True, in many ways. Up until the end, it's that. The first maybe 20 episodes could have been cut down into half, at least. But the last part...oh...I love it.
...why Torp was picked over you... HE'S JUST BETTER THAN YOU IN EVERY RESPECT. -SomethingGood
<Radicz0r> Torp is well prepared for universal destruction

[03:18:49] <WereVolvo> ARCTIC
[03:18:51] <WereVolvo> not arctic

Offline Sirix

• Self proclaimed forum Villain
  • Community Supporter
  • Machinae Prime
« Reply #31 on: March 21, 2007, 12:54:00 am »
The most mentioned ones are probably going to be the most common ones though. I think we should also have a list of hidden gems, animes that not many people know about but are good nonetheless. I haven't heard of some of these animes myself but I would probably check them out if a number of people backed them up on how good they were.

ok, done taking the polls.

i'll change the first post now with the most mentioned (I didn't count if it was mentioned in a negative manner)

Offline Ant

• Donated so refic can buy beer
  • Community Supporter
  • Machinae Prime
  • It's personal text.
« Reply #32 on: March 21, 2007, 04:52:37 am »
I have never watched much anime before but i liked Gravehill's decription of Trigun and saw it mentioned a few other times so i am currently getting it to watch
But if one day we meet together while I'm drunk, I promise you to draw a big group sex picture including a lot of forumites. :D

Ich bin ein Berliner, Frankfurter, Hamburger und Bonner

Offline Valentine Revolution

• Twitter
« Reply #33 on: March 21, 2007, 11:35:29 pm »
I've just gotten a workmate into Trigun. I saw it a few years back and I still love it. I don't watch as much anime as I used to, I'm having trouble finding a new series to really get into since I finished Chobits. I'm halfway through Strawberry Panic (its not great, but its good "comfort" viewing) and about 10 eps in to Mai-Hime, which is alright, but isn't going anywhere much yet. I've just gotten the second Hellsing OVA to watch, I love the series so this is a must watch for me :)

I think my problem is when I first got into anime, I liked the really "girly" ones, like Sailor Moon, and the odd Clamp series. Now I've grown out of that I'm not sure where to look next.

Offline Trias

« Reply #34 on: March 21, 2007, 11:36:49 pm »
hm, nobody knows Noein? (I already mentioned it)

Offline Gravehill

• Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
  • Dignity! Strength! Love!
« Reply #35 on: March 21, 2007, 11:58:45 pm »
@Spider Chii - some recommendations from those series I mentioned:

Wolf's Rain. It's impressive, dark and beautiful and there's enough bishounen to make it little sweet to watch. Serious series, mostly. Drawn very well... Every second is like watching painting, really. It's only something like 20 episodes, easy to watch.

Ranma½ is quite weird, funny and... well, I liked it a lot, just like my wife did. There's little romance, little mild cartoon king-fu violence, dirty old men, gender swapping fun, weird situations and pretty much everything. Comedy series, mostly. It's only... something like 161 episodes or something? Very long series, some like 7 seasons I think. I've not even seen all episodes, I've read it as manga and got 4 seasons in DVD-boxes (plus some movie and OVA's). Funny stuff, thou.

Inuyasha might be good pick as well. There's mystical things, magic, romance, comedy, swords and quite brutal violence, practically everything. Serious series with slight comedy to balance the outcome. If you like fantasy things this would be very strong pick. This one's also 167 episodes or something. I've seen about 100 episodes and I liked it lot. I'm going to restart it some day and watch it all the way through. Damn... Did I mention Inuyasha in my original post? If not then it's mistake I must correct!

Only reason I put Ranma½ and Inuyasha on halt is because we got kid and it literally sucks all of our freetime. When he gets older we'll continue our hobbies on larger volumes. Until then I'm happy to know there's so much good stuff awaiting us :D
Random ramblings and furious feminine novels per versatility.

• Twitter
« Reply #36 on: March 22, 2007, 12:59:44 am »
I have a lot of the Ranma 1/2 manga, but there's just so much of it :P Inuyasha's coming out on DVD here soon, might pick it up if its cheap enough

Offline Sirix

• Community Supporter
  • Machinae Prime
« Reply #37 on: March 22, 2007, 02:10:21 am »
Inuyasha might be good pick as well. There's mystical things, magic, romance, comedy, swords and quite brutal violence, practically everything. Serious series with slight comedy to balance the outcome. If you like fantasy things this would be very strong pick. This one's also 167 episodes or something. I've seen about 100 episodes and I liked it lot. I'm going to restart it some day and watch it all the way through. Damn... Did I mention Inuyasha in my original post? If not then it's mistake I must correct!

BAD GRAVEHILL.
BAD!

I'M NOT ADDING INUYASHA TO THE LIST EVER

I liked it for the first 10 episodes... then any mild potential it could have had is wasted on absolutely useless filler.
it's one of those animes where you keep expecting GREAT fight scenes, then Inuyasha just hauls backlash waves out of his ass left and right... and then they repeat themselves even more than Naruto.

"he will need the backlash wave to defeat this enemy..."
"you mean he will need the BACKLASH wave to win?"
"yes, you are very smart kagome, you figured out that he will need the backlash wave to win this battle"
"so he'll need the backlash wave... oh inuyasha"
*Cut to inuyasha fighting*
"he'll need to get that backlash wave so he can win"
"yes kagome, he will need the backlash wave or else he will perish
"the back lash wave is your only hope inuyasha!"
"yes inuyasha, please master th--[anger]OH SHUT THE F*** UP YOU USELESS GAWD DAMN ANIMETARDS.

edit: oh! and 1 of the movies I saw is even worse.
guess how they win?
SPOILER ALERT
with the power of love and friendship!

JUST RAPE ME IN THE ASS UNTIL I DIE NOW
[/anger]

« Last Edit: March 22, 2007, 02:11:58 am by Sirix »

Lysix

« Reply #38 on: March 22, 2007, 02:15:40 am »
JUST RAPE ME IN THE ASS UNTIL I DIE NOW

;)

Cardcaptors probably doesn't count, but i used to watch it a few years back. xD

Offline Ant

• Donated so refic can buy beer
  • Community Supporter
  • Machinae Prime
  • It's personal text.
« Reply #39 on: March 22, 2007, 04:21:20 am »
Ahhh Trigun was awesome, i never knew Vash was in that, most satisfying indeed

I found Noir way too slow, 2 episodes in and i had no idea what the hell was happening

Gonna go try some more now ^^
But if one day we meet together while I'm drunk, I promise you to draw a big group sex picture including a lot of forumites. :D

Ich bin ein Berliner, Frankfurter, Hamburger und Bonner

Offline Laser.T

• 日本人ですか?
  • Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
« Reply #40 on: March 22, 2007, 03:05:26 pm »

Cardcaptors probably doesn't count, but i used to watch it a few years back. xD

Stuff like Cardcaptors and Digimon (not Pokemon! :p) got me into anime in the first place so I'm eternally grateful to them, even if they are a bit rubbish

Offline cloudstrifex

« Reply #41 on: March 22, 2007, 10:00:01 pm »
Pokemon > Digimon

Offline Sirix

• Community Supporter
  • Machinae Prime
« Reply #42 on: March 22, 2007, 10:23:54 pm »
Pokemon > Digimon

neva!

the first two seasons of Digimon rocked so hard.

the rest... blew.

Pokemon I still watch on occasion too though... hrm.
there is something utterly addicting about watching battles and watching the characters capture new pokemon.

GARRRR

• Twitter
« Reply #43 on: March 23, 2007, 12:21:05 am »
I only watched one Digimon episode, and thats because I was intrigued by how such a scantily-clad female character made it into a peak-time kids show.

Offline Sirix

• Community Supporter
  • Machinae Prime
« Reply #44 on: March 23, 2007, 05:08:34 am »
I only watched one Digimon episode, and thats because I was intrigued by how such a scantily-clad female character made it into a peak-time kids show.

season 3 has out right nudity.

kinda.
they'd fuse with their digimon or something, and get all naked but smooth everywhere and glowy blue.

also: what the HELL is it with people and implementing cards into shows and video games?
what the hell is with cards? they all SUCK like crazy... only decent one was Kingdom Hearts: Chain of memories.

that wasn't as off topic as it seemed to those who didn't see Digimon season 3... they used cards to pump their digimon... anyway... *die*