Author Topic: Anime!  (Read 23938 times)

Offline SomethingApt

• Machinae Prime
  • [this space for rent]
Re: Anime!
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2007, 08:18:20 pm »
I noticed FLCL (also known as Furi Kuri) is not in ANY of your lists.
i'd label it as comedy/sci-fi/mindfuck.

If i had a list... it would be in mine. I'm not a big anime watcher though. Let's see...

Neon Genesis Evangelion
Hellsing
Bokusatsu Tenshi Dokuro-chan
Furi Kuri
Elfen Lied

That's about all I've watched. Good stuff though.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2007, 08:39:19 pm by SomethingApt »

Offline Pete

« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2007, 08:34:47 pm »
Let's see...

Elfen Lied, Full Metal Alchemist, Samurai Champloo, Cowboy Bebop...

I really want to watch the Kenshin series, as despite the fact it's not got the same tone as the awesome OVAs, I want to find out what happens afterwards :<

Also: Anyone happen to know if GITS:SAC 2nd GIG is any good? I just picked up three dvds for £20 in Virgin, for that simple pricely fact :x

Offline SomethingApt

• Machinae Prime
  • [this space for rent]
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2007, 08:38:55 pm »
Elfen Lied

ooooh! i've seen that too, was awesome... i need to add it to my list...

Offline Xhu

• Gentlemen... it's a nuclear device.
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2007, 09:30:09 pm »
Outlaw Star.
(i) There will come a day when nothing you did matters. But it is not today. Here and now, you are alive.
(ii) Live well under your own authority.
(iii) Abolishing suffering is impossible. Lessening suffering is mandatory.

Offline Trias

« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2007, 11:25:07 pm »
I haven't seen much, but I'd like to see more... so far I liked:

ghost in the shell
spirited away
noein... anyone knows that one?

FLCL is also pretty... interesting :)

Offline Einkoro

• Machinae Prime
  • ~tima
    • http://www.janpingel.com/
« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2007, 12:02:21 am »
Currently watching Bakumatsu Kikansetsu Irohanihoheto as each episode is released and ever so slowly piling through all 110 eps of Legend of Galactic Heroes (Starships! Space! No mechs! Yay!).

Just watched through Crest of the Stars and Banner of the Stars 1-3. Starships! Space! No mechs! Yay! Other (somewhat) recently watched shows are: Ergo Proxy (HD anime is sexy!), Eureka Seven, Puni Puni Poemi, Raimuiro Senkitan, The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, Berserk, Blood+, and Fate Stay Night.

Cromartie High School (English dub actually makes it even more funny than in Japanese) and Irresponsible Captain Tylor (Starships! Space! No mechs! Yay!) are by far the most funny shows I've ever seen. Definitely must see animes. Probably my two favourites.
"Don't believe anyone when they tell you irony is just a literary convention. It's a universal constant, like the coefficient of gravity." - Alfred Bester

Offline Jack Lupino

• Worst Dude
  • Machinae Prime
« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2007, 12:31:25 am »
I'm currently watching Death Note, Air Gear, and Bleach

Offline Pete

« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2007, 02:17:27 am »
Ah! how could I forget Cromartie Highschool? It's awesomely weird, and actually funny :D

Offline Gravehill

• Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
  • Dignity! Strength! Love!
« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2007, 01:47:47 pm »
I really want to watch the Kenshin series, as despite the fact it's not got the same tone as the awesome OVAs, I want to find out what happens afterwards :<
Yeah, series is 'bit more childlike than OVA's. It's good thou IMO. I mean, themes are not for kids, there's lots of violence and blood, drinking and stuff there still. It's just lighter, more optimistic and generally more humorous than two OVA's.  Just give it some time, it get's better as it progress. If you find that you don't like the anime try manga instead - it's pure dynamite! It's from completely other dimension all together. If you liked the series then it's even better!

And btw, there's still one extra OVA and movie existing. That extra OVA does not make much sense if you have not read the manga and it's done by fan support - I find it not generally fitting to other aspects of series, it's too fragmented IMO. But graphically it's far better than series. Movie is nice... I was hoping for more since we (me&wife) grew to be fans of Kenshin and so it's measured in "Kenshin" degrees which gives it unfairly low rating in our eyes. It's good thou... But you know how it goes. One comes more critical when one's grown to like something really, really much.
Random ramblings and furious feminine novels per versatility.

Offline Laser.T

• 日本人ですか?
  • Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2007, 05:58:58 pm »
I noticed FLCL (also known as Furi Kuri) is not in ANY of your lists.
i'd label it as comedy/sci-fi/mindfuck.

it's only 6 episodes long and it's one of my most highly recomended.
CHECK
IT
OUT.

Yeah, seen it and I thought it was excellent. Absolutely genius, in fact. But there's so many I've seen, I only posted my favorites.

And today I watched the entirity of Mai-Otome. Being a follow-on (not a sequel cos it's not quite the same universe) of Mai-HiME, I was expecting it to be not as good. But I was wrong. It was just as good. Right on the same top par.

As for some of the more famous series: Evangelion I enjoyed, I cannot doubt that, I thought it was great, but I'm really sick of hearing about it and the constant obsession with it everywhere. It was good yeah, but jesus it wasn't anything more than many others. I read an interview from that dude that made it (name's escaped me :/) and he said "Evangelion is still the most advanced anime even after all these years". I thought, get your ass off your high horse. You had a nervous breakdown and now you think you made the greatest animated feature ever. Fuck off.

I don't tend to go for the big shounen series. DBZ is dire, I've avoided Naruto, Bleach and Rurorin Kenshin the the best I can and Gundam is the same every single time (except Destiny, though that's no better). As for Initial D, I want to stab my eyeballs out... However I would advise looking out for Jing King of Bandits and D'Grayman. Sometimes even I like Shounen Jump.

Offline Smogelore

• Too Drunk To FSCK
« Reply #25 on: March 20, 2007, 08:27:56 pm »
FLCL is a real gem... i recommend it

other good series
Trigun
Cowboy Bepop
Sunabouzu/Desert Punk
Neon Genesis Evangelion
DearS
Kiba
Samurai Champloo
sadly I can't remember all good series...

I've begun to dislike all these "ancient japan" timeline series but samurai champloo is an exception  :P
HAY!!! who stole my avatar... again...

Offline Narquelie

• wish me monsters.
    • livejournal (in finnish only, sorry)
« Reply #26 on: March 20, 2007, 09:28:49 pm »
Ginga Nagareboshi Gin! (Known as Silver Fang in Sweden, and as Hopeanuoli in Finland.) I'm surprised that no one mentioned this. Although it probably isn't that familiar to anyone else but finns, swedes and koreans, since it's originally released only in those three countries (besides Japan of course). I don't even know if there is any english-fansub-version of it, still less a DVD. I've been a fan since the ancient finn-dubbed and brutally edited VHS's which I first saw in 1991 or something. It was so amazing to see the whole uncut story when it was released on DVD in 2003.

The sequel, Ginga Densetsu Weed, was also quite enjoyable. But GNG has too much nostalgic value, nothing can ever be better series as a whole. The music, knowing every detail and remembering the plot by heart, and still wanting to watch it over and over again. And btw, Akame=hawt! <3

(Hmm, that got a bit out of hand, my apologies)

My other favourites in the world of anime are for example all the Ghibli-studio's films (especially Totoro, Spirited Away and Mononoke Hime), Visions Of Escaflowne, NGE, .hack//SIGN, Kaikan Phrase, Digimon, Full Metal Alchemist, Alfred J. Kwak and of course Moomin. :)
Maire-san no Datsun wa kaji de yakemashita.

Offline gaijin

• Hiding behind the couch
  • Community Supporter
  • "You sound like the Morning Star"
    • Motljus
« Reply #27 on: March 20, 2007, 09:32:55 pm »
*.studio gibli
Oi, is this when I get a huge sig-image, start whining about "moar sid" and make nonsensical arguments to no good?

Offline Sirix

• Self proclaimed forum Villain
  • Community Supporter
  • Machinae Prime
« Reply #28 on: March 21, 2007, 12:35:48 am »
ok, i'm going to go through this and make a list of the animes and how often they were mentioned.

i'll make it the first post.
this way we can see the most recomended and make a decision much more easily on which to watch next.

Offline cloudstrifex

« Reply #29 on: March 21, 2007, 12:38:25 am »
The most mentioned ones are probably going to be the most common ones though. I think we should also have a list of hidden gems, animes that not many people know about but are good nonetheless. I haven't heard of some of these animes myself but I would probably check them out if a number of people backed them up on how good they were.