Author Topic: Pet Peeves  (Read 25079 times)

Offline Fallout

• Machinae Prime
Re: Pet Peeves
« Reply #75 on: March 19, 2007, 11:22:51 pm »
Quote from: Dimruthien
nothing to say except: keep it civil.

however, the limit on sig images is 400x140px which means youre out by quite a bit, Annie. If you want an example, fallout's sig pic is the exact right size.

i had to resize my own sig image which was out by 100px

also keep it on topic please.

You have nice hair

Are you drunk again?

Offline Jack Lupino

• Worst Dude
  • Machinae Prime
« Reply #76 on: March 20, 2007, 01:19:53 am »
People who can't give approval to someone no matter what they do, call it a personal vandetta, grudge, unsolveable.

Offline Viherminttu

« Reply #77 on: March 20, 2007, 04:27:18 am »
people who think arguing about an issue on a forum/livejournal/etc is going to somehow miraculously impact the issue in the real world.
<WereVolvo> moar sid! new album sux! music vid sux! machinae are sellouts! where i find crappack lulz? when is page getting updated? gief moar free songs plx. zomg plz come to the US/UK/Mars/Alpha Centauri! when r u guyz gonna do a tour? i think u shuld come to this festival it wuld be gr8!

Offline WereVolvo

• IRC Love Butter supplier
  • Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
  • Volvot ulvoo kuun savuun!
    • My personal site
« Reply #78 on: March 20, 2007, 06:26:04 am »
Religious people who try to force their religion on others, and fundamentalists in general.

Seriously, this may be one of the things that pisses me off the most. The sheer arrogance of thinking that YOUR religion and viewpoints are right, and seriously believing that anyone who disagrees with your religion will burn in hell or whatever. Missionaries should be shot on sight IMO. "Hi, my name is George and your religious viewpoints are wrong, no matter what you say. Join the church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster or you will burn in hell for all eternity." Sure, their proselytizing may be motivated by a sense of compassion or doing good or whatever ("I shall go out and get people to join my religion so that they will avoid burning in hell"), but the sheer arrogance.... AAARGH! And don't even get me STARTED on people who use their religion as an excuse to commit hatecrimes, acts of terrorism, limit free speech etc...

/rant
<@Torp> I have seen your melted pussy!

Real Dwarfs wall themselves in once they are underground, and survive through incest and cat farming.

Offline Viherminttu

« Reply #79 on: March 20, 2007, 06:37:54 am »
oh yeah.. like handing me a flyer about your religion is gonna make me conform. sheesh
<WereVolvo> moar sid! new album sux! music vid sux! machinae are sellouts! where i find crappack lulz? when is page getting updated? gief moar free songs plx. zomg plz come to the US/UK/Mars/Alpha Centauri! when r u guyz gonna do a tour? i think u shuld come to this festival it wuld be gr8!

Offline harvey danger

• Machinae Prime
  • Werd
« Reply #80 on: March 20, 2007, 07:01:55 am »
It's the Jehovah's Witnesses you have to watch out for. They're so damn nice.
That's the problem with heroes, really. Their only purpose in life is to thwart others. They make no plans, develop no strategies. They react instead of act. Without villains, heroes would stagnate. Without heroes, villains would be running the world. Heroes have morals. Villains have work ethic.

Offline Jack Lupino

• Worst Dude
  • Machinae Prime
« Reply #81 on: March 20, 2007, 07:51:17 pm »
oh yeah.. like handing me a flyer about your religion is gonna make me conform. sheesh
Now that's not exactly what talhoffer meant, i think. The flyer is not their was of persuading or forcing you to do something you don't intend/want, but a flyer is meant to inform people of their beliefs and what they stand for. Most of the times it also has a adress or a phone number on it if you want to join. Its an entirely free choice.

Offline Schattenjaeger

• Somewhere inside I'd like to find...
« Reply #82 on: March 20, 2007, 09:41:33 pm »
Zealots... oh I hate zealots...

And ignorant people (not to be confused with stupid people, who are incapable of learning in the first place). Stupid people and ignorant people who insist on making my life miserable. People it's against the law for me to remove from the gene pool. Republicans. Democrats. Politicians in general.

Ok, some seriousness...

Ignorance.
Zealotry.
Generally holding the belief you are infallible. (We have a joke about one of the managers at work. We call her Queen Helene (Helene being her first name). Whenever someone makes a serious mistake, someone is always apt to make a comment about how Helene would NEVER do that...)
Refusing to admit you were wrong even after it is proved you WERE WRONG. (Helene again)
Arguing that you are right when you know nothing about what you're talking about and the person who does is in fact right and you're wrong. (and again)
Failing to comprehend a sarcastic comment when every attempt is made to make the sarcasm obvious short of saying out loud you are being sarcastic. (and once more)
On a subnote to that: I do not hate my sense of humor. I hate it when people fail to get my sense of humor. I love it to no end when people can't really tell whether I am being serious or sarcastic and actually have to think for a bit to figure it out... and STILL can't decide. If it's important, I'll tell 'em I was being sarcastic; a lot of the time when I AM sarcastic to the point of not being sure about it, it's a "shock value" comment, where I definitely do not WANT the person thinking I'm actually being serious about what I've just said.
Old peeves:
Entering a room through a closed door without obtaining permission from the person within. My dad has always been a horrible offender on this note. He would knock, and then open the door without waiting for any kind of reply. Eventually I got sick of it and started locking my door, which pissed him off because he could no longer open the door right away. It's his fault I obsessively lock doors to this day.
Also, I have a tendency to close my door when I'm not in the room. I only have one heating/cooling vent that works in my room, so in the Winter it gets cold and in the Summer it gets hot, especially if I leave the door open and venting to the un-aired hallway. My dad sometimes goes in (usually to scoop laundry off my floor) and doesn't close it again. We had a recent argument over that, where I asked him to be sure to close the door when he left. He asked me to rephrase my request with the word 'please'. I fired back, saying I shouldn't even have to ask in the first place, it should be common courtesy to leave the door as it was found. (btw, I'm 21... I can in no way, shape, or form afford to move out. I go to a community college and commute. I also work two jobs. I'm at one of them now.)

On another mini-topic. I used to have, and still to a point do (I haven't bought new pants in about a year because it's painful to go shopping for them) have problems finding clothes that fit in terms of pants and shorts. I like my jeans loose and baggy. I liked the brief period where it was actually kind of normal to wear jeans with legs big enough to hold about 10 of your own comfortably. Unfortunately I grew out of those pairs =(. I'm 6' 3", about 160 pounds (been a bit since I weighed myself, but given the recent loose feeling in my jeans, that's probably an overshot) and have a 36" inseam. Almost four feet of my body exists below the waist. And I'm thin. I typically wear 34" waist jeans for the looseness and because 34/36 actually exists whereas 32/36 (my actual size) is nigh on impossible to find oft times. For shorts, I HATE it when they end above my knee. HATE HATE HATE. So that's fun, because "below my knee" is at least a 1.5 foot inseam. I do however have one small upshot in liking "carpenter" style pants and shorts, both of which tend to run longer and baggier. And have those nice side pockets I can hide my wallet in. Shirts I'm fine. Size S would fit me "like a glove" but I prefer, again, loose and baggy, so I wear L. And yeah, I notice "L" varies significantly among different brands.
Your approval fills me with shame.

Offline Jack Lupino

• Worst Dude
  • Machinae Prime
« Reply #83 on: March 21, 2007, 12:50:39 am »
i got a nose bleed from reading that.

Offline Drain

« Reply #84 on: March 21, 2007, 02:19:13 am »
Zealots... oh I hate zealots...

I love zealots :( They are like the core unit of any PvZ army :/

Offline Gravehill

• Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
  • Dignity! Strength! Love!
« Reply #85 on: March 21, 2007, 12:50:05 pm »
When I was younger I had lots of pet peeves. Nowadays I don't have them so much - situations come and go. I get angry and then cool down. There's two reasons why I've tried to work so that situation would develop to that direction.

First of all this is due basic mechanism of peeveness. First of all, peeves come from person's internal conflict. They come, because we try to force our values or morals to someone else. Someone does something that's against our own morals, it brings frustration and anxiety and we start to keep that certain someone as peeve when in the matter of fact the fault is in us. Another reason to someone to become peeve is that we reflect our own problems to someone else. Like if we are alone and hate that situation and see couples in love kissing somewhere passionately they become peeves - in the matter of fact they are  not the problem, problem is in us. Now... When you really think about this thing, projecting hate, disgust, jealousy and other similar feelings is not very productive way to deal with situation. Instead of hating someone it's more productive to think why this thing provokes such strong feelings. Usually there's some unsolved conflicts and problems that block our spiritual and mental growth. Dealing with those problems makes life easier and improves self knowledge. It also makes conflicts fewer thus progressing peace.

Now, there's also second reason. Second reason is that further I've lived more I had to have eaten my own shit. Most of us don't even notice that once in their life they might be sitting on that very same chair where those we blamed and accused while younger sat once. It's very uncomfortable chair because when one really sits in it and understands reasons and situations that lead to that one realizes how unjust those words and thoughts once were. Also I have noticed that when I've gotten myself into position when I've became one of my own peeves I've grown to see that I did not realize anything about that current affair when I blamed it as one of my peeves. More you have peeves more you will get into situations where you are doing exactly what disgusted you once.

All this has lead to situation where I try to minimize amount of my peeves because a) fault is in me b) eventually I might do exactly same thing.
Random ramblings and furious feminine novels per versatility.