Author Topic: Commodore music software  (Read 1939 times)

Offline Warrior Bob

• Rock.
    • The Fighting dot org
Commodore music software
« on: March 12, 2007, 10:45:14 pm »
So I have this shiny new Commodore 128.  It's got a C64 compatibility mode so I'm pretty sure I can run any C64 software out there.

I'd like to start making some SID noises with this thing using something other than BASIC, which is tedous.  Do any of you have any suggestions for good music software for this machine?  Perhaps more importantly, do any of you know (or can point me to) a technique for getting this software onto an old machine like this? 

Googling has netted me Cybertracker and Prophet64 which are looking good, but the former has no cartridge so I'd need to download it and then get it onto a disk somehow, and the latter seems to basically require a mouse which I don't have. 

Thanks!

Offline Kernel

Re: Commodore music software
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2007, 10:05:41 pm »
Well... atm I'm planning to get my own C64, so I read up on some things...

Okay... Have you tried "Soundmonitor"? Looks pretty good from what I saw (5 Minutes of playing around with it).

Well, for getting Software on this thing... It has the same 5.25"-Disks as the C64, right?
So you could just get a 1541, make (or buy) a 1541XA-Cable and hook the old floppy drive up to your PC's parralel port. Most Emulators can read and write from and to 1541's on the parallel port.
The other thing you cold try is get a tap2wav-Program, convert the .tap-Files you downloaded or made in an Emulator to .wav's, record them on a cassette (via a tape-deck connected to the Line-Out of your PC) and put this cassette into an actual Datasette-Drive on your Commodore. But this method is REALLY slow...
There seems to be some Software for DOS which can emulate a 1541, so you could connect your Commodore directly to your PC. But it's for DOS and does not work in a DOS-Emulator, and it seems that it's not for free...