Author Topic: new age  (Read 5729 times)

Offline L'homme magique

• Machinae Prime
  • Stay Calm
Re: new age
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2007, 10:52:06 pm »
"what's machinae supremacy like"
"they're a metal band, they use a commodore 64 sound chip in their music"
"sounds cool"

"what're pavement like"
"pretty typical indie rock"
"ah I see"

it only gets complicated when you start being a douchebag and making up 1000 subgenres.

"what're the gerogerigegege like"
"i have no idea, you have to listen to them yourself"
":( douchebag"

(i don't put genre tags on my music either)
"It's like growing up reading good books or listening to good music. One good sofa breeds another good sofa; one bad sofa breeds another bad sofa. That's how it goes."

Offline Ant

• Donated so refic can buy beer
  • Community Supporter
  • Machinae Prime
  • It's personal text.
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2007, 11:59:07 pm »
there're liek ubar cresseee
But if one day we meet together while I'm drunk, I promise you to draw a big group sex picture including a lot of forumites. :D

Ich bin ein Berliner, Frankfurter, Hamburger und Bonner

Offline PrescriptiveBarony

• Machinae Prime
  • Let there be blacklight.
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2007, 08:06:53 am »
"what're the gerogerigegege like"

Is it sad that i can answer that?

A wise man once said: "I'm not even all that up on the whole concept of genres, but I do my best in a world where every single band claims not to fall into one genre like everyone else. It's all just music."

That being said, however, genres are sorta useful as broad strokes to describe music or be able to recognize something you probably won't like (much like making snap judgments of people based on ethnicity, age, body type, face, etc.). But the further you go and the more stock you place in it, as magicman noted, the less useful and more douchebaggy it gets (same with the snap judgments of people). "Hardcore shoegazing ambient happy hardcore trance" is not a semantically productive series of words.

Quote from: Drakonis
Everybody should just <3.

Lysix

« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2007, 02:53:31 pm »
I don't tag my music with genre, simply because i don't browse it by genre.

Offline L'homme magique

• Machinae Prime
  • Stay Calm
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2007, 10:46:37 pm »
Is it sad that i can answer that?
No.
"It's like growing up reading good books or listening to good music. One good sofa breeds another good sofa; one bad sofa breeds another bad sofa. That's how it goes."

Offline harvey danger

• Machinae Prime
  • Werd
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2007, 12:45:14 am »
I use genres as pretty general categories just to section my music a bit. That way I can find something to suit my mood without just browsing artist after artist.
That's the problem with heroes, really. Their only purpose in life is to thwart others. They make no plans, develop no strategies. They react instead of act. Without villains, heroes would stagnate. Without heroes, villains would be running the world. Heroes have morals. Villains have work ethic.

Offline Ant

• Donated so refic can buy beer
  • Community Supporter
  • Machinae Prime
  • It's personal text.
« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2007, 12:49:50 am »
If you know your music collection you should instantly know what to listen to for your mood
But if one day we meet together while I'm drunk, I promise you to draw a big group sex picture including a lot of forumites. :D

Ich bin ein Berliner, Frankfurter, Hamburger und Bonner

Offline harvey danger

• Machinae Prime
  • Werd
« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2007, 01:08:21 am »
If you know your music collection you should instantly know what to listen to for your mood

I know my collection. Problem is, I don't know my moods.

This way, I can browse "acoustic" until I decide whether I want dark/sad acoustic or wispy, hopeful acoustic.
That's the problem with heroes, really. Their only purpose in life is to thwart others. They make no plans, develop no strategies. They react instead of act. Without villains, heroes would stagnate. Without heroes, villains would be running the world. Heroes have morals. Villains have work ethic.

Offline Jack Lupino

• Worst Dude
  • Machinae Prime
« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2007, 12:59:10 am »
Yeah, this band actually labelled themselves as Emotional Post-Screamo-core punkgrind