Author Topic: Grammatical stuffs (split from "Xbox Live! User List")  (Read 5551 times)

Offline SomethingApt

• Machinae Prime
  • [this space for rent]
Grammatical stuffs (split from "Xbox Live! User List")
« on: February 17, 2007, 08:51:40 pm »
Hah I could care less about levels

GAH! Why does everybody say that?!?! it's "I couldn't care less". Saying I could care less just doesn't make any sense.

* SomethingApt starts screaming and pulling his hair out.

Offline Xhu

• Gentlemen... it's a nuclear device.
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2007, 08:54:53 pm »

GAH! Why does everybody say that?!?! it's "I couldn't care less". Saying I could care less just doesn't make any sense.

Wha...I just assumed I'd got it wrong thoughout my life. You mean it really is 'couldn't'? >.<
(i) There will come a day when nothing you did matters. But it is not today. Here and now, you are alive.
(ii) Live well under your own authority.
(iii) Abolishing suffering is impossible. Lessening suffering is mandatory.

Offline cloudstrifex

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2007, 09:13:35 pm »

I used to wonder the same thing!! Until I figured it was a lost cause and started doing it myself. :-X

Offline harvey danger

• Machinae Prime
  • Werd
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2007, 11:33:33 pm »

Har har. I was talking about the same exact thing two days ago.
That's the problem with heroes, really. Their only purpose in life is to thwart others. They make no plans, develop no strategies. They react instead of act. Without villains, heroes would stagnate. Without heroes, villains would be running the world. Heroes have morals. Villains have work ethic.

Offline PrescriptiveBarony

• Machinae Prime
  • Let there be blacklight.
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2007, 11:20:13 am »
If you're going to start demanding that everything we say make literal sense, we've got some problems... yes, it was originally "couldn't," because that does logically make sense. but now it's just a saying. and you know exactly what people mean when they say it, so communication has been achieved and for all intents and purposes, that person successfully said what they wanted to say. Fortunately, everyone appreciates the sense of control that comes with linguistic pedantry, so they'll listen if you correct them, but truly you haven't a soapbox to stand upon.

Quote from: Drakonis
Everybody should just <3.

Offline SomethingApt

• Machinae Prime
  • [this space for rent]
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2007, 12:02:50 pm »
If you're going to start demanding that everything we say make literal sense, we've got some problems... yes, it was originally "couldn't," because that does logically make sense. but now it's just a saying. and you know exactly what people mean when they say it, so communication has been achieved and for all intents and purposes, that person successfully said what they wanted to say. Fortunately, everyone appreciates the sense of control that comes with linguistic pedantry, so they'll listen if you correct them, but truly you haven't a soapbox to stand upon.

sowwy... :(

Offline Xhu

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2007, 04:35:18 pm »

You understand people hu typ liek ths, too, even if you don't want to. The criteria of understanding has been fulfilled. Does that mean we should all adopt annoying AIM-speak?
(i) There will come a day when nothing you did matters. But it is not today. Here and now, you are alive.

• Machinae Prime
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2007, 09:45:05 pm »
not adopt... but accept. why not? how does it affect you other than by offending your arbitrary sense of spelling ego?

i don't mean to be all snobby about not being snobby.. i very much understand the impetus to strangle people who don't know the difference between their and there. but i also believe in my heart that such a mistake has nothing to do with reality, and doesn't make them a bad person.

Offline Xhu

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2007, 10:36:50 pm »
Slippery slope, right there. Soon we're gonna have regional and cultural dialects to the point of not understanding a word the other person says without some sort of training, even though we'd both be speaking english.

And I realise I'm not including other languages in this one. Mostly because I don't know them, or how far things like this are spread in them.

Offline harvey danger

• Machinae Prime
  • Werd
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2007, 12:17:47 am »
not adopt... but accept. why not? how does it affect you other than by offending your arbitrary sense of spelling ego?
Slippery slope, right there. Soon we're gonna have regional and cultural dialects to the point of not understanding a word the other person says without some sort of training, even though we'd both be speaking english.

Indeed. I suppose the transformation of languages (Latin into the various Romance languages) is inevitable, but I'd prefer to preserve what we have for as long as possible. If that doesn't happen, then it seems like much of our ability to express ourselves will disappear. AIM-speak is not accommodating to poetry.
That's the problem with heroes, really. Their only purpose in life is to thwart others. They make no plans, develop no strategies. They react instead of act. Without villains, heroes would stagnate. Without heroes, villains would be running the world. Heroes have morals. Villains have work ethic.

Offline cloudstrifex

« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2007, 12:24:26 am »
wut r u talkin bout yah it is

• Machinae Prime
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2007, 12:27:30 am »
If that doesn't happen, then it seems like much of our ability to express ourselves will disappear. AIM-speak is not accommodating to poetry.

this is another one of those things that every generation has claimed. it just doesn't happen... there is no slippery slope, because everyone is forced to maintain a common vocabulary if they wish to communicate. it won't stop them from developing specialized vocabularies, but we all do that anyway; speaking differently to parents than to friends, writing completely differently in an essay than how we speak, etc.

dialects are already unintelligible... there's a famous linguistics saying: "A language is a dialect with an army and a navy." I believe Germans can tell you of certain "dialects" which aren't understandable to a Standard speaker. The chinese certainly can. And stick a cajun Louisianian in a room with a Scotsman, and all sorts of problems would arise.

Offline harvey danger

• Machinae Prime
  • Werd
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2007, 01:00:00 am »
If that doesn't happen, then it seems like much of our ability to express ourselves will disappear. AIM-speak is not accommodating to poetry.

this is another one of those things that every generation has claimed. it just doesn't happen... there is no slippery slope, because everyone is forced to maintain a common vocabulary if they wish to communicate. it won't stop them from developing specialized vocabularies, but we all do that anyway; speaking differently to parents than to friends, writing completely differently in an essay than how we speak, etc.

You're saying that English hasn't changed since the 1400s? The vocabulary of then and now, compared, almost look like two different languages... most people can't even understand Shakespeare without some kind of translation. I understand that in 50 years much won't have changed. But in 500, it will have, and a future of adults typing (or even talking) liEK DiS is frightening, especially if it causes much of the art we have now to disappear simply because of disuse (think "Brave New World," but instead of Shakespeare being banned because of emotion, it has just disappeared because nobody finds it valuable any more).

• Machinae Prime
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2007, 01:22:12 am »
no, the point was that that stuff DOES happen, regardless of whether there's AIM or a bunch of people correcting spelling and grammar left and right. language is going to change at whatever pace it does, and so i don't think it's worth expending energy on a futile and arbitrary fight against it. We haven't lost our ability to communicate since the 1400s... we're just doing it differently, and the same will be able to be said 500 years from now (assuming we haven't killed off all humans).

Offline Irrationalist

« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2007, 06:48:36 am »
Wow, its really hard for me to say this but.... a back on topic is needed.....