Author Topic: Supreme Commander  (Read 10042 times)

Offline Pete

Supreme Commander
« on: February 19, 2007, 11:12:36 am »
 Remember Total Annihilation? It was superb, and I'm hoping that Supreme Commander will live up to it. Anyone still play TA, or anyone getting SupCom? I'll be interested in online games on both, if anyone does (once I get in some practice of course).

Offline LordXaras

Re: Supreme Commander
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2007, 02:04:00 pm »
I should receive my copy of SupCom today or sometime the next few days.

Offline dialupdaemon

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2007, 04:20:23 pm »
I'm very critical of all new RTS and personally I don't think Supreme Commander looks to have much in the way of game play. Just looks like a giant pretty tech war.
What meaning has my life that the inevitability of death cannot destroy it?

Offline Fallout

• Machinae Prime
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2007, 06:45:34 pm »
2 copies of the Cybran pack should arrive tommorow. One for me and one for my brother. I downloaded it already but I bought it to play it online, and I can tell you; it is amazing. Cant wait to start playing online :)

The Theater of War really makes a big difference in gameplay. After a 3 hour long game I tabbed out to irc, and I kept wanting to zoom in on the text so I could read it better :D

Offline WereVolvo

• IRC Love Butter supplier
  • Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
  • Volvot ulvoo kuun savuun!
    • My personal site
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2007, 10:38:48 pm »
Just bought it off an online store. Can't wait to get it :D
<@Torp> I have seen your melted pussy!

Real Dwarfs wall themselves in once they are underground, and survive through incest and cat farming.

Offline evilcandybag

• of Fire
  • Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
  • Armoured Tanks of Mass Destruction
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2007, 10:58:15 pm »
I'm very critical of all new RTS and personally I don't think Supreme Commander looks to have much in the way of game play. Just looks like a giant pretty tech war.

I can tell you it's not. It's the most strategically advanced RTS I've ever played. And you don't notice the prettiness, since you play most of the time zoomed out to the max.
"Actually, wooden stakes are for vampires. Wooden steaks are for vegetarians."

Offline dialupdaemon

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2007, 01:47:07 am »
So you spend all your time commanding little dots around the world or how does that work?

Bottom line is I've spent so much time on StarCraft that I'll probably never enjoy an RTS that doesn't have similar micro/macro/timing/strategy elements.

Offline Fallout

• Machinae Prime
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2007, 01:49:01 am »

clicky

9 new custom maps already released. <3 TA's modding community :)

www.supcomsource.net
« Last Edit: February 20, 2007, 01:51:00 am by fallout­ »

Offline Torp v2.0

• Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
  • Happiness is Mandatory!
    • My homepage
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2007, 02:39:55 am »
Of course I remember TA. Of course I know of Supreme Commander. ;D

I've played the demo, and I've aquired a copy of the full game, planning to have a game with my brother while home this weekend. Never got to play a game against him, but I have decided that it's a game worth getting. Not that I hadn't decided that before I got the demo. This is a game I've been waiting for for ages.

I still play a bit of TA, once in a while, though I have my suspicions that after summer, that will be history.

Why after summer? Because the computer I have now has a hard time handling SupCom. I'm able to play it, at lowest graphics settings, and that really surprises me. But so far I've only played the demo and 3 Aeon missions. When trying to command several hundred units, I've found that pausing the game really helps, to put it that way. And several hundred will be small local forces in the larger maps, I suspect.

I did reach the unit limit in the small skirmish map in the demo, however, and zoomed out, my computer was able to handle it. Zoomed in, it had not a snowballs chance in hell.

For the record, my computer is a 1,6GHz centrino, with 1 gig of RAM and an ATI Radeon Mobile 9700 graphics card. This is actually barely above the minimum requirements. Well, it's 1,8GHz, but it's a Pentium M, which means it is effectively about 1,4 times its actual clock speed, if I remember correctly.

I have one complaint: The airplane AI is a bit on the bad side. My planes follow enemies too far, and sometimes try to attack the enemy base when on a patrol well outside it, because of enemy units drawing them closer and closer to the base or something. I would not be surprised if this is the case with ground units as well, but it's not as big a problem there.
...why Torp was picked over you... HE'S JUST BETTER THAN YOU IN EVERY RESPECT. -SomethingGood
<Radicz0r> Torp is well prepared for universal destruction

[03:18:49] <WereVolvo> ARCTIC
[03:18:51] <WereVolvo> not arctic

Offline Einkoro

• Machinae Prime
  • ~tima
    • http://www.janpingel.com/
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2007, 05:17:50 am »
Loved TA, loved Supreme Commander during the beta and awaiting my preorder to arrive.
"Don't believe anyone when they tell you irony is just a literary convention. It's a universal constant, like the coefficient of gravity." - Alfred Bester

Offline Torp v2.0

• Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
  • Happiness is Mandatory!
    • My homepage
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2007, 08:22:47 pm »
Ankle's a gamer after my own heart.
...why Torp was picked over you... HE'S JUST BETTER THAN YOU IN EVERY RESPECT. -SomethingGood
<Radicz0r> Torp is well prepared for universal destruction

[03:18:49] <WereVolvo> ARCTIC
[03:18:51] <WereVolvo> not arctic

Offline Fallout

• Machinae Prime
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2007, 08:31:48 pm »
Ankle's a gamer after my own heart.

What he said.

Offline Pete

« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2007, 01:08:06 am »
So you spend all your time commanding little dots around the world or how does that work?

Bottom line is I've spent so much time on StarCraft that I'll probably never enjoy an RTS that doesn't have similar micro/macro/timing/strategy elements.

Oh come now, there have been plenty of good RTSs recently, don't stay in the past fool!

Oh, and I just bought SupCom today, so now I'm happy. Have only got on the computer just now though :(

Offline dialupdaemon

« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2007, 03:01:23 am »
Good is such a relative thing.

Feel free to name me some good recent RTSs and I'll feel free to call you a liar!

Offline Jack Lupino

• Worst Dude
  • Machinae Prime
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2007, 03:35:09 am »
yoiu still here ?