Author Topic: Help?  (Read 6046 times)

Offline evilcandybag

• of Fire
  • Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
  • Armoured Tanks of Mass Destruction
Re: Help?
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2007, 05:32:38 pm »
I have downloaded a Windows ISO file, wich burned on a cd, its a stripped windows installation, so without all the custom shit you don't need.

Helps a lot, i really recommend it.

:)

I have bad experiences with stripped Windows vesions. They tend to be a little too stripped for my needs (many have ditched WMP for better players, but WMP is one of the few players out there that can play hi-res material without lag).
"Actually, wooden stakes are for vampires. Wooden steaks are for vegetarians."

Offline cloudstrifex

« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2007, 10:40:06 pm »
I have downloaded a Windows ISO file, wich burned on a cd, its a stripped windows installation, so without all the custom shit you don't need.

I have bad experiences with stripped Windows vesions. They tend to be a little too stripped for my needs (many have ditched WMP for better players, but WMP is one of the few players out there that can play hi-res material without lag).

You can easily download WMP off the Microsoft site for free you know...

Offline Jack Lupino

• Worst Dude
  • Machinae Prime
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2007, 03:48:08 am »

+1, just about to say that.
Also, paint and all the programs YOU need, doens't mean someone else needs it.

Welcome to www.download.com

Offline cloudstrifex

« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2007, 08:31:13 pm »
Ah dl.com is ok but to warn anyone who goes there, the server is mad slow. I have 300kb/sec dl speeds and it usually goes maybe 20 or 30.

Offline Einkoro

• Machinae Prime
  • ~tima
    • http://www.janpingel.com/
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2007, 04:18:48 am »

But it won't install if you stripped WMP from your XP install. It just complains that the required technology is missing and dies.

As for playing without lag, you just need better codecs. The latest nightly of ffdshow-tryout dropped my CPU usage in h264 encoded 720p video from ~50% to ~25% vs the older ffdshow that everyone seems to use from years ago because they have no idea the project died and then was forked. That plus a decent player like MPC is all anyone needs on Windows.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/ffdshow-tryout/
http://sourceforge.net/projects/guliverkli/
"Don't believe anyone when they tell you irony is just a literary convention. It's a universal constant, like the coefficient of gravity." - Alfred Bester