Author Topic: Help?  (Read 6650 times)

Offline cloudstrifex

Help?
« on: February 13, 2007, 10:44:40 pm »
I am seeing this message when I go into my files in Documents and Settings. Does anyone know what this means? I can deal with it but it's rather annoying.

Offline Jack Lupino

• Worst Dude
  • Machinae Prime
Re: Help?
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2007, 01:46:06 am »
Lol, so they basically say something along the lines of :

Hello there.
It seems you have a problem.
We want to fix this problem but if we do we can look at your personal files.
We will not exploit this.
If you click on close, nothing will happen.

Offline cloudstrifex

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2007, 02:02:27 am »
No no look up where it says szAppName and you will see the names of applications in Windows regulation files, like when you type in regedit in run. Does anyone know how to edit the files to fix this?

Offline evilcandybag

• of Fire
  • Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
  • Armoured Tanks of Mass Destruction
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2007, 10:05:40 pm »
Hmm, I think that's the computer's way of saying "Gief fresh Windows install, plix!"
"Actually, wooden stakes are for vampires. Wooden steaks are for vegetarians."

Offline cloudstrifex

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2007, 11:52:42 pm »
Hmm, I think that's the computer's way of saying "Gief fresh Windows install, plix!"

I don't have the disc; Windows came installed on it when I got it, which was like a week ago. I messed with the files a little to make it turn off faster but it shouldn't have had anything to do with this.

Offline Irrationalist

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2007, 11:10:42 am »

I don't have the disc; Windows came installed on it when I got it, which was like a week ago. I messed with the files a little to make it turn off faster but it shouldn't have had anything to do with this.

Hmm... I've done tinkering of that sort forever, and have fucked myslef more thean once doing it too. If I remote desktoped with you (or was at your computer), I am almost certain I could fix it.

Lysix

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2007, 01:37:55 pm »

Windows is like a crappy game of jenga. Move ONE wrong piece and it all comes tumbling down.
Still, a new PC without a windows disc? Damn. ):

Offline Torp v2.0

• Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
  • Happiness is Mandatory!
    • My homepage
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2007, 03:31:24 pm »
Yeah, that's actually not that uncommon. Preinstalled windows without a disc. Very stupid, and so are anyone who does not make sure that there is actually a disk with the PC bought.
...why Torp was picked over you... HE'S JUST BETTER THAN YOU IN EVERY RESPECT. -SomethingGood
<Radicz0r> Torp is well prepared for universal destruction

[03:18:49] <WereVolvo> ARCTIC
[03:18:51] <WereVolvo> not arctic

Offline cloudstrifex

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2007, 07:30:17 pm »
Yeah, that's actually not that uncommon. Preinstalled windows without a disc. Very stupid, and so are anyone who does not make sure that there is actually a disk with the PC bought.

Actually, I knew there was no disc with it and I'm not stupid for buying it because I could easily get XP from my dad (this has media center) or I could torrent it no problem. Sorry I don't like paying extra for a worthless disc I could easily aquire anyway. :)

Oh and thanks for the offer Loki, but the problem seems to have fixed itself. Now, instead of freezing up, it works fine except when I click on My Documents from Documents and Settings, then there is just a tiny little lag. Weird it only happens in that one folder, too. If I go to My Documents from my Desktop it doesn't lag at all.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2007, 07:32:17 pm by cloudstrifex »

Lysix

« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2007, 07:41:03 pm »

Actually, I knew there was no disc with it and I'm not stupid for buying it because I could easily get XP from my dad (this has media center) or I could torrent it no problem. Sorry I don't like paying extra for a worthless disc I could easily aquire anyway. :)

Oh my, paying £5 for a legit copy of whats on your computer. Goddamn you would've been so shortchanged.
Either way, reformatting may be a useful thing for you to do. So get torrenting, you illegal eagle, you.

Offline cloudstrifex

« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2007, 10:48:46 pm »

Oh my, paying £5 for a legit copy of whats on your computer. Goddamn you would've been so shortchanged.
Either way, reformatting may be a useful thing for you to do. So get torrenting, you illegal eagle, you.

Find me a place to get Windows XP for 10 dollars?

Lysix

« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2007, 11:41:37 pm »

Most dealers that sell computers offer the disc free, or with a £5 charge.
But like you said, you can torrent it. So gogo!

Offline Jack Lupino

• Worst Dude
  • Machinae Prime
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2007, 11:53:50 pm »
I have downloaded a Windows ISO file, wich burned on a cd, its a stripped windows installation, so without all the custom shit you don't need.

Helps a lot, i really recommend it.

:)

Offline cloudstrifex

« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2007, 01:44:27 am »

Most dealers that sell computers offer the disc free, or with a £5 charge.
But like you said, you can torrent it. So gogo!

None of the PCs at geeks come with the disc, just preinstalled. And there's no point in torrenting because it's brand new, and there aren't any problems with the PC, with that one fixing itself.

Offline Irrationalist

« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2007, 08:48:29 am »
That is rather bizzare. Each install of windows has a mind of its own.