Author Topic: What shows are you watching?  (Read 56044 times)

Offline SomethingApt

• Machinae Prime
  • [this space for rent]
What shows are you watching?
« on: February 02, 2007, 08:37:32 pm »
I've got quite a few shows on the go at the moment...

Battlestar Galactica (season 3) - In my opinion, easily the best thing on tv at the moment. Any sci-fi nerd should watch it. Heck, even people not usually into sci-fi should like it.

24 (season 6) - 24 has definitely gone downhill after the first couple of seasons... but it's still full of action. The plot is pretty pathetic though, and some of the acting just makes you want to cry. Kiefer is teh secks though.

Veronica Mars (season 3) - Probably the worst premise for a show EVER (high school student who solves crimes in her spare time), but well acted and with a solid story that actually progresses, each episode adds to the plot, there's very little filler.

Studio 60 (season 1) - Well written, well acted, quite funny.

Heroes (season 1) - Very enjoyable, but definitely overrated by some people. It's quite clear that the show wants to be much more epic than it actually is, unfortunately it just isn't written well enough, and ends up falling short in places. It's fairly easy to predict, but enjoyable nonetheless.

Prison Break (season 2) - Excellent show. Well acted, good plot, lots of action.

Scrubs (season 6) - I was obsessed with the first couple of seasons of scrubs, but it's gone on too long now, and it's losing it's charm. Very funny in places, but unfortunately it fires a lot of blanks.

I Am Not An Animal - A short (6 episodes) animated series featuring the vocal talents of Simon Pegg (Spaced, Shaun of the Dead) and Steve Coogan (I'm Alan Partridge). It's about a group of animals who underwent scientific experiments giving them the power of speech. Superbly acted, and very very funny.

EDIT: added a few which i'd forgotten...

« Last Edit: February 02, 2007, 08:47:04 pm by SomethingApt »

Offline ch3t

• Myspace
Re: What shows are you watching?
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2007, 09:13:29 pm »
I remember I Am Not An Animal, it was great.
Recently i've been watching The Mighty Boosh (which I am an obsessive fan of) and Peep Show.

Offline SomethingApt

• Machinae Prime
  • [this space for rent]
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2007, 09:57:40 pm »
I remember I Am Not An Animal, it was great.
Recently i've been watching The Mighty Boosh (which I am an obsessive fan of) and Peep Show.

Peep Show is quite possibly the funniest thing ever.
* SomethingApt hugs his Peep Show boxset

Offline NaziMoomin

• Dont Come F***in With Me
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2007, 10:03:28 pm »
Gee, I hope Heroes will come to my country soon!
I'm watching/have watched:
The O.C.
Everwood
House (very irreguraly)
Idols
Friends
3rd Rock From The Sun (very funny, airs on Sub after Friends)

Well, that's about it, + bunch of other crap I just happen to see when I turn on  the telemundo =P

Offline Xhu

• Gentlemen... it's a nuclear device.
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2007, 11:43:50 pm »
Battlestar Galactica, comedy show repeats, and soon to be Death Note.
(i) There will come a day when nothing you did matters. But it is not today. Here and now, you are alive.
(ii) Live well under your own authority.
(iii) Abolishing suffering is impossible. Lessening suffering is mandatory.

Offline Gravehill

• Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
  • Dignity! Strength! Love!
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2007, 11:47:18 pm »
Favourite shows at the moment :

Prison Break : First season watched, now awaiting second season.

Lost : Watched first season. I would have wanted to watch second as well (which is aired now on finnish tv) but my digibox did not want to record some episodes of it (everyone : avoid Handan, it's the crappy box). Now I'm waiting to DVD-box prices to come down...

My Name Is Earl : Funny as hell. Story about guy who wants to be a better person. Last episode was first that was not top quality, gave good laughs anyways. Highly recommend.

Supernatural : Story about two brothers who chase supernatural phenomenons, ghosts and demons and stuff. Good balance of relaxed atmosphere, humour, action and mild horror, IMO.

Stark Raving Mad : Rerun on finnish tv. Comedy about author. As far as I know only one season was ever made. On the other hand it's good thing since every episode made was pure gold. I liked it lot, have watched some of these on second run also.

I'm currently watching with irregular rhythm World At War for second time from DVD. Nice documentary series about World At War. Other documentary series I'm watching is Sin Cities which came from YLE TEEMA (finnish digital channel). It's three part series about Paris, Berlin and Shanghai from time before WW2.
Random ramblings and furious feminine novels per versatility.

Offline Pete

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2007, 12:46:18 am »
I would be watching Lost, but Sky1 stole it, and I don't have Sky1. Bastards.

Also, I'd love to watch BattleStar Galactice too. I hear it's good...and has some...good characters...>_> <_<

Offline Sirix

• Self proclaimed forum Villain
  • Community Supporter
  • Machinae Prime
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2007, 01:25:59 am »
shows i'm watching, or have watched and absolutely love.

first off, many HBO series.

Six Feet Under - dark and funny, but not chiefly based around humour.  I've only seen season 1, but am intensely impressed with the character development.  VERY character driven show, the plot doesn't really exist.

Rome - absolutely FANTASTIC.  Fairly accurate historicaly, perfectly casted and an intense, sometimes shocking, plot.  it's just starting its second season.  Highly highly recommend.

Sex and the City - now, as gay as that sounds, it's a wonderfuly clever show.  The episodes with Mr. Bigg in it are overall -annoying-, but that's still only a fraction of them.  The wit in the show is very dead on.

Elizabeth I - miniseries that originated in England, but that HBO presented because they thought it was incredible.  The 2 part miniseries (more like a 4 hour movie, in 2 parts), rides almost entirely on Helen Mirren's acting.  It's award winning and absolutely captivating.

now, Anime.

Full Metal Alchemist - Easily my favourite anime.  It starts off a little slow with the flash-back episodes, but they're important for the character development.  By episode 20 you're aching to watch the next episode all the time.  The plot is clever and twisted and, from what I can tell, the story is mildly based off Mary Shelley's Frankenstein.  The acting is almost heart-wrenching at times.  When Ed gives out cries of pain or terror you almost feel afraid for him because of its power.  The series along with the Movie, one of my favourite movies, and then the short OVA, is one of the most captivating shows that really attachs you to its characters that i've ever seen

Samurai Champloo - very silly show with awesome action scenes.  You really onyl have to watch the first episode, one in the middle, and the last if you want the plot.  The show is basically all filler... but VERY entertaining filler.  Some of my favourite action scenes in an anime, and very well done humour in between the fights.

FLCL (furi kuri) - VERY odd anime.  Anything you might think FLCL is, you're wrong.  It's only 6 episodes, so it's worth watching, definetly.  It's strangeness is incredibly charming.

i'm currently beginning to watch Naruto, Death Note and Samurai 7.
i'll update if I think of more later.

The O.C.

hate that show so much.
the only thing I like about it are its VERY VERY good soundtracks.
I was genuinely happy when it got canceled.  The last season is airing now.
*glee*
« Last Edit: February 03, 2007, 01:29:40 am by Sirix »

Lysix

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2007, 01:41:16 am »
Sex and the city and Six Feet Under are the only good shows worth watching.

Offline harvey danger

• Machinae Prime
  • Werd
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2007, 01:56:49 am »
Sex and the city and Six Feet Under are the only good shows worth watching.

So the rest are good, but not worth watching?

I haven't been watching TV very regularly, lately. When I'm around, though, I watch these:

Dirty Jobs on Discovery Channel, random stuff on the Food Network (I like to cook, so sue me), Aqua Teen Hunger Force, Family Guy, -old- Scrubs episodes, and every once in a while I watch "I Love New York" on VH1. << It's fun to watch guys make asses of themselves.
That's the problem with heroes, really. Their only purpose in life is to thwart others. They make no plans, develop no strategies. They react instead of act. Without villains, heroes would stagnate. Without heroes, villains would be running the world. Heroes have morals. Villains have work ethic.

Lysix

« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2007, 02:07:28 am »
So the rest are good, but not worth watching?

No.

Offline Cerapter

• 100% Recycled
    • Home
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2007, 02:21:54 am »
X-Files (season 1).

That's it, really.
Just close your eyes and keep your mind wide open.

Offline Jack Lupino

• Worst Dude
  • Machinae Prime
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2007, 03:08:36 am »
Bleach, Death Note, Reboot (yay!), South Park, Road Rally (2 bands on the road in a van and see wich one get the most famous and furthest or something, its awesome), I was watching the real world at some point because i was bored and basically just turned mtv on at 5 pm standardly, so yeah ;P im not wathing it anymore lol, rewatching some friends eps and that's about it.

Oh and the dudesons.

Offline SomethingApt

• Machinae Prime
  • [this space for rent]
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2007, 03:56:40 am »
FLCL (furi kuri) - VERY odd anime.  Anything you might think FLCL is, you're wrong.  It's only 6 episodes, so it's worth watching, definetly.  It's strangeness is incredibly charming.

ahhhhh Furi Kuri is absolutely AWESOME. one of my favorite animes. definitely worth checking out.

Offline Irrationalist

« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2007, 04:13:49 am »
I LOVE battlestar galactica. I also watch House.