Poll

Do you think [###] is a lot of money? Choose the option where money starts to become a "lot" of money to you, in my case it would be £50.

£50
12 (37.5%)
£100
10 (31.3%)
£250
4 (12.5%)
£500
1 (3.1%)
£1000
1 (3.1%)
£1000+ (im a rich bastard)
1 (3.1%)
ITS OVER £9000
3 (9.4%)

Total Members Voted: 32

Author Topic: Your perspectives on money  (Read 7735 times)

Offline Fallout

• Machinae Prime
Your perspectives on money
« on: January 21, 2007, 06:58:27 pm »
Also, post your job status and how you would class your lifestyle - poor, just barely surviving, decent, rich etc. (and what you voted for in the poll)

I was earning £720 a month in my last job, and had quite a decent lifestyle. My parents struggle for money, and I had to pay £200 of my monthly earnings to them to survive. Since I'm unemployed, I keep a tight hold on my money and regret spending any of it. The monthly payday is coming up, and my mother expects £200 off me out of my account even though I'm not getting any income. I'm not having any of it and I refuse to pay that.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2007, 07:04:32 pm by Fallout »

Offline Pete

Re: Your perspectives on money
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2007, 07:12:49 pm »
I don't actually have an income of my own, so it's not really my place to say what's a lot of money. Though I can easily spend £50 if I wish...I collect Warhammer for christs sake. That's horrendously expensive.

My idea of lots of money wholly depends on what I'm buying tbh. I utterly hate paying lots of money for clothes (unless it's something that I really like...) but I'll gladly pay a lot of cash for something like a new game, mp3 player, pc update thingy...

I also view money as EVIL and think that it shouldn't be allowed to be factored into deciding on issues such as GLOBAL WARMING and FAMINE and DISEASE CONTROL....'We can't cure people, because it's too expensive :D :D :D :D!'

Stupid economics.

Offline Crazywater

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2007, 07:16:17 pm »
Damn. I just looked at 100 and thought "That's a lot."

Then I realized that we're talking about pounds...
We're open to such things, we've even talked many times about doing it with Inja, but in a way that's redundant because we can already get Erica
:o brown chicken brown cow :o

Lysix

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2007, 07:19:55 pm »
Currently working in a bar/restaurant. My uncle owns three major places in eastbourne so it wasn't entirely hard to get a job (lolfamilypower). I earn £32 a week for working the weekend (£16 a day). Since i've had the job i've been able to buy basicly everything i've wanted: parents realise i'm earning and allow me to borrow larger amounts to get stuff quicker, as they know they'll get it back.
I'd say financially,things are pretty decent. My parents are both employed and are in moderate paying jobs. I've never gone without. When i have, it was because i was being taught how to spend money and to value it.
I voted £500 as alot, btw. But it depends on what it was i guess.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2007, 07:21:57 pm by Alixâ„¢ »

Offline Cerapter

• 100% Recycled
    • Home
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2007, 07:20:33 pm »
I think £100 is a lot, but I'd be quite protective about £25, too.
Just close your eyes and keep your mind wide open.

Offline CrunchyLizard

• Machinae Prime
  • Stays crunchy ...even in milk!
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2007, 07:49:09 pm »
I don't have a job, and I'm perfectly fine with that. I've always had the money I needed and if I haven't, then I've just waited until I got it from somewhere (parents, grandparents etc.).

Even though I don't earn money I have plenty at the moment and could basically buy anything I want at anytime I want but I always try to save even the smallest bit of money at any time possible, so I'll vote £25.

Offline Fallout

• Machinae Prime
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2007, 07:56:30 pm »
Currently working in a bar/restaurant. My uncle owns three major places in eastbourne so it wasn't entirely hard to get a job (lolfamilypower). I earn £32 a week for working the weekend (£16 a day). Since i've had the job i've been able to buy basicly everything i've wanted: parents realise i'm earning and allow me to borrow larger amounts to get stuff quicker, as they know they'll get it back.
I'd say financially,things are pretty decent. My parents are both employed and are in moderate paying jobs. I've never gone without. When i have, it was because i was being taught how to spend money and to value it.
I voted £500 as alot, btw. But it depends on what it was i guess.

Rich bitch ;)

Offline L'homme magique

• Machinae Prime
  • Stay Calm
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2007, 08:41:35 pm »
I'm sixteen, live with my parents. My dad works for the government and gets a very decent income; we're upper-middle class. You know, nice house, shafted by taxes, not all that much stuff because we're still paying off the house, but compared to other people we're spoiled rotten... etc.

I don't worry about money. There's not all that much that I want, maybe a $50 game every four months or something. I'm confident enough in my intelligence (and performance on standardized tests, which is what matters) that I'll have at least part of college paid for me, and for the rest I can take out student loans, which can be paid back, et cetera.

During the summer I did have a part time job, didn't get paid much at all, as it was rather under the table, but I saved what I got because it's a pain in the ass to make money (all of that went towards my new computer).

Oh, and what's "a lot" is relative. I'd say $1000 is a whole lot, but not if I was buying a car.
"It's like growing up reading good books or listening to good music. One good sofa breeds another good sofa; one bad sofa breeds another bad sofa. That's how it goes."

Offline Xhu

• Gentlemen... it's a nuclear device.
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2007, 08:44:10 pm »
£20 a week for no real job, but also no real expenses. Covers buying lunch, birthday presents, and things like that. But even £25 means no food between 1am and 6pm for a week, so I chose that.
(i) There will come a day when nothing you did matters. But it is not today. Here and now, you are alive.
(ii) Live well under your own authority.
(iii) Abolishing suffering is impossible. Lessening suffering is mandatory.

Offline Narquelie

• wish me monsters.
    • livejournal (in finnish only, sorry)
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2007, 08:46:51 pm »
Difficult question. It's like, I just paid almost 40 € (~26 £) for a new book (I'm a book-addict), but I think that's the biggest amount I'd spend on a regular shirt or pants.

But, I found an answer like this: If I loan money to someone, I don't even bother to ask it back if it's 3-4 £. If it's 6-7 £, I won't want it back unless I have a shitty financial situation myself, or the person is not a very close friend. 13 £ and up, I'll want it back at some point. But I answered 50 £, since that's the amount I'll want back no matter what.

I consider that I have enough money for my basic living (I get about 490 £ per month, minus my rent, which leaves me ~330 £), but I really cannot afford to buy anything really big, like furniture, expensive electronics (tv, dvd-player, computer), clothes from anywhere but H&M, and so on. But at least I'm living better than in my student days (students get less money than the unemployed in Finland), and I can afford my necessities, like food, books, gigs and cd's. :)

But it really shows that when you get more money, you spend more money. I don't understand how I could manage with about 100 £ per month when I was a student. Because it feels that I lived basically the same way as I do now.

But, I bet when I get a real, well-paying job (and well-paying for me would be like 1000 £/month), I'll just buy books and beer and whine about not being able to buy a new sofa or something. :D
Maire-san no Datsun wa kaji de yakemashita.

Offline Ant

• Donated so refic can buy beer
  • Community Supporter
  • Machinae Prime
  • It's personal text.
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2007, 09:03:12 pm »
With my dad being made redundant 3 times in the past 2 years my family has never really had money in so long (when redundant you lose your pension plan so don't get any cash either)

i'm the only one with more than a grand in my family i just feel like running away
But if one day we meet together while I'm drunk, I promise you to draw a big group sex picture including a lot of forumites. :D

Ich bin ein Berliner, Frankfurter, Hamburger und Bonner

Offline Outboundlight

• Renegade Anarchist Folk Hero
  • Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
  • Rogue World Asylum Seeker
    • No Art Films
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2007, 09:06:58 pm »

I answered £100 because if there's something I really really want, and it's in and around £100 i'll have to seriously consider it and probably wait till my next pay check to buy it.

I tend to spend my money willy nilly though, I'm not very responsible.

Offline Kobi

« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2007, 09:19:37 pm »
I have no idea how much even £1 is. So its a little hard to answer that. But at an average the €, $ and £ is multiplyable by ten to the swedish Krona so I chosed 250£.

On a monthly basis I hardly have any expenses. No more then that some of my earnings go to savings accounts and paying of my student loand. I'm employed at a plastic pipe industry since six months back and all that I earn there I get to save, wich is about 1150£ a month. all of it but the expenses I just menioned. I'm 21 but live in my parents place, huge house so I get one floor alone. On spare time I work on several game or 3D related projects and I hope to make a career in that in the future, wich is why I stay at my parents place. There is no point in beeing eager to move out for a job like my current and in a town I really wanna leave. Parents are both empleyed and have an own company by the side so we are not in dire need of money. I can't remember that we've ever been in money problems. I'm quite broke at the moment though since we had to pay for car repairs lately but that fixes itself now that I get to keep my whole salury for six months :)

Offline Jack Lupino

• Worst Dude
  • Machinae Prime
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2007, 09:20:20 pm »
We have euros, 250 euros would be kinda much, so i pressed 250.

Offline SpeedD

• Machinae Prime
  • Canada, BITCH!
    • Egg!
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2007, 09:37:24 pm »
As I've said: "And £1 is a lot of money. Choose how you spend each wisely; they're harder to gain back than they are to spend."
"What I felt was turned, in the tempest forged to hate. My soul I disconnected, and called out the Lightbringer to the gate."