Author Topic: Money  (Read 3538 times)

Offline Fallout

• Machinae Prime
Money
« on: January 21, 2007, 07:47:19 am »
So, I was talking to this girl about how my idiot friend bought his girlfriend shoes instead of coming to a Nine Inch Nails gig, and tells me to buy his tickets for him, as well as mine. I know for a fact that he'll never pay me back. So, these tickets are £25 a pop, and that would mean I'd be spending £50 for one night out.

I dismiss this stupid idea, and she says to me
"what? £50 is nothing!"

OK, this girl is 16, gets free money off her parents to buy pretty much whatever she wants, and she has the cheek to tell me £50 is nothing. In my perspective, from my previous job on around £720 per month, £50 is actually quite a lot of money to me.

Alright.
a)Am I wrong to refuse to pay £25 for my friend to come out for a night to an awesome gig?
b)Am I wrong to say £50 is a lot of money?
c)Am I too uptight with my money?

Keep in mind I'm currently unemployed, and on £15 per week 'bridging allowance'.

Oh, also:
d)Is £50 a lot of money to you?

EDIT: use google to convert money into your currency. google search "£50 in dollars" etc.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2007, 07:50:36 am by Fallout »

Offline PrescriptiveBarony

• Machinae Prime
  • Let there be blacklight.
Re: Money
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2007, 08:17:32 am »
a) not wrong, if you don't want to. it's your fuckin money.

b) no.... it's your belief, silly. it can't be wrong. and see d).

c) i doubt it. kids these days aren't nearly uptight enough.

d) FUCK YES

Quote from: Drakonis
Everybody should just <3.

Offline Irrationalist

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2007, 08:24:12 am »
I understand your pain.

A) Unless he's done you major favors, hell no, its totally okay.

B) Naw, 1£ is two dollars right? Then I would say defintly not, $100 is alot to me.

C)Most certaintly not, since your unemployed.

D) Ya, that much money would be astronomical to me right now.

Offline Valentine Revolution

• Twitter
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2007, 10:25:50 am »
Its how I know I'm grown-up now; when I was a teenager £50 was "woo new game!" now its "2 weeks food shopping" or "credit card bill" or "iMac payment". So yeah, its a lot of money.

Lysix

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2007, 12:29:44 pm »
Despite the fact i only earn £120 a month, i'd say £50 isn't all that much. But i wouldn't buy him his ticket. It's £25 i could use for something useful. You were right to refuse tbh, if he wants to go to an amazing gig he can pay for it himself.

Offline CrunchyLizard

• Machinae Prime
  • Stays crunchy ...even in milk!
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2007, 12:45:35 pm »
A) If you don't want to spend twice the amount of money that you would normally then it is completely alright to refuse to pay those extra £25 just so he can get there with you.

B) Nope, you are not wrong in that. Maybe that girl doesn't think £50 is a lot of money because she gets a bunch of money from her parents, but if you don't then £50 might very well be a lot of money for you.

C) Hell no. Maybe because I'm even more uptight with my money...

D) £50 is a lot of money to me as well. I only spend money of that size on special stuff (like 4 x £50 on a Wii...) which I'm completely sure that I want. All other stuff is like "aw crap, that's too expensive for me".

Offline gaijin

• Hiding behind the couch
  • Community Supporter
  • "You sound like the Morning Star"
    • Motljus
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2007, 02:19:29 pm »
If £50 is nothing, as she says, have that rich spoilt bitch pay the tickets, then.
Oi, is this when I get a huge sig-image, start whining about "moar sid" and make nonsensical arguments to no good?

Offline Gravehill

• Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
  • Dignity! Strength! Love!
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2007, 02:23:54 pm »
a) No you are not wrong. It's your money. Unless you want to enjoy your friends company in which case you would spend some of that money for your own pleasure (company) as well. None can expect others to give money as free gift, not even that "nicest guy".

b) To my current financial status 50£ is lots of money. So I would say that we share same reality :D That girl lives in another reality thou. The one where it rains money from sky. So when you are talking about your money you are talking about your reality, making your stand right one. When she is talking about her money (or reality) she is right. But when she is talking about your money she is wrong and clearly does not understand your situation. She is measuring you to his own standards which will never lead to anything good.

If that's so small sum of money to her maybe she will give that sum to your friend? To her it's nothing so it should be perfectly OK.

c) No you are not. I think it's wise to live according to expenses and incomes. And it would never hurt to have some "emergency cash" if needed urgently to something.

d) Yes it is.
Random ramblings and furious feminine novels per versatility.

Offline Gravehill

• Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
  • Dignity! Strength! Love!
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2007, 02:24:51 pm »
If £50 is nothing, as she says, have that rich spoilt bitch pay the tickets, then.
"When gaijin answers even the lightning is slower than snail" - Old forum proverb.
Random ramblings and furious feminine novels per versatility.

Offline SpeedD

• Machinae Prime
  • Canada, BITCH!
    • Egg!
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2007, 02:34:40 pm »
Fallout, don't let your friends guilt you into shit that you don't want to do. It never seems to end well.

And £1 is a lot of money. Choose how you spend each wisely; they're harder to gain back than they are to spend.
"What I felt was turned, in the tempest forged to hate. My soul I disconnected, and called out the Lightbringer to the gate."

Offline Jack Lupino

• Worst Dude
  • Machinae Prime
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2007, 02:38:47 pm »
LOL fallout just kill em and bury them in a trench.

Then, loot them and buy yourself some shoes too !

Offline SpeedD

• Machinae Prime
  • Canada, BITCH!
    • Egg!
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2007, 02:40:33 pm »
Yeah, I like Rad's idea. Go with that.
"What I felt was turned, in the tempest forged to hate. My soul I disconnected, and called out the Lightbringer to the gate."

Offline Torp v2.0

• Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
  • Happiness is Mandatory!
    • My homepage
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2007, 05:00:20 pm »
a) No. I might have done it, or I might not have. It would depend on the friend, on my financial situation, and other factors. For example, Talhoffer has already done something similar for me, which means I'll be quite likely to do something like it for him. Tits for tats and all that.
b) No, you're not. Especially not when you're unemployed. I get about £450-500 a month, with a bit less than half after rent, net and power is paid, and I think £50 is a lot of money. Not so much that I can't use it for something I want (like, right now, I'm considering using £50-£100 on a sword, and I just spent £50 on a new harddisk), but not something I'll just casually use either.
c) I wouldn't say so. Depends on how good a friend your friend is, and how your relationship when it comes to monetary matters is.
d) See b.
...why Torp was picked over you... HE'S JUST BETTER THAN YOU IN EVERY RESPECT. -SomethingGood
<Radicz0r> Torp is well prepared for universal destruction

[03:18:49] <WereVolvo> ARCTIC
[03:18:51] <WereVolvo> not arctic

Offline cloudstrifex

« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2007, 06:34:33 pm »

Wow this is almost exactly what I was going to say! Listen to gaijin. :D

And also

A) No it's your fuckin money tell him to stop spending his money on his already spoiled bitch girlfriend.

B)Hell no I make about $250-$300 a month and that's a lot to me. 50 euros (or like $70 I think) would help me pay for my new computer a week sooner. So no you're not wrong for me it would be the difference of paying for someone's ticket or getting a new computer.

C)Hell no you worked for it so it's your money. I hate it when lazy people who have no jobs ask me for money. I worked for it, my money. :D

D)Yes it is I'd take $70(?) right now no problem. :P

Well that's my input. :)

Offline Fallout

• Machinae Prime
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2007, 06:53:37 pm »
cloud, that'd be £50, not euros. It'd be $100, not $70 :)

Thanks for all the input guys, I knew there was no way in hell I was paying for my friend, and no way was that spoilt bitch going to convince me. I guess I'm just curious about your perspectives on money, because interests me, and it can pinpoint if you're spoilt or just poor or whatever. I think I'll make a poll about it, watch this space.

Done.
http://forum.machinaesupremacy.com/index.php/topic,4538.0.html
« Last Edit: January 21, 2007, 07:04:03 pm by Fallout »