Author Topic: Evolution and Bible  (Read 35489 times)

Offline slippy0

• ┐('~`ï¼›)┌
Evolution and Bible
« Reply #30 on: January 18, 2007, 05:40:00 am »
why, oh why, did this thread turn into a religeon discussion? I didn't see any possible way our famous relatives could lead to this...

also, it is exponential, because logarithmic would mean their growth rate would decrease over time. Cells start multiplying faster because theirs more of them as time goes on (unless something else stunts their growth in some fashion) hence comes exponential growth.
See why Massachusetts rocks? We have Slippy <.<

Offline harvey danger

• Machinae Prime
  • Werd
Evolution and Bible
« Reply #31 on: January 18, 2007, 05:59:22 am »
why, oh why, did this thread turn into a religeon discussion? I didn't see any possible way our famous relatives could lead to this...

also, it is exponential, because logarithmic would mean their growth rate would decrease over time. Cells start multiplying faster because theirs more of them as time goes on (unless something else stunts their growth in some fashion) hence comes exponential growth.

Because anything related to origins has to be tied into religion by someone. <<

And all righty, then. Didnuh know logarithmic would be decreasing. So yeah, then someone figure out the exponential equation for bacteria increasing underwater.

But isn't the dB system logarithmic? And that increases (every three decibels is twice as loud). I need to know.  :(

Anyways.

My girlfriend is related to a senator. And she's related to the Emperor of Japan in a "Kevin Bacon game" kind of way. Her words: "Japanese guy had a restaurant my grandma worked at. They got to be friends, Japanese guy got to be called Uncle by my dad and his siblings. Uncle's brother was the emperor's physician." Which is neat.
That's the problem with heroes, really. Their only purpose in life is to thwart others. They make no plans, develop no strategies. They react instead of act. Without villains, heroes would stagnate. Without heroes, villains would be running the world. Heroes have morals. Villains have work ethic.

Smeagol

Evolution and Bible
« Reply #32 on: January 18, 2007, 11:37:52 am »

I'm related to Jesus. Suck it.

Offline Cerapter

• 100% Recycled
    • Home
Evolution and Bible
« Reply #33 on: January 18, 2007, 02:00:12 pm »
The comet doesn't cause, it just brings. Unless..

could be some chemical chain reaction or whatever. also, again the details were not really the point, the point was that it could have been some sudden global change that caused life (sudden with respect to the time-scale of lifeform spread), possibly leading to simultaneous evolution at multiple spots, or some local change/ event, in which case all life could descend from the same thing...

or something.

INFINITE EVOLUTION ON INFINITE SPOTS!!
Just close your eyes and keep your mind wide open.

Offline Ant

• Donated so refic can buy beer
  • Community Supporter
  • Machinae Prime
  • It's personal text.
Re: Evolution and Bible
« Reply #34 on: January 18, 2007, 02:34:52 pm »
Gravehill just split the topic like space and time
But if one day we meet together while I'm drunk, I promise you to draw a big group sex picture including a lot of forumites. :D

Ich bin ein Berliner, Frankfurter, Hamburger und Bonner

Lysix

« Reply #35 on: January 18, 2007, 05:23:39 pm »

That'd be cool on many levels.

IF he existed.

Offline Sirix

• Self proclaimed forum Villain
  • Community Supporter
  • Machinae Prime
« Reply #36 on: January 18, 2007, 06:03:58 pm »
I think he speaks of Adam and Eve

How likely is it that we all branched from the same single-celled organism, though? I find it hard to believe that there'd only be one in an entire ocean, if the conditions were right for that one to form and then multiply-evolve-multiply-evolve-etc. What's to say there weren't two, or three, or fifty million cells that all grew in the water at the same time but didn't come from the same single cell?

the probability is small... but the universe is a magnifcently massive place... if the probability is there at all, it'l happen somewhere... We are where it happened.

I highly encourage all of you to read this: http://images.ucomics.com/images/pdfs/sadams/godsdebris.pdf
It's a very compeling and interesting read... only 144 pages.
a lot of you just won't touch this... but try at least to read the first 2-3 chapters.. it won't take much time.

edit: don't skip over the introduction... it's good.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2007, 06:06:08 pm by Sirix »

Offline harvey danger

• Machinae Prime
  • Werd
« Reply #37 on: January 18, 2007, 06:34:38 pm »

IF he existed.

There are plenty of non-Christian documents from that era that claim Jesus existed.  :P Saying Jesus didn't exist is like saying Mohammad didn't exist. It's not whether he existed that should be questioned; it's whether or not he was a deity.
That's the problem with heroes, really. Their only purpose in life is to thwart others. They make no plans, develop no strategies. They react instead of act. Without villains, heroes would stagnate. Without heroes, villains would be running the world. Heroes have morals. Villains have work ethic.

Lysix

« Reply #38 on: January 18, 2007, 08:02:18 pm »
There are plenty of non-Christian documents from that era that claim Jesus existed.

"Claim" being the operative word. :)

Offline harvey danger

• Machinae Prime
  • Werd
« Reply #39 on: January 18, 2007, 08:03:05 pm »
I used the wrong word. -Report- Jesus existed.

Offline Ant

• Donated so refic can buy beer
  • Community Supporter
  • Machinae Prime
  • It's personal text.
« Reply #40 on: January 18, 2007, 08:05:01 pm »
CHINESE WHISPERS

anyone?
But if one day we meet together while I'm drunk, I promise you to draw a big group sex picture including a lot of forumites. :D

Ich bin ein Berliner, Frankfurter, Hamburger und Bonner

Lysix

« Reply #41 on: January 18, 2007, 08:11:23 pm »
I used the wrong word. -Report- Jesus existed.

Many have also reported to of seen UFOs.

Offline L'homme magique

• Machinae Prime
  • Stay Calm
« Reply #42 on: January 18, 2007, 08:15:38 pm »
"Claim" being the operative word.
Okay, so:

A) Siddhartha Gautama didn't exist because he became a religious figure.
B) Mohammed didn't exist because he became a religious figure.
C) Zoroaster didn't exist because he became a religious figure.
D) Because he is a religious figure, the pope does not exist.
"It's like growing up reading good books or listening to good music. One good sofa breeds another good sofa; one bad sofa breeds another bad sofa. That's how it goes."

Offline Irrationalist

« Reply #43 on: January 18, 2007, 08:18:57 pm »

IF he existed.

That postion is just as hard to uphold if not harder than if he did exist. Though I'm an Atheist, I do not Jesus's existance but rather say that his existance was that of a man, not the son of a omnipotent diety. He may not of existed, but it is better to say that what he did was false, rather than the person.

Lysix

« Reply #44 on: January 18, 2007, 08:22:29 pm »
"Claim" being the operative word.
Okay, so:

A) Siddhartha Gautama didn't exist because he became a religious figure.
B) Mohammed didn't exist because he became a religious figure.
C) Zoroaster didn't exist because he became a religious figure.
D) Because he is a religious figure, the pope does not exist.

If theres proof, solid proof, then i'll believe "jesus" existed. Then, show proof of the supposed miracles he performed. Chances are, this guy was a nobody who was nothing. Son of a virgin? Yeah, right.