Author Topic: Evolution and Bible  (Read 33814 times)

Offline Ant

• Donated so refic can buy beer
  • Community Supporter
  • Machinae Prime
  • It's personal text.
Evolution and Bible
« on: January 17, 2007, 02:55:36 pm »
I think he speaks of Adam and Eve
But if one day we meet together while I'm drunk, I promise you to draw a big group sex picture including a lot of forumites. :D

Ich bin ein Berliner, Frankfurter, Hamburger und Bonner

Offline Gravehill

• Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
  • Dignity! Strength! Love!
Evolution and Bible
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2007, 03:35:40 pm »
Damn, I did fumble that quote seriously. I was thinking something and wrote something completely different. That's what happens when you try to do something while you're mind is somewhere else... Wandering.

Anyways, my original thought was related to my spiral theory. There will be better and hopefully more specific and understandable version of it. I just have to write it. You'll see if you're ready to read through mountain of text. While that project is under way I would suggest watching these documents might be good idea. They are related to genealogy and ancestry. They were rather interesting and thought provoking IMO.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sn/tvradio/programmes/horizon/ghostgenes.shtml

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0373595/
Random ramblings and furious feminine novels per versatility.

Offline harvey danger

• Machinae Prime
  • Werd
Evolution and Bible
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2007, 08:03:31 pm »

How likely is it that we all branched from the same single-celled organism, though? I find it hard to believe that there'd only be one in an entire ocean, if the conditions were right for that one to form and then multiply-evolve-multiply-evolve-etc. What's to say there weren't two, or three, or fifty million cells that all grew in the water at the same time but didn't come from the same single cell?
That's the problem with heroes, really. Their only purpose in life is to thwart others. They make no plans, develop no strategies. They react instead of act. Without villains, heroes would stagnate. Without heroes, villains would be running the world. Heroes have morals. Villains have work ethic.

Offline Xhu

• Gentlemen... it's a nuclear device.
Evolution and Bible
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2007, 08:05:35 pm »
What's to say there weren't two, or three, or fifty million cells that all grew in the water at the same time but didn't come from the same single cell?

The Bible. =P
(i) There will come a day when nothing you did matters. But it is not today. Here and now, you are alive.
(ii) Live well under your own authority.
(iii) Abolishing suffering is impossible. Lessening suffering is mandatory.

Lysix

Evolution and Bible
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2007, 08:07:49 pm »
What's to say there weren't two, or three, or fifty million cells that all grew in the water at the same time but didn't come from the same single cell?

Everything starts from somewhere, right? Has to be one single thing?

Offline harvey danger

• Machinae Prime
  • Werd
Evolution and Bible
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2007, 08:16:52 pm »

Everything starts from somewhere, right? Has to be one single thing?

If you want to go back far enough, I suppose. "Big bang" and whatnot. But in terms of lifeforms? The earth was covered with a pretty vast ocean, and if the conditions were right for one cell to form from the primordial ooze, it seems like it'd be enough to form multitudes of cells at the same time.
That's the problem with heroes, really. Their only purpose in life is to thwart others. They make no plans, develop no strategies. They react instead of act. Without villains, heroes would stagnate. Without heroes, villains would be running the world. Heroes have morals. Villains have work ethic.

Lysix

Evolution and Bible
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2007, 08:38:20 pm »
If you want to go back far enough, I suppose. "Big bang" and whatnot. But in terms of lifeforms? The earth was covered with a pretty vast ocean, and if the conditions were right for one cell to form from the primordial ooze, it seems like it'd be enough to form multitudes of cells at the same time.

Unless we time machine is built i guess we'll never know. :)

Offline L'homme magique

• Machinae Prime
  • Stay Calm
Evolution and Bible
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2007, 08:42:52 pm »
The Bible. =P
saying teh bible denies evolution is bad theology
"It's like growing up reading good books or listening to good music. One good sofa breeds another good sofa; one bad sofa breeds another bad sofa. That's how it goes."

Offline harvey danger

• Machinae Prime
  • Werd
Evolution and Bible
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2007, 08:53:52 pm »

Unless we time machine is built i guess we'll never know. :)

Damnit, someone get Gulliver in here.

The Bible. =P

Indeed. The story of creation is meant as more of story than a factual account.

Smeagol

Evolution and Bible
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2007, 09:10:12 pm »
The Bible. =P

bIblE basihng iz cool LoL!!

Offline Ant

• Donated so refic can buy beer
  • Community Supporter
  • Machinae Prime
  • It's personal text.
Evolution and Bible
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2007, 09:32:13 pm »
* LionNinja shows Fiindil his Eulogy
But if one day we meet together while I'm drunk, I promise you to draw a big group sex picture including a lot of forumites. :D

Ich bin ein Berliner, Frankfurter, Hamburger und Bonner

Offline Trias

Evolution and Bible
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2007, 09:59:30 pm »

says who...

Well, probably both possibilities are... possible...

I think it depends under which conditions life formed, and why. And on how the rate of spread compares to the probability of emergence of life. I could imagine two different scenarios (or anything in between):

1. Life emerged because of a sudden change of global conditions (comet struck, sudden temperature change, etc.). Then it might originate on multiple spots at (approximately) the same time.

2. The emergence of life was a rather improbable event. Maybe conditions on earth even didn't change over millions of years, then suddenly something happened locally (small comet hit the ocean, at the same time being hit by lighting... whatever), and life emerged at that spot. Maybe it would take again millions of years for that special event to happen again, but until then life has already spread over the planet.

or something.

Offline L'homme magique

• Machinae Prime
  • Stay Calm
Evolution and Bible
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2007, 10:20:52 pm »
The Bible. =P

I'm not bible bashing.
"It's like growing up reading good books or listening to good music. One good sofa breeds another good sofa; one bad sofa breeds another bad sofa. That's how it goes."

Offline cloudstrifex

Evolution and Bible
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2007, 10:57:58 pm »
The Bible. =P

No it isn't. The bible is the holy book of Christianity and therefore is the factual account about how we came to be in this world, for Christians anyway.

Smeagol

Evolution and Bible
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2007, 11:09:32 pm »
The Bible. =P

I'm not bible bashing.

However, Lysix(?) was. I was merely providing support in my own unique way. Namely, failing at being a prick.