Author Topic: iPhone  (Read 29432 times)

Offline gaijin

• Hiding behind the couch
  • Community Supporter
  • "You sound like the Morning Star"
    • Motljus
Re: iPhone
« Reply #90 on: July 21, 2008, 11:59:37 pm »
i believe you said "omfg it sold because its apple lol", whereas i said "it sold because it looks nice" :/
besides, you can apply your point to every popular item on the market. the 3g iphone wouldn't of sold so well if it sucked, because it managed to score good reviews with the original to begin with. i think thats proof enough that people like and want it!

I believe I said it sold BIG 'cause of the hype, but it'd probably be decently popular 'cause it's a nice phone. And I'm not SAYING it's a bad phone, and i'm not SAYING that people don't like it and just stay with it 'cause of the coolness factor - I AM however saying that it's probably riding a helluva lot more on rep and hype than other products previously pushed by apple. Is it not a fair statement that besides the ipod, the iphone has recieved a LOT more airtime than other products?

Agreed this hype-theory might be applied to many popular products, but far from all. Not all companies has the rep and backing that apple has, and when it comes to marketing... apple are indeed very very good, better than almost everyone else.
Oi, is this when I get a huge sig-image, start whining about "moar sid" and make nonsensical arguments to no good?

Lysix

« Reply #91 on: July 22, 2008, 12:18:10 am »
but why aren't other companies just as good? surely if a company cannot market it's product in such a way that attracts a wide range of customers, their stuff deserves to not sell? in such a crammed market (for games, computers, phones and everything technology) it's everybody for themselves really. apple has managed to create this image for itself and it sells.  money is money.
 the logo, their design, their adverts and everything about the brand is easily distinguished from other products. if you showed me a nokia phone beside the samsung without the brandnames, chances are you won't be able to identify them (assuming you hadn't seem them before). if i showed someone an apple item, it's an almost sureshot fact they will know what it is.
ahwell. im rambling and i never make sense. [:

Offline gaijin

• Community Supporter
    • Motljus
« Reply #92 on: July 22, 2008, 12:35:37 am »
but why aren't other companies just as good? surely if a company cannot market it's product in such a way that attracts a wide range of customers, their stuff deserves to not sell? in such a crammed market (for games, computers, phones and everything technology) it's everybody for themselves really. apple has managed to create this image for itself and it sells.  money is money.
 the logo, their design, their adverts and everything about the brand is easily distinguished from other products. if you showed me a nokia phone beside the samsung without the brandnames, chances are you won't be able to identify them (assuming you hadn't seem them before). if i showed someone an apple item, it's an almost sureshot fact they will know what it is.
ahwell. im rambling and i never make sense. [:

Why other companies aren't as good? Well.. they have less cash and less brains behind their marketing, I'd assume.

And to me, a good product deserves to be noticed and sold, even if the people marketing are doing a shitty job. I'd rather take a good product with shitty marketing than a less good with good marketing behind it.

And of course it's everyone for themselves, and I'm not saying it's a bad thing what apple has done in creating their brand and their rep. It's good, especially for them - and they DO deserve it, 'cause they've had some really good products.

It's just like von said a few pages back though: It all comes down to viewing products and their marketing through a pair of BS-goggles. The iphone is a good product, but it does lack in areas and is certainly not perfect - the view of many when one reads reviews and the likes online. I've seen numerous accounts where people has beein doin' this: "OMG ITS SOO GOOD LOOKING ITS AWSUM! I CANT USE MMS AND THE CAMERA SUCKS BALLS AND THE BATTERY IS NOT SO GOOD BUT I LOVE IT IT IS PERFECT I SHALL MAKE LOVE TO IT NOOOOOW!" - And I just can't abide it.

If it's got flaws, admit it! My phone has flaws (bad battery time, for instance.. and it's too big for some people), but I can live with them and I certainly don't try to deny that they are there, and that seems to be what a LOT of iphone-enthusiasts are doing.

If you wanna get the iphone for whatever reason - do so. If you can live with the flaws, good for you, you've got a good phone (albeit an expensive one). Just try to be sensible, okay? It's not nirvana on earth - it's a fucking phone. ;)

"You're not your job. You're not how much money you have in the bank. You're not the car you drive. You're not the contents of your wallet. You're not your fucking khakis...and YOU ARE NOT YOUR FUCKING IPHONE EITHER!" // Tyler Durden, somewhat modified.

And now I realize that It looks like this post is aimed directly at mems, and it's not. Just the three first paragraphs. ;)
Oi, is this when I get a huge sig-image, start whining about "moar sid" and make nonsensical arguments to no good?

Lysix

« Reply #93 on: July 22, 2008, 12:44:10 am »
i should hope the last parts weren't aimed at me, because i don't plan on buying an iphone just yet. my nokia 6300 does the job for me [:
valid points, though. reskpekcktktkt to u lol?

Offline harvey danger

• Machinae Prime
  • Werd
« Reply #94 on: July 22, 2008, 01:19:19 am »
Basic functionality? It's a phone. It can call people. That's all the basic functionality a phone needs. Everything else is extra.

Pretty pricey for a lil' gadget that's just supposed to call people, then.

That was the underlying point. I've never seen an all-in-one gadget that can do everything excellently, like Von said; "jack-of-all-trades, but master of none". I'm actually getting kind of sick of these things.

Don't even get me started on texting.
That's the problem with heroes, really. Their only purpose in life is to thwart others. They make no plans, develop no strategies. They react instead of act. Without villains, heroes would stagnate. Without heroes, villains would be running the world. Heroes have morals. Villains have work ethic.

Offline dezo

• ex Defence Against the Dark Arts
  • Machinae Prime
« Reply #95 on: July 22, 2008, 02:50:02 am »
I have an iPhone and I'll definitely admit to have fallen for the marketing blast.
The touch screen is perfect for use with fingers = "true"
The iPhone is a Smartphone = "false"

The iPhone is Dumbe!;)
Think about this: Jonne sent me a zip file with a couple of guitar riffs he wanted me to have in mind for a song project.
I got the mail to my iPhone and then... nothing.

I bought the iPhone under the assumption that it was a Smartphone.
The one thing that I require is full mail function.
The iPhones mail is slick and usable if you want to read text and nothing more.
If you, as I do, haf to work with mail related stuff and think that you can do just that with the iPhone you are in for one of the most frustrating surplices of your life.
The phone is not cheap.
I feel sort of dumb when I'm thinking about how slick it felt the first few days...

Now I have a HTC Touch Diamond... good old windows. There is nothing I can't do with that phone.
You are not a beautiful and unique snowflake! (Tyler durden strikes again)
The HTC has crappy battery and you haf to be a bit g33k to get the UI to work as fast as you want.
But being windows, you can do registry hacks for about everything.
All within the legal rights mentioned the EULA too I haf to say.

The iPhone is a kewl phone, but alas not a Smartphone.
The HTS is a g33ky phone with all the features of a dominant Smartphone.

But g33k as I am I must recommend the FreeRunner =)
http://www.openmoko.com/ Linux ftw!

Offline Gravehill

• Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
  • Dignity! Strength! Love!
« Reply #96 on: July 22, 2008, 02:54:51 am »
I've had several phones and only one bad. Bad one was Motorola and I've heard that since that (many years ago) they have improved lot. So far I've not seen phone that "I must have".

I just wish that they would do phones that could be operated by energy from some sort of generic battery (like ability to run it from (rechargeable) AAA-batteries) that are available virtually everywhere and that will be available in future as well. I would also like that phone would endure water and that it would be shock resistant. I wish they would develope energy-systems and physical durability of phones instead adding that many devices on them. I've had to get rid of one mobile phone and one laptop because I could not find batteries for them. Sure, I could have tried to re-cell (or what ever the correct term is) them but that would have cost more than buyin a new one. Granted, AAA-batteries are not that good way to storage energy so I used it only as example. Still I'm sure that they could do something for energy consumption and energy input methods in phones.
Random ramblings and furious feminine novels per versatility.

Offline Bocom

• SiteDeveloper
  • I'm in despair!
    • Woah there!
« Reply #97 on: July 22, 2008, 03:41:06 am »
How is the homebrew support on the HTC?

Since I just upgraded to the latest iPhone firmware, it's a bit shaky, but it's all a matter of time, the coolest of the coolest apps will eventually come back.

To me, homebrew is a pretty important aspect of almost any device, since it can add lots of new capabilities and posibilities, like the iPhone or the Wii as an example.

(Like asking people to put the zip on some temporary webspace and then use MobileSafari to download the file and then unzip it using the command line tool unzip ;))
This quote is out of context:
<Bocom> I'm also going to see Quantum of Solace later
<Syndicated> Bocom: it is fucking scary
(@Radicz0r) Fuck! Its friday, and you wankers are talking about PIE. Pie! What the hell?

Offline dezo

• ex Defence Against the Dark Arts
  • Machinae Prime
« Reply #98 on: July 22, 2008, 04:09:05 am »
(Like asking people to put the zip on some temporary webspace and then use MobileSafari to download the file and then unzip it using the command line tool unzip ;))

Think of it this way: An agent for EBS sends me a zipfile with logos or whatnot to my mail. I'm on tour and haven't the time to sit down by a computer.
Should I call the agent and ask him to post the file on a server instead of just opening it on my phone?
The command line tool for iPhone is a violation of EULA, so if I fsuk up my phone while I'm away fom home noone can reach me because of the EULA violation.
I'm not saying "don't hack the iPhone", I'm saying "should I haf to hack it?".
Homebrew for HTC is quite easymode to install and develop if you use compact .net framework.
If you are familiar with windows CE it shouldn't be a problem to write a app for anythink you'd like.

Offline gaijin

• Community Supporter
    • Motljus
« Reply #99 on: July 22, 2008, 06:08:08 am »
Dezo: Feels good knowing that i'm not the only htc-nerd out there, at any rate. ;)

They make phones that work pretty well. One step closer to a PDA than most phones, but I don't mind. It works. Not flawlessly (I had to install a separate movie-player for xvid for instance), but it's good enough.

And how beautiful isn't it to have 5-8 full-length movies loaded onto your phone for those long night shifts with nothing to do? ;)

Offline Jack Lupino

• Worst Dude
  • Machinae Prime
« Reply #100 on: July 22, 2008, 11:46:23 pm »
My buddy one got one and it looks pretty damn sweet.

When you view photos, and hold your phone upside down, the photo automatically turns to the correct angle so you can see the picture normally again.

Offline Drakonis

• Fighter from Ninne
  • Community Supporter
  • "I am mine own Redeemer."
« Reply #101 on: July 23, 2008, 12:23:17 am »
My buddy one got one and it looks pretty damn sweet.

When you view photos, and hold your phone upside down, the photo automatically turns to the correct angle so you can see the picture normally again.

Phew, I need that feature on my phone. I'm always trying to look at my pictures upside down and it confuses me.

Omg, im sorry. I'm trolling now  :(

To be honest, I do think for the most part thats a really intelligent feature. I know my instinct has a wide screen on it and when I view pictures inside the email it tries to display them from top to bottom, regardless if its a longer image. When I save them and view them in the imagine viewer, it displays them the best way to view them, which is good. But its annoying to see somebody squeezed into a wide screen with black boxes on the edge and im sitting there wondering how hard it woulda been to add a freakin' rotate button to the email app.