Author Topic: GameLog  (Read 4215 times)

Offline PrescriptiveBarony

• Machinae Prime
  • Let there be blacklight.
GameLog
« on: January 10, 2007, 08:26:23 am »
So i'm in this class called Fundamentals of Game Design. The first class was spent watching the intro of Final Fantay XII, and then watching someone play through the tutorial, followed by some slides and discussion about why FF12 is so good. We then rinsed and repeated with the original Legend of Zelda and finally Pong. Then, with about 10 minutes left for actual class, the professor started talking about the structure and expecations and whatever. We have to design some games.... in gamemaker. well whatever, BUT whoever makes what is judged to be the best game winnnnnss an xbox 360. Holy shit i'm interested in school now! prizes!

PLUS our homework often consists of "play video games for a few hours and write about them." to this end, the professor got the library to stock 5 each of the NES, N64, and PS2 for kids to check out, along with 5 games each. holy crap! no more boring weekends! By next month they'll have a "console lab" with just about all the consoles since NES (i guess no atari, le sigh) produced by major manufacturers (not like the 3DO).

also to the end of having us write about gaming, we all have to sign up on a site called GameLog. It's basically a blogging site specially structured for gameblogging. Perhaps worth a shot or at least a look, and really the entire point of this post aside from the self-aggrandizement by association.

Quote from: Drakonis
Everybody should just <3.

Offline Ant

• Donated so refic can buy beer
  • Community Supporter
  • Machinae Prime
  • It's personal text.
Re: GameLog
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2007, 08:28:52 am »
Oh man shame about the prize eh? ;)

So, where exactly in Nauru do you live again? :D

but seriously that is fucking awesome

EDIT: Oh and can i do the music for the game? :P
« Last Edit: January 10, 2007, 02:54:19 pm by LionNinja »
But if one day we meet together while I'm drunk, I promise you to draw a big group sex picture including a lot of forumites. :D

Ich bin ein Berliner, Frankfurter, Hamburger und Bonner

Lysix

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2007, 02:52:22 pm »
"Aw damn, i have to play five hours of zelda and write about why its so good. Fucking homework!"

Offline Fallout

• Machinae Prime
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2007, 04:20:05 pm »
What sorta class is that? That's almost as bad as the "video games" class that people in the UK have been campaigning for.

Seriously, what do you learn from it? It's a bit of a narrow road if you ask me. Theres two things you could probably get from this class, and that is games journalism and games design.

-Noww.. Think how awesome those jobs would be, and then realise how many other people will be after these small niche jobs.

Dont get me wrong, it sounds like an awesome class, but it sounds like a bit of a timeslot filler.. :/

Lysix

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2007, 04:20:54 pm »
Dont get me wrong, it sounds like an awesome class, but it sounds like a bit of a timeslot filler.. :/

At least he HAS lessons to go to. :P

Offline Fallout

• Machinae Prime
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2007, 04:21:45 pm »

At least he HAS lessons to go to. :P

Gah. My evil plans foiled again! Nooooooooooooo-ooo..

Offline Xhu

• Gentlemen... it's a nuclear device.
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2007, 05:49:15 pm »
What sorta class is that? That's almost as bad as the "video games" class that people in the UK have been campaigning for.

WHY am I only learning aboutt his NOW?
(i) There will come a day when nothing you did matters. But it is not today. Here and now, you are alive.
(ii) Live well under your own authority.
(iii) Abolishing suffering is impossible. Lessening suffering is mandatory.

Offline harvey danger

• Machinae Prime
  • Werd
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2007, 05:54:47 pm »

Seriously, what do you learn from it? It's a bit of a narrow road if you ask me. Theres two things you could probably get from this class, and that is games journalism and games design.

-Noww.. Think how awesome those jobs would be, and then realise how many other people will be after these small niche jobs.

There's never enough people to "fill up" the jobs like that. Either they don't know, or they're not interested. Either way, the market is growing at a pretty amazing rate, and it's not too difficult to find a job in game design nowadays.

Problem, though, is that you go to the market, instead of the market going to you. Anyone pursuing a career in game design should be ready for the possibility of having to move away from home, even to the opposite coast, to find a job with a developer.

On a high note, there's two companies in Boston, Red Octane (Guitar Hero I & II) and the company responsible for the System Shock (and now Bioshock) games.  :D
That's the problem with heroes, really. Their only purpose in life is to thwart others. They make no plans, develop no strategies. They react instead of act. Without villains, heroes would stagnate. Without heroes, villains would be running the world. Heroes have morals. Villains have work ethic.

Offline Fallout

• Machinae Prime
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2007, 06:40:16 pm »
But the problem with Game Design (and any other programming job really) is that it's a highly stressful job. You just sit there and code.. and code.. and then your boss whips you some more.

If you get into game design, the best thing to do is either level design, character design or music. Then at least you have some sort of creative freedom. Being a code monkey is a depressing and stressy job.

Games journalism is on the other hand a hard job to get into. Best to start doing reviews and other journalism things online, its hard to get into a job in a games magazine because they dont actually need that many staff.

• Machinae Prime
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2007, 08:45:13 pm »
as for the purpose, i'm not doing it for any long-term goal except to supplement the game design i'm already doing, by hopefully finding someone who is interesting and interested in helping me with the content portion; i have no problem with coding things once i know what to do, but lots of problems deciding on coherent ideas.

Offline L'homme magique

• Machinae Prime
  • Stay Calm
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2007, 12:22:59 am »
So. Why is FF12 so good? It's the most polarizing game I've come across in a while.
"It's like growing up reading good books or listening to good music. One good sofa breeds another good sofa; one bad sofa breeds another bad sofa. That's how it goes."

• Machinae Prime
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2007, 03:04:49 am »
actually he ended up being very vague and relying on audience participation, which was a predictable combination of pedantic/nerdy/inflammatory/retarded. but today's demo was radiant silvergun. now there's a good game!

Offline L'homme magique

• Machinae Prime
  • Stay Calm
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2007, 05:13:35 am »
should request a demo of system shock 2 because it is the best game

ever
"It's like growing up reading good books or listening to good music. One good sofa breeds another good sofa; one bad sofa breeds another bad sofa. That's how it goes."

Offline Einkoro

• Machinae Prime
  • ~tima
    • http://www.janpingel.com/
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2007, 08:30:32 am »

ever

As much as I like SS2 I'm going to have to say:

C&C is the better game,

ever.
"Don't believe anyone when they tell you irony is just a literary convention. It's a universal constant, like the coefficient of gravity." - Alfred Bester

• Machinae Prime
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2007, 10:03:28 am »

ever

well, he DID ask for people to sign up to show off whatever games they like... i was thinking more jets n guns though. i don't think i even have the ss2 iso anymore anyway.