Author Topic: Our Future  (Read 15064 times)

Offline Sirix

• Self proclaimed forum Villain
  • Community Supporter
  • Machinae Prime
Re: Our Future
« Reply #30 on: January 11, 2007, 04:51:06 pm »
Actually, you're wrong.

The combination of traditional preference for boys and the one-child policy has created a large imbalance in the sex ratios at birth. Sex-selective abortion is, or at least was before the ban on it, common. Sex-selective infanticide did and does also occur, but I suppose abandonment is the most usual way of doing it today (evidenced by the fact that about 95% of children in chinese orphanages are girls, and completely healthy ones at that).

Ok, you're right, abortion of girls is often (and the rest). I give up ;)

So... did I destroy the thread now? (Nobody seems to write about the world's future problems any more. )

it could be argued that we're discusing the future of those girls.

anyone see the episode of Simpsons where Selma adopts a baby chinese girl?
it's a fantasticaly hilarious episode... and uh... really deep and meaningful...

Lysix

« Reply #31 on: January 11, 2007, 04:55:23 pm »
Is anyone else scared that 1/6 the worlds population is chinese?

Offline Torp v2.0

• Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
  • Happiness is Mandatory!
    • My homepage
« Reply #32 on: January 11, 2007, 05:15:48 pm »
Not really.

But then again, we norwegians are used to being few. We've been few ever since the plague.
...why Torp was picked over you... HE'S JUST BETTER THAN YOU IN EVERY RESPECT. -SomethingGood
<Radicz0r> Torp is well prepared for universal destruction

[03:18:49] <WereVolvo> ARCTIC
[03:18:51] <WereVolvo> not arctic

Offline bamFUnk

• 'bout mah dick
« Reply #33 on: January 12, 2007, 05:25:42 am »
China can creat a shit storm whenever they want.  If they start a war, every soldier that dies, three new recruits can take his place.
In Canada cats grow on trees

Offline harvey danger

• Machinae Prime
  • Werd
« Reply #34 on: January 12, 2007, 05:40:05 am »
China can creat a shit storm whenever they want.  If they start a war, every soldier that dies, three new recruits can take his place.

They've already shot down a US spy satellite with a fucking laser (which is awesome).

How plausible is another world war, involving CHina as one of the main players?

That's the problem with heroes, really. Their only purpose in life is to thwart others. They make no plans, develop no strategies. They react instead of act. Without villains, heroes would stagnate. Without heroes, villains would be running the world. Heroes have morals. Villains have work ethic.

Offline Xhu

• Gentlemen... it's a nuclear device.
« Reply #35 on: January 12, 2007, 01:11:52 pm »
Not very. MAD, remember?
(i) There will come a day when nothing you did matters. But it is not today. Here and now, you are alive.
(ii) Live well under your own authority.
(iii) Abolishing suffering is impossible. Lessening suffering is mandatory.

Offline Kobi

« Reply #36 on: January 12, 2007, 02:04:44 pm »

They've already shot down a US spy satellite with a fucking laser (which is awesome).

I'd give my vote to the americans on starting the next world war. Considdring the events of this week, 20 000 more troops to Iraq and several bombings in Somalia. While I'm not fond of terrorism or extreme fundamentalists I think another contry bugging in and shooting just makes the situation worse.

Lysix

« Reply #37 on: January 12, 2007, 05:30:33 pm »
I'd give my vote to the americans on starting the next world war. Considdring the events of this week, 20 000 more troops to Iraq and several bombings in Somalia. While I'm not fond of terrorism or extreme fundamentalists I think another contry bugging in and shooting just makes the situation worse.

With bush in charge, the war would probably end as soon as it started.

Offline bamFUnk

• 'bout mah dick
« Reply #38 on: January 13, 2007, 07:12:42 am »

A Chinese civil war would be a world war in my book.  Their sweat-shopped low quality mass produced products are in every store everywhere
In Canada cats grow on trees

Offline Fallout

• Machinae Prime
« Reply #39 on: January 13, 2007, 07:31:54 am »
A Chinese civil war would be a world war in my book.  Their sweat-shopped low quality mass produced products are in every store everywhere

Hence the reason that a Chinese civil war would NOT be a good idea, because prices would increase everywhere else.

Offline harvey danger

• Machinae Prime
  • Werd
« Reply #40 on: January 13, 2007, 07:32:58 am »

Hence the reason that a Chinese civil war would NOT be a good idea, because prices would increase everywhere else.

When did civil wars ever become good ideas?
That's the problem with heroes, really. Their only purpose in life is to thwart others. They make no plans, develop no strategies. They react instead of act. Without villains, heroes would stagnate. Without heroes, villains would be running the world. Heroes have morals. Villains have work ethic.

Offline Trezker

• Machinae Prime
  • I don't eat food!
    • Trezker is a programmer
« Reply #41 on: January 13, 2007, 10:34:03 am »
Civil war is always a good idea.

You have the power of TIME ON YOUR HANDS. -Laser
"Oh come on Trez, everyone knows you're sexy" -Spider Chii

Offline Laser.T

• 日本人ですか?
  • Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
« Reply #42 on: January 13, 2007, 12:40:35 pm »
Civil war is always a good idea.

I rebel!

Who's gonna join me in the Machinae Supremacy Forums People's Rule Liberation Front (MSFPRLF)?!!!

I think the next world war will involve a union of countries who're all pissed off with America. They'll agree in secret that if America does one more thing they'll unite. Then, as sure as Tuesday, America will do 'one more thing' (because that's what they do... things...). Then these countries will unite, declare war and it'll all blow up; the union on one side and America and its allies on the other and no one really sure what they're fighting for and under what circumstances the conflict will end.

Offline Torp v2.0

• Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
  • Happiness is Mandatory!
    • My homepage
« Reply #43 on: January 13, 2007, 01:35:07 pm »
I'm gonna keep my finger on the next world war being a religious one.

Yeah, it's an old one, fanatical moslems vs the west, but it's also the most likely sceneario for a larger conflict as of today.

The other world powers, like the USA, China, Europe and Russia, has little to no interest in starting a war with any of the others. Localised, supported conflicts between USA and Russia or China might be a slight possibility, specifically in the middle of Asia, but they're too good friends to start all-out war (plus, there's the nukes).
...why Torp was picked over you... HE'S JUST BETTER THAN YOU IN EVERY RESPECT. -SomethingGood
<Radicz0r> Torp is well prepared for universal destruction

[03:18:49] <WereVolvo> ARCTIC
[03:18:51] <WereVolvo> not arctic

Offline Fallout

• Machinae Prime
« Reply #44 on: January 13, 2007, 07:30:44 pm »
It's already been pretty much agreed that there will be no more "World Wars" because of a little thing called Mutual assured destruction. Everyone has their nukes pointed at everyone else and all it takes is a few button presses to make us just another charred rock spinning around a star.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2007, 07:32:53 pm by Fallout »