Author Topic: What album should I start with?  (Read 6056 times)

Offline Anhedonia

• Now I know how Joan of Arc felt.
What album should I start with?
« on: December 29, 2006, 01:29:41 am »
I'm new with Machinae Supremacy.
Which cd should I purchase first - Deus ex machinae or Redeemer?
"I'm of the school that believes that reality is extremely painful, and that one has got to constantly find ways to keep it from intruding on your life." (Woody Allen)

Offline Fallout

• Machinae Prime
Re: What album should I start with?
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2006, 01:39:56 am »
Both. :)

Offline cloudstrifex

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2006, 01:40:15 am »
Both. 8)

Well it depends. I personally like DXM better than Redeemer but that's version one; v2 I'm not too fond of. I'd say buy DXM first though and then Redeemer.

Offline Fallout

• Machinae Prime
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2006, 01:47:17 am »
Both. 8)

Well it depends. I personally like DXM better than Redeemer but that's version one; v2 I'm not too fond of. I'd say buy DXM first though and then Redeemer.

What he said.

Lysix

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2006, 01:48:03 am »
I'd get DXM first. Because people tend to like bands newer stuff and totally ignore the roots that made their new sound in the first place. :)

Offline Drakonis

• Fighter from Ninne
  • Community Supporter
  • "I am mine own Redeemer."
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2006, 02:32:00 am »
I sat here and thought about it for a while and honestly I'm torn. You will want both eventually, so really you can't go wrong either way. DXM is a fantastic album and thats the way I heard their evolution - from site, to DXM, to Redeemer. (and any remastering that was done on the way) so in that way I'd almost say get DXM first if you can't order both albums.

I actually like Redeemer more than DXM I think (but I LOVE them both and listen to them BOTH regularly still) because it sounds more evolved and is heavier in my opinion. DXM has much more "sid" (the digital/gamish effects from songs like Winterstorm). Redeemer has a fuller, more in your face sound but has plenty of sid as well. You will notice a bigger difference going from site releases to Redeemer than you would from DXM to Redeemer, in my opinion. The difference isn't change per se though, more evolution and improved techniques (mastering, etc). Vocal harmonies is another evolution I've noticed. The site releases didn't have alot of vocal harmonizing. DXM introduced it to a much more noticable degree (such as during final choruses). Redeemer is RAMPANT with vocal harmonization, which I absolutely love. The vocals sound absolutely fantastic (both roberts and the backing vocals) and im a huge fan of that sound - so that may be another reason I get chills when Robert belts out his tunes on Redeemer.

If you can get both, get both. If you become a huge fan, or are a huge fan, keep in mind Redeemer Underground Edition won't be around much longer and has a few extra tracks that the retail doesnt have (as well as the old masterings of the songs off Redeemer. Some of the songs sound quite a bit different, such as Oki Kumas Adventure). I'd wait for addictness for that though, since Retail was designed for mass release and the Underground Edition was not... but it's something to think about since it has a few extra tracks (which are just as good as the other songs off the album, mind you) that may vanish into the darkness in the future. Although I'm sure those tracks (Fury, Empire, Kaori Stomp, and both intros Prelude to Empire and Cavern of Lost Time (hubnester industries anyone? :P) will find their way into the masses that missed out at some point. I doubt the band will let those tracks fall into oblivion.

Welcome aboard by the way, you'll love both albums ;).

If you have any questions or questions regarding Retail/Underground edition feel free to ask.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2006, 02:34:50 am by Drakonis »

Offline Jack Lupino

• Worst Dude
  • Machinae Prime
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2006, 02:32:52 am »
* Radicz0r agrees.

Offline Kernel

« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2006, 03:43:10 am »
Yup, get DXM first. If you get Redeemer first, you probably would forget about DXM because MaSu will have released a new CD in the mean time, so you get that one first, or whatever. And that would be sad, because DXM is a fantastic album, and somehow cool because... well, Redeemer is out to mass-market now, while DXM was kinda hard to get (I waited like 6 months for my copy). And having DXM is like... being able to say "I know the music Machinae made before they hit the record stores all over the world"
...well maybe it's just me, but I think that's cool.
And DXM is a fantastic album...
Oh, and if you go for Redeemer afterwards... the Retail Edition has a "softer" sound, so you can hear more background vocals and more SID. I like it better than the really loud "in your face" Underground Edition. But Fury and Empire are two good reasons to go for the UE instead...

Think wisely... and just get them all, cause every single one of them rocks (I haven't even talked about DXMv1, which definitely rocks, as well, though it's not agreed which one rocks more, v1 or v2)...
And don't foget to get a T-Shirt!

Offline L'homme magique

• Machinae Prime
  • Stay Calm
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2006, 03:55:58 am »
I think Redeemer is better on the whole. So get DXM. If you like that, you will enjoy Redeemer.

I don't understand why people say to start with the best album, because it just turns me off of the band's other stuff.
"It's like growing up reading good books or listening to good music. One good sofa breeds another good sofa; one bad sofa breeds another bad sofa. That's how it goes."

Offline Anhedonia

• Now I know how Joan of Arc felt.
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2006, 02:01:32 pm »
Allrightythen, I'll start with DXM!
I think Player one is a kickass-tune, so I'm really eager.
"I'm of the school that believes that reality is extremely painful, and that one has got to constantly find ways to keep it from intruding on your life." (Woody Allen)

Lysix

« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2006, 01:26:39 am »
Allrightythen, I'll start with DXM!
I think Player one is a kickass-tune, so I'm really eager.

You won't be dissapointed. :)

Offline gaijin

• Hiding behind the couch
  • Community Supporter
  • "You sound like the Morning Star"
    • Motljus
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2006, 01:49:31 am »
Just.. an observation from the sidelines, here.

I've noticed that as soon as something new gets released (be it a cd, a soundtrack, a song or whatnot..) it seems to instantly split the members of the forum into four distinct groups, and of those two are really loud.

The first group is the one that sticks by the original material no matter what. They were with 'em from THE START, and now they SUCK! Sellouts! Leaving their roots! Whatever!

The second group is the one that instantly embraces the new stuff, and goes: "Ohmigosh! New shit! This is AWESOME! Suddenly everything before this sucks monkeyballs!"

Third, is one of the less loud groups, the ones that seems to be torn between it all. Can't decide what to like, and what not to like. What bush would have called the flip-floppers.

The fourth group is periodically dead silent, and suddenly from time to time has outbursts. You might have figured that I place myself in this category. We listen to what we like. Some songs are good, some are bad, and so it is with all the releases, be it albums or web-songs or whatnot. The thing that we scream about is the other three groups, who can't seem to get along worth shit. ;D

Anyway, just an observation.

And to answer the original question.. if you really can't decide, then we can't tell you what to do. Flip a coin, whydon'tcha? =) I can't really put myself in the situation at hand here. It's a pretty unique scenario, actually. To get interested in a band through free releases, and then find that you have several albums to choose from. Usually, when i get into a band, it's cause someone sends me a song or two from a perticular album, and then i just get that, download the rest, and choose what to buy from that. Oh well, i get the feeling i lost my thought somewhere in here, but.. anyway, whatever you do, you won't be dissapointed, and you'll support the band any way you go. ;)
Oi, is this when I get a huge sig-image, start whining about "moar sid" and make nonsensical arguments to no good?

Offline Spectrums

• Composer
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2006, 04:16:27 am »
Good post gaijin, you are totally correct.

DXM is a good CD, and so is Redeemer. Buy both.
KZ.AM/
STOP
SOPA
Sigs images are max 300*100 pixels - mod team

"Step into our mortal dance - and taste the subtle clad romance" - Nemesis

Offline Fensty

« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2006, 04:31:42 am »
i say start with DXM, but that's coz i'm one of these people that has to do everything in order, in this case chronological order...
I Reject Your Reality, And Substitute My Own.

Offline Laser.T

• 日本人ですか?
  • Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2006, 12:56:05 pm »
gaijin studies this forum's personality too much. You should write a thesis on "forum fever".
I'd put myself in the fouth group, and I'm not just saying that to sound better, I say it cos it's true and sometimes I'll go off Machinae for a little while and come back later cos my music tastes takes me wherever it wishes.

Anyway

In answer to your question. I'd really say Both, but if you're struggling for cash then I'd say... go to the website, sample the available album tracks and pick out your favorite pairing, then buy the CD that they were on. (When I encounter a new band, I dig around for tracks, find out which CD the majority of my favorite tracks can be found on and buy that one first.)