Author Topic: Vanden Plas  (Read 2427 times)

Offline LordXaras

Vanden Plas
« on: December 14, 2006, 12:17:11 pm »
Does anyone else listen to this German band?

Since hearing them on Pandora a month or two ago I've been listening almost exclusively to them... it fits so ridiculously good with my music taste. Anyways, I've exhausted almost my entire contact list and no-one seems to have heard of these guys. I've heard that they're quite big in France and parts of Germany, but apart from their official forums, I've never come across anyone advocating them.

If you need an introduction to them, they play progressive metal with a big pinch of theatrical-ness. Their newest album is a musical remake of The Count of Monte Cristo, and it's awesome.

www.vandenplas.de
www.faroffgrace.com

So... yeah. I rarely start threads here, but these guys are just so awesome that I had to denounce my vows of lurking.

Offline Jack Lupino

• Worst Dude
  • Machinae Prime
Re: Vanden Plas
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2006, 12:50:10 pm »
Van Den Plas is a Dutch name =]

Offline SomethingApt

• Machinae Prime
  • [this space for rent]
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2006, 01:31:18 pm »
I've heard of them, haven't listened to them much though.

Offline Layson Juravis

• R.I.P. Max
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2006, 04:47:09 am »
I'm a one album fan of Vanden Plas so far. I love the album beyond daylight. It has strong melodic prog numbers like Nightwalker and Beyond Daylight. And good anthemic crunchers such as Phoenix and Free The Fire. I'm not too high on their ballads, though.

It's obvious these musicians are influenced by the musings of Dream Theater, yet differ sufficiently to keep things interesting.

I can't say I'm a fan of Christ 0, however. In fact, I've heard it nearly half a dozen times, and I fail to remember off the top of my head a single melodic line from it. Nothing. I know it's not bad, but it's hardly as memorable as Beyond Daylight. I also own Colour Temple, but find that album a little too timid in its approach to fully engage me.
Another visitor...
Stay a while...
Stay forever!!

Mouhouhouhahaha

Offline LordXaras

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2006, 12:16:07 pm »
I agree. Though it was Christ 0 that got me interested in them, I have recently been listening through a bunch of their other albums and they really have some memorable tracks.