Author Topic: SPLIT: Mac vs Windows  (Read 19696 times)

Offline Drakonis

• Fighter from Ninne
  • Community Supporter
  • "I am mine own Redeemer."
Re: SPLIT: Mac vs Windows
« Reply #30 on: November 30, 2006, 10:43:54 pm »
Windows Vista Home Basic
200 euros or 255.55$ or 135.95 pounds

Windows Vista Home Premium
400 euros or 511.10$ or 271.90 pounds

Windows Vista Ultimate Edition
500 euros or 638.88$ or 339.87 pounds

Windows Vista Business
650 euros or 830.54$ or 441.84 pounds

Windows Vista Enterprise
800 euros or 1,022.20$ or 543.80 pounds

Those prices are wrong. And as per my edits below, you were incorrect that they are higher. Vista is MUCH cheaper than those prices. I've included sources (read as: Microsofts website...)

Windows Vista Home Premium, which I fully intend to buy:
Suggested retail price for full package product, $239.00 USD. Suggested upgrade retail price, $159.00 USD. (That's 180.456 EUR for the FULL package (meaning you have no previous version of windows installed on your PC). If you're upgrading to Vista, that comes to 120.047 EUR.

Where did you get those prices? They're wrong. Way wrong. I'm going to trust the Microsoft website on this one. :P

Thats less than half the cost of the list you're showing for the full package product. http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvista/getready/editions/home_premium.mspx - price is at the bottom.

Theres my source, straight from Microsoft. The other editions fluctuate in price accordingly. Home Premium is what most of us would want, although Basic would operate just like XP Home Edition with advanced functionality. I want premium for Windows Aero and Media Center Interaction.

And it's worth it for either the upgrade or the full package price in my opinion.

Edit:
EDIT: all these figures are wrong, apparently it's even more expensive than this list, if anyone can find an up-to-date list, please post it here to further my point.

Wrong. Theyre MUCH cheaper. See my list below. Source is microsoft directly. http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvista/getready/editions/business.mspx - this is the business page. Cycle through the different versions on the right. The price is listed on the bottom of each individual page. I compiled the complete list below.

Edit:
Basic Home
Suggested retail price for full package product, $199.00 USD. Suggested upgrade retail price, $99.95 USD.

Premium Home
Suggested retail price for full package product, $239.00 USD. Suggested upgrade retail price, $159.00 USD.

Business
Suggested retail price for full package product, $299.00 USD. Suggested upgrade retail price, $199.00 USD.

Enterprise
The Windows Vista Enterprise edition is only available to Microsoft Volume License customers, it is not available for retail purchase.

Ultimate - Take the time to read what this is. It has features that you seriously will not be using at home, lol
Suggested retail price for full package product, $399.00 USD. Suggested upgrade retail price, $259.00 USD.

Theres also Windows Vista Starter, which is supposed to help guide and teach people how to use a PC. It's got interactive tutorials on everything to help walk you through whatever. Its not going to be available in the US or Canada for that matter though, so its price isn't listed either.

« Last Edit: November 30, 2006, 10:55:31 pm by Drakonis »

Lysix

« Reply #31 on: November 30, 2006, 10:55:30 pm »
So you mean, if i buy the upgrade, that'd upgrade my XP version to Vista? For that price? Wows.

Offline Drakonis

• Fighter from Ninne
  • Community Supporter
« Reply #32 on: November 30, 2006, 10:57:06 pm »
So you mean, if i buy the upgrade, that'd upgrade my XP version to Vista? For that price? Wows.

Yep.

The full package cost refers to installing Vista fresh on a machine that does NOT have XP installed on it.

The upgrade refers to upgrading an XP machine to Vista.

Those prices in my opinion are very, very reasonable.

Edit:
Oh... and the retail packages that you can buy in stores have a release date of Jan 30th 2007 I believe. Business units will be getting them in December 2006. I don't recall off the top of my head when the new PC's will start shipping with them. Its on or before Jan 30th 2007 though. That's right around the corner. The release information is also on Microsofts Vista experience website.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2006, 11:03:17 pm by Drakonis »

Lysix

« Reply #33 on: November 30, 2006, 11:07:40 pm »
I may wait a while before upgrading. I'm worried about old stuff not working on Vista.

Offline Fallout

• Machinae Prime
« Reply #34 on: November 30, 2006, 11:09:33 pm »
Cheers Drakonis, seems I was wrong. I just googled for the prices, but I guess that news item that I pasted those off was old..

Jan 30th? I'll be buying a new pc around then in the sales, so I'll probably pick up Vista while I'm at it :)

£82 is a bargain - I'm just hoping they dont increase the UK retail price (ala Sony with PS3)

I may wait a while before upgrading. I'm worried about old stuff not working on Vista.

Dual boot ;)

Lysix

« Reply #35 on: November 30, 2006, 11:20:55 pm »
Dual boot ;)

Haha, not with this PC. :P
£80 for home premium is awesome. I'm liking the 3d window preview thingy too. Endless fun!

Offline Drakonis

• Fighter from Ninne
  • Community Supporter
« Reply #36 on: November 30, 2006, 11:31:20 pm »
Cheers Drakonis, seems I was wrong. I just googled for the prices, but I guess that news item that I pasted those off was old..

Jan 30th? I'll be buying a new pc around then in the sales, so I'll probably pick up Vista while I'm at it :)

£82 is a bargain - I'm just hoping they dont increase the UK retail price (ala Sony with PS3)

Dual boot ;)

Heh yeah, that doesnt account for any market price difference. I dont think it'd be that extreme if at all though.

If you're buying a new PC prebuilt around that time, it'll probably come with Vista. I know Best Buy is giving away vouchers for a copy of Vista with new PC purchases (my friend got one last month and has a reciept for a free upgrade to Vista (i think he got a Premium one, but the cheaper pc's had a voucher for basic or you could pay the price difference and upgrade to premium if memory serves correctly).

In any case, you may end up with Vista.

I am curious about the compatibility but they did a considerable job with XP's compatability so I have a feeling XP programs will run fine on Vista.

Lysix

« Reply #37 on: November 30, 2006, 11:36:50 pm »
Which is why i may most probably wait. I wanna make sure theres no reports of certain things not working.

Offline Fallout

• Machinae Prime
« Reply #38 on: November 30, 2006, 11:48:13 pm »
Yeah; apparently everything XP will work on Vista - But I'll dual-boot just in case ;)

Offline Drakonis

• Fighter from Ninne
  • Community Supporter
« Reply #39 on: November 30, 2006, 11:52:54 pm »
If I could still get the Vista Beta release candidate (the latest one) I'd probably go ahead and format and switch to it now to be honest. That'd give me until June to buy it, lol

Offline Torp v2.0

• Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
  • Happiness is Mandatory!
    • My homepage
« Reply #40 on: December 01, 2006, 08:45:30 am »
I won't be getting Vista until I get a new PC, which should probably be after the spring exams of 2007. So I'll get to wait until June, actually.

I do share Lysix apprehension. My laptop, which is my primary computer at the moment (and has been for over two years now), will keep the XP.
...why Torp was picked over you... HE'S JUST BETTER THAN YOU IN EVERY RESPECT. -SomethingGood
<Radicz0r> Torp is well prepared for universal destruction

[03:18:49] <WereVolvo> ARCTIC
[03:18:51] <WereVolvo> not arctic

Offline Fallout

• Machinae Prime
« Reply #41 on: December 01, 2006, 12:11:53 pm »
Seems everyone's getting Vista around it's release date. This must be a positive thing :)

Offline Torp v2.0

• Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
  • Happiness is Mandatory!
    • My homepage
« Reply #42 on: December 01, 2006, 05:40:23 pm »
Yep. Means it will be more thoroughly tested by the date I get it ;D
...why Torp was picked over you... HE'S JUST BETTER THAN YOU IN EVERY RESPECT. -SomethingGood
<Radicz0r> Torp is well prepared for universal destruction

[03:18:49] <WereVolvo> ARCTIC
[03:18:51] <WereVolvo> not arctic

Offline Fallout

• Machinae Prime
« Reply #43 on: December 01, 2006, 07:15:53 pm »
Yep. Means it will be more thoroughly tested by the date I get it ;D

Dont you mean the forums will be discussing it and you'll eavesdrop? ;)

Offline cloudstrifex

« Reply #44 on: December 01, 2006, 10:35:16 pm »
My friend said he was getting it. Do you think Windows will be gay and make it so only one copy can be used on one computer?