Author Topic: Machinae Supremacy Line-up Change!  (Read 25834 times)

Offline robert

• Baka
  • Band Member
  • \,,/_(o-O)_,,i,.
    • Machinae Supremacy
Machinae Supremacy Line-up Change!
« on: November 23, 2006, 06:02:34 PM »
! ! ! FAN COURTESY ANNOUNCEMENT ! ! !
We've made a change in the band line-up!

But don't worry, all the members remain  ::). But we've changed things around a little.
Check it out:

Gaz       vocals (only, most of the time)
Gibli       lead guitar (and backing vocals)
Gordon                 rhythm guitar (and backing vocals)
Poe      bass guitar (and backing vocals)
Tomas      drums

As you can see, there's no one playing the keyboards in this line-up. The synths and SIDs will be automated in the background. I've turned over my guitar to Gordon. Now, before you do something crazy, like pretend this is the end of the world, or go out rampaging in the street, raping teenagers and killing policemen, or compare us to depeche mode and say "you guyzzez R nuthin w/o teh k33boredz, plz ffs!!", please do check out my nice little mini-FAQ that covers the questions I was able to predict in advance, mk? thx.

Peace in the IRL  :P
/R

= Q1: Why?

There are 5 reasons:

1. Gordon and I prefer it.
We examined what we could improve with our performance, and one thing I felt was crucial was that I get to focus on vocals only - which means I'd have to turn over guitar-playing to someone else. We've had the idea to incorporate automated synth background (and a click-track for tomas) for a year or two now, and we realized that if we did this now, we could pluck away the keyboards from our stage performance, and let Gordon take over my role as rhythm guitar player (being, as many of you may be unaware of, originally a guitarist). This is what he wants, and it is what I want.

...Oh, and so you don't misunderstand me, the rest of the guys are onboard with this also. :)

2. Better synth output live
One of the main complaints on MaSu live shows have been that the synths are not audible enough. Giving the sound guy a simple, pre-mastered synth output to deal with will make his job easier, as well as ensure the output strength in volume that is needed.

3. More synths, strings and SID live
Yes, it's amazing isn't it? Some songs and parts of songs have more stuff than we can handle in real-time, so live we've compromised and only played some parts in the past. Other parts have a beat-matched rhythm, like some SID arpeggios (Blind Dog Pride, Ninja, etc), requiring Tomas to play after the synths and not the other way around - something above our technical abilities before. This is no longer a problem. Maybe now you can expect to hear some songs live that you never heard before, as well as sounds in songs you've felt were missing (although this could also be because of the problem in the previous point (check above)). ;-) In other words, live shows will be more true to the original material.

4. Better live performance
With our old setup, both me and Gordon were locked in place at our positions on stage, me behind a stationary mic, and Gordon behind the keyboards. This is no longer the case.

5. Logistics
Not something most of you would care about, but for us this makes travelling and gigs easier. We get a nice 20-25kgs cut from the gear we bring and have to stuff into the van when we go to gigs. And they take up a fuck-of-a-lot of space, too.

= Q2: Why now?

We've been wanting to do this, talking about it for quite some time. I remember mentioning this idea, among others, to Poe first time I talked to him about joining the band, but we've stuck with our old ways because they were comfortable and we never had a long time inbetween gigs to change and re-learn. Now it feels like we're at a crossroads where we'll be getting bigger and more serious gigs, and we know that _some_ parts of our performance has never really improved during the years, and so this became the solution. Now or never, right? We decided to take this time to make this transition and take time to adjust. We've had to turn down 2 gigs because of it, but it's going to be worth it.

= Q3: "Click-track", "synths automated in the background"... I don't get with it all means???

Don't worry. This is music-tech theory and practice and really has no importance in the grand scheme of things, from a fan perspective anyway, and if this stuff doesn't make sense to you, than you're unlikely to care about it anyway. Continue to enjoy Machinae Supremacy music and gigs just like before. But some people will have issues with this, like we've seen so many times in the past whenever we do something new, that it felt necessary to write a little FAQ, more for them than anyone else.

= Q4: But but but... Gordon's always played the Keyboards!?! What does this mean to the songwriting process?

The songwriting process doesn't change. We're still making the songs the way we've always made them. With us, it's not about each member fighting to be heard while doing his own thing. We all play several instruments and we make the songs together. We include the parts that fit, and leave out the ones that don't. What you see me or Jonne or Tomas or whoever play live may actually be something written by another member entirely. My point is, who plays what live doesn't matter to the creative process behind the material.

= Q5: So like… This is not just a way for you guys to phase out synths and SID from your musix0rz, slowly but surely like the cr33ping death from above?

No. Nevah.

= Q6: "Automated in the background"??? Sounds like some sort of playback bullshit that's totally fake and turns you all into posers!!?

We've decided that if it's good enough for "In Flames", "Evergray", "Linkin Park", "H.I.M.", "Garbage", "Slipknot", "Rammstein", ”Dream Evil” and "Marilyn Manson", then it's good enough for us.

It's my job to keep SID elite.

---

<WereVolvo> you can't brain today, you have the dumb?

Offline mumppis

• I Know The mumppis
Re: Machinae Supremacy Line-up Change!
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2006, 06:04:19 PM »
stickyfied

Offline robert

• Baka
  • Band Member
  • \,,/_(o-O)_,,i,.
    • Machinae Supremacy
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2006, 06:08:02 PM »
Some follow-up info...

We've been rehearsing with this new setup for a while now and from the first day we knew we wanted to continue like this. It's working great, and sounds great too.

Tomas has way better monitor-hearing with the click-track and all, and Gordon is learning the songs nicely (he already knows how to play guitar, so that's not a problem).

Trust me, friends... You're gonna lub thiz.

---

Offline mumppis

• I Know The mumppis
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2006, 06:09:00 PM »
i dont wanna lube then band but i love then gaz ;) cant wait to hear the new setup

Offline MashedByMachines

• That guy
  • Community Supporter
  • Skala lök?
    • Music
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2006, 06:14:40 PM »
woah, something big is definately happening :)
nice

http://mashedbymachines.newgrounds.com/

Believing in a zombieman from outer space who is his own father is pretty funny, but that's not what MaSu is about //yas

Offline Fensty

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2006, 06:17:31 PM »
I guess this also helps with Gordon missing his cue, like i heard he did with an earlier concert (Lappfejden?)  :P
I Reject Your Reality, And Substitute My Own.

Offline refic

• mr. banjoles
  • Administrator
  • Machinae Prime
  • mr. banjoles
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2006, 06:19:01 PM »
Hehe, sounds absolutely cool. I look forward to see this new line-up! ;)

Offline MashedByMachines

• That guy
  • Community Supporter
  • Skala lök?
    • Music
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2006, 06:20:12 PM »
and plz post some pictures from rehersals  :D

http://mashedbymachines.newgrounds.com/

Believing in a zombieman from outer space who is his own father is pretty funny, but that's not what MaSu is about //yas

Offline robert

• Baka
  • Band Member
  • \,,/_(o-O)_,,i,.
    • Machinae Supremacy
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2006, 06:21:14 PM »
I might actually do that, Mashed... :)

---

Lysix

« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2006, 06:21:56 PM »
Lmao.
This is legendary.
I love it!

Does sadden me that you're abandoning freshly played synth live, though. But as long as the keys are still HEARD then i couldn't care less.

GORDON, GIVE ME YOUR KEYBOARDS PLZ.

Edit: Wow, the tours page is up? I sense something big coming on. ;)
« Last Edit: November 23, 2006, 06:28:59 PM by Lysix »

Offline Zombie With Style

• Sleep and fade away for I've got the style!
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2006, 06:31:56 PM »
Well at first I was affraid you guys were ditching the SIDstation (silly me...) but I guess thats for the best. So good luck with that, hearing Gordon play the gitar will be interesting indeed

P.S. Does Linkin Park acctually play ANY of their stuff live? I didn't know they were good to preform without having their songs played prerecorded[/linkin park bashing]

Offline Kobi

« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2006, 06:35:38 PM »
Wow this was the most intersting news I read in over three months! And it sounds as a nice lineup as well. And now you really gotta get down to southern sweden again for a gig :P And I sure hope we get some taste of this new music lineup as well ;) Its been a while since you guys presented any new song.

Offline Fallout

• Machinae Prime
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2006, 06:51:38 PM »
Awesome! :)

I know a lot of people will complain about this change*, but I definately see it as a positive one ;D

*EDIT: ..and Fiindil will end up topping himself
« Last Edit: November 23, 2006, 06:53:41 PM by Fallout »

Offline Torp v2.0

• Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
  • Happiness is Mandatory!
    • My homepage
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2006, 06:52:19 PM »
I now officially hate the entire band! You suxx0rs wildly!

Nah. Robert's making a good case for the lineup change. In Robert We Trust.
...why Torp was picked over you... HE'S JUST BETTER THAN YOU IN EVERY RESPECT. -SomethingGood
<Radicz0r> Torp is well prepared for universal destruction

[03:18:49] <WereVolvo> ARCTIC
[03:18:51] <WereVolvo> not arctic

Offline robert

• Baka
  • Band Member
  • \,,/_(o-O)_,,i,.
    • Machinae Supremacy
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2006, 07:00:54 PM »
Yeah I'm sooooo looking forward to making the third album now...

With this, with Poe, and with Spinefarm, it's like the universe is summoning for a new Machinae Supremacy album right about now... Our goal is to try to make as many songs as possible now during winter, and then beg Spinefarm to pwease welease new abulum soon mkthx!!!! ffs.

Level-up.

---