Author Topic: Singing tips.  (Read 7305 times)

Lysix

Singing tips.
« on: November 23, 2006, 04:57:12 pm »
So, I'm trying to record a few songs for this small project I'm taking on. I won't bother to spill any details, as nobody will care anyway. :)

The thing is, i want to sing on these songs, because i feel i'm more capable of expressing the lyrics written than somebody else. I have a basic voice going, but it still feels a bit out.
Are there any (good) singers around? If so, could you possibly share some tips on how to perfect a basic singing voice? Also, how long did it take for you to find your "style"?

Thanks. :)
« Last Edit: November 23, 2006, 05:03:06 pm by Lysix »

Offline Fallout

• Machinae Prime
Re: Singing tips.
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2006, 05:25:39 pm »
Try different styles, projecting your voice from different parts of your throat (or even your nose). Just keep practicing whatever you think sounds best, and you'll find your style through experience.

I think you'd do a good whiney singing voice, you already have the right pitch and tone for it ;)

Offline Ant

• Donated so refic can buy beer
  • Community Supporter
  • Machinae Prime
  • It's personal text.
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2006, 07:47:09 pm »
Or he could do some research into aristocratic singing :D
But if one day we meet together while I'm drunk, I promise you to draw a big group sex picture including a lot of forumites. :D

Ich bin ein Berliner, Frankfurter, Hamburger und Bonner

Lysix

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2006, 07:52:56 pm »
I think you'd do a good whiney singing voice, you already have the right pitch and tone for it ;)

Define?

Offline Jack Lupino

• Worst Dude
  • Machinae Prime
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2006, 10:03:48 pm »
Don't listen to him, post a sample and we can give you some pointers.

MDX

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2006, 11:39:18 pm »
sing something your comfortable with and something youre not so comfortable with in the recording, its better to see how to improve your comfort zones when singing and then look at what you can practice to work your way up to tackling the less comfortable pieces.

Offline Fallout

• Machinae Prime
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2006, 02:21:19 am »

Define?

Try singing like rob. :)

Offline ~futilite~

• I have the [Sticky Lizard's Socks of Coolness] :)
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2006, 10:34:22 pm »
I'm not a siger in a band or something, I just sing for myself and don't want anyone (anyone!) to hear it. I also don't know how my singing sounds then.
But I tried (and liked) singing sometimes louder and sometimes lower... I don't know if that is already well-known everywhere and I am just late to find it but I like it... as far as I can hear myself.

Offline Ant

• Donated so refic can buy beer
  • Community Supporter
  • Machinae Prime
  • It's personal text.
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2006, 11:21:43 pm »
I'm not a siger in a band or something, I just sing for myself and don't want anyone (anyone!) to hear it. I also don't know how my singing sounds then.
But I tried (and liked) singing sometimes louder and sometimes lower... I don't know if that is already well-known everywhere and I am just late to find it but I like it... as far as I can hear myself.

Now you are just asking us to demand a sound clip ;D
But if one day we meet together while I'm drunk, I promise you to draw a big group sex picture including a lot of forumites. :D

Ich bin ein Berliner, Frankfurter, Hamburger und Bonner

Offline UsuallySaNe

« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2006, 06:23:52 am »
I sing a bunch, and it comes mostly down to experience. I find that if you're going for expression (phrasing and such as well), say the lyrics first, in the way you'd say a poem. Remember that, then sing it. Go for what feels natural with your tone - but if it's whiny or a bright kinda sound, I'd suggest against that, for some find it annoying, including me. ( A sound more like "ee" with your mouth horizontal is more bright, compared to an "ah" with your mouth vertical. It's kinda hard to explain. ) Try to get constructive feedback from friends and folks in the band to get a sound that is appealing but still your own.

When I sing with my own "style" it was really just what felt right. Do it enough - sing it to yourself, and I'm sure it'll sound fine. I take voice lessons, which of course has altered my tone and such for the better, but I also can't really remember what I sounded like before it.

But yeah, you can always send me a clip and I can critique it if you'd like. Even though I just joined... that's fine though. Good luck with the band. = :D

=U=

*Edit* Sorry for necroing. >_<

Offline Jack Lupino

• Worst Dude
  • Machinae Prime
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2006, 08:07:20 am »
Been a singer for 3 years, so i technically *could* post something if you'd need.

Offline Fallout

• Machinae Prime
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2006, 07:10:26 pm »
Been a singer for 3 years, so i technically *could* post something if you'd need.

Oh god no :P

Offline Spectrums

• Composer
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2006, 07:45:10 pm »
Ahh! Not that!  8)
KZ.AM/
STOP
SOPA
Sigs images are max 300*100 pixels - mod team

"Step into our mortal dance - and taste the subtle clad romance" - Nemesis

Offline Jack Lupino

• Worst Dude
  • Machinae Prime
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2006, 07:47:07 pm »
I've got a killer voice, watch out ;)

Lysix

« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2006, 07:56:46 pm »
I've been trying some styles recently, and i think im nearing the sound that suits me most. Shaun was right in a way, i can sound like robert (but obviously nothing near as good), but its not a style i want to go into. Once i get some stuff recorded next year I'll post it here.
Rad, upload you singing. plz. :P