Author Topic: Ps3 released and 6 (?) people died  (Read 6810 times)

Offline Jack Lupino

• Worst Dude
  • Machinae Prime
Ps3 released and 6 (?) people died
« on: November 21, 2006, 01:26:49 am »
I heard that the ps3 was released and people got shot, mugged, and kicked their faces in, because thye all wanted the ps3, or something ?

Someone tell me if this is true.

Offline harvey danger

• Machinae Prime
  • Werd
Re: Ps3 released and 6 (?) people died
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2006, 01:40:25 am »
Yes it is.

There's probably videos floating around of the people getting trampled while running to the boxes.

The Best Buy in Boston (alliteration, whee) is the only store, as far as I know, that did something smart and actually handed out tickets to the people waiting in line. So if they had a ticket, they got a PS3; if they didn't have one, then no PS3.
That's the problem with heroes, really. Their only purpose in life is to thwart others. They make no plans, develop no strategies. They react instead of act. Without villains, heroes would stagnate. Without heroes, villains would be running the world. Heroes have morals. Villains have work ethic.

Offline Jack Lupino

• Worst Dude
  • Machinae Prime
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2006, 01:46:08 am »
A man was shot early on Friday morning outside a Wal-Mart store in Connecticut while waiting to buy a new Sony Playstation 3, state police said.

He was one of 15 to 20 people lined up outside the store when confronted by two armed men who demanded money at around 3:15 a.m., Lt. J. Paul Vance said in a press release.

Police said the victim had confronted the armed suspects and was shot. He was treated at the scene and transported to the University of Massachusetts Medical Center across the state line.

Police were searching for the two suspects.

Gamers were lined up by the thousands across the United States and Canada early on Friday, aiming to be among the first in North America to buy the PS3, the coveted multimedia and video game machine considered key to the future of the beleaguered electronics and media conglomerate.

It gets better

Already 2 known deaths
One was a robber trying to burgle a place for the PS3, shot and killed by police. The other was mugged and stabbed minutes after buying a PS3 and later died.

All this because Sony bought a vendetta against all the online companies that were selling the PS3 from other countries and also cut off the largest web based supply route for the PS3 to people.

Lets see what the new year brings. Gonna be many more deaths for PS3 - gonna be named the bloodiest console ever.

So far Sony, the PS3, the large money the PS3 and the Store not having security guards have been blamed.

Offline L'homme magique

• Machinae Prime
  • Stay Calm
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2006, 02:15:56 am »
All this because Sony bought a vendetta against all the online companies that were selling the PS3 from other countries and also cut off the largest web based supply route for the PS3 to people.
hay guys i spilled mcds in my lap lets sue them ok
"It's like growing up reading good books or listening to good music. One good sofa breeds another good sofa; one bad sofa breeds another bad sofa. That's how it goes."

Offline harvey danger

• Machinae Prime
  • Werd
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2006, 02:21:52 am »
Gamers were lined up by the thousands across the United States and Canada early on Friday, aiming to be among the first in North America to buy the PS3, the coveted multimedia and video game machine considered key to the future of the beleaguered electronics and media conglomerate.

Beleaguered?  :P

What happened to all the hundreds of other products they sell...?

That's the problem with heroes, really. Their only purpose in life is to thwart others. They make no plans, develop no strategies. They react instead of act. Without villains, heroes would stagnate. Without heroes, villains would be running the world. Heroes have morals. Villains have work ethic.

Offline Ant

• Donated so refic can buy beer
  • Community Supporter
  • Machinae Prime
  • It's personal text.
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2006, 02:29:44 am »
That's why their sales are so low, the customers go odwn with cash and get robbed on the way
But if one day we meet together while I'm drunk, I promise you to draw a big group sex picture including a lot of forumites. :D

Ich bin ein Berliner, Frankfurter, Hamburger und Bonner

Offline cloudstrifex

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2006, 02:45:57 am »
That's why their sales are so low, the customers go odwn with cash and get robbed on the way

What kind of messed up world do we live in?

Offline Fallout

• Machinae Prime
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2006, 02:59:33 am »
* Fallout sings

Maaaaad woooorrrllld....

Offline Gravehill

• Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
  • Dignity! Strength! Love!
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2006, 03:27:04 am »

What kind of messed up world do we live in?
Why in hell people are so hasty to get their piece of garbage-metal? No game is worth dying for. I mean, why people do hurry to get some game or console? They are not going to extinct or anything. If one waits for year or two their prices get lower and there are lot more games too. And one eventually know what games (or consoles) are worth purchasing and gets them all cheaper. There are so much media in world! And especially those who wait and fight for their consoles have large collections of equipment and media! If one gets bored for their media there are only two reasons for that : a) fault is in media which does not last multiple usages b) fault is in media user. Usually it's alternative b. Various forms of media had become drug for people. And although those drugs are evolving their lifespan has grown shorter. And so has becomed people's patience. If adult can't wait for his candy for some days, months or years there are certainly something wrong. It's sad fact though that gamers usually lack ability or courage to look at mirror and reflect and think more deeply their attitude towards games.

Yes, I'm gamer too. Yes, I have sometimes slept too little because gaming sessions have gotten too long and I've lost sense of time. Yes, it does mean that I've problem with gaming. My last drug was Sid Meier's Pirates! which I have been playing two or three hours per day. Last drug before that was Need For Speed Most Wanted and before that Mount & Blade. I don't play daily, there are long periods of times when I can't play, even months. When I can play there's always days between when I can't play. Those days annoys me but I can withstand it. That's what kind of dependence I have on games. Good side is that I don't have constant urge to buy new media since I have them so much - there is always some old game or movie that I can play or watch again. Another good side is that losing couple of hours of sleep is worst sacrifice I have done for medias. I do my social tasks and interactions normally, they have not affected my work or social life. But still I'm dependant of them and since I know that I try to minimize risks and damages.

Other reasons for that kind of behaviour is mass hysteria and modern world's rapid life cycle. Modern world runs 24/7 and people try to be up-to-date on every single news and happening around them. When there's so much information leaking so fast from everywhere it's so easy to lose one's sense of proportionality.

People when crowded usually do stupid things since man has not been created for crowds. Things go easily to competition situation and when that's on none can predict what the consequences are (what means participant use to get their goal).

In short : nothing new in this situation. People have always acted like that. It's sad thou that now it happens for some game...
Random ramblings and furious feminine novels per versatility.

Offline Ant

• Donated so refic can buy beer
  • Community Supporter
  • Machinae Prime
  • It's personal text.
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2006, 03:30:32 am »
Infact if you think about it, the one's wo are messed up are indded the console buyers, the robbers were just taking advantage of their foolishness
But if one day we meet together while I'm drunk, I promise you to draw a big group sex picture including a lot of forumites. :D

Ich bin ein Berliner, Frankfurter, Hamburger und Bonner

Offline L'homme magique

• Machinae Prime
  • Stay Calm
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2006, 06:37:17 am »
... No.

Why in hell people are so hasty to get their piece of garbage-metal? No game is worth dying for.
Yeah, I'm sure people walked down to Wal-Mart thinking to themselves, "Gee, I'd sure give my life for this PS3!" They wanted to play the game. Nobody was planning on getting shot or trampled, so stop making it seem like they were.
I mean, why people do hurry to get some game or console? They are not going to extinct or anything.
Either you're so far removed from consumer culture that you sit on your ass all day and do nothing, or you're seriously trying to be stupid. There are always early adopters. People have been looking forward to the PS3 for years, and now it's finally out. They want to play games. Those fucks, how dare they want to play games.
If one waits for year or two their prices get lower and there are lot more games too.
Everyone waits a year or two, it does go extinct.
If one gets bored for their media there are only two reasons for that : a) fault is in media which does not last multiple usages b) fault is in media user. Usually it's alternative b. Various forms of media had become drug for people. And although those drugs are evolving their lifespan has grown shorter.
Yeah, gee, god damn. I guess I just SUCK ASS for not wanting to watch the same movies over and over again, read the same books over and over again, play the same games over and over again. I'm just some kind of a druggie, because I want to play new games.
If adult can't wait for his candy for some days, months or years there are certainly something wrong. It's sad fact though that gamers usually lack ability or courage to look at mirror and reflect and think more deeply their attitude towards games.
The World According to Gravehill doesn't sound like a very fun place to me. Once again, those fucks. Wanting to play games. Assholes.
"I'm addicted to games, but I'm not an asshole like those idiots"
That's nice. I still don't see where you get this idea that people who want to stand in lines have something fundamentally wrong with them. I would have stood in lines if I had money on hand. (BUT LOL, MAGICMAN, YOU HAVE SOMETHING WRONG WITH YOU ANYWAY ^___^)
People when crowded usually do stupid things since man has not been created for crowds.
Man is a social creature. Even when not talking to people, we like talking to people. See: this forum, instant messenger, et cetera. I don't see where you get this "man is not a crowd kinda guy" idea. Man cannot survive without crowds.
Yes, and that's why the damn thing is sold out. Brilliant!
Infact if you think about it, the one's wo are messed up are indded the console buyers, the robbers were just taking advantage of their foolishness
"I'm going to move to Gravehill-Land because Gravehill makes long posts, so he's ONE COOL MOTHERFUCKER."

edit
I had better add a disclaimer saying that I have no plans to follow up on this post.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2006, 06:40:55 am by chipichickickipichi »
"It's like growing up reading good books or listening to good music. One good sofa breeds another good sofa; one bad sofa breeds another bad sofa. That's how it goes."

Offline PrescriptiveBarony

• Machinae Prime
  • Let there be blacklight.
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2006, 07:03:57 am »
I appreciate your contrarianship, magicman, but think you are a bit harsh. People got killed or at least maimed for the 360, and the hype and low-stockmanship of the PS3 meant that an overblown and quite probably dangerous rush would happen for it too.

Yeah, people want to be early adopters but it's only a symptom of an individualistic society which prizes such nonsense. The desire to play games is likewise not a valid reason to make an unnecessary big deal about anything. If people can't restrain their adhd-like desire for the newest shiny, then perhaps they should go home and rethink their lives (nerd reference!).

that said, it would be silly to claim all lovers of gaming to be insane in some sort of membrane or on the wrong life path, as is evinced by gravehill's diatribe in favor of himself which you so rightly pointed out, but people have gotten along just fine without video games for several thousand years, so they can't be all that important.

this, however, i can only hope is sarcasm. we're all crazy, but getting to the point where you are willing to physically attack someone in order to take his gaming console is crazier than tom cruise.

Quote from: Drakonis
Everybody should just <3.

Offline Gravehill

• Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
  • Dignity! Strength! Love!
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2006, 01:37:39 pm »
I had better add a disclaimer saying that I have no plans to follow up on this post.
That's nice. Let some steam out and then run away. Looking in the mirror hurts, doesn't it? Oh right. You don't follow this post.

Yeah, I'm sure people walked down to Wal-Mart thinking to themselves, "Gee, I'd sure give my life for this PS3!" They wanted to play the game. Nobody was planning on getting shot or trampled, so stop making it seem like they were.
Well... For me standing front of some shop all night just to get something first seems not too smart thing to do. If you're going to stand somewhere in the streets all night with possibly several hundreds cash (or other valuables) you bound to get trouble. Street robbers are not so common in Finland but this kind of situation would most likely provoke someone to take advantage of this situation. And someone who claims that they did not see it coming... Everytime when you go somewhere where is big crowd gathering there is possibility that some sort of violence occuring. That's why in concerts and other big happenings there are guards and all sorts of security staff and medics. Outside Wal-Marts there's none. There is crowd and no-one controlling it. When you go there you take risk. It's your call. But hey, if you don't want to see that risk or just want to be ignorant it's your call.

Either you're so far removed from consumer culture that you sit on your ass all day and do nothing, or you're seriously trying to be stupid. There are always early adopters. People have been looking forward to the PS3 for years, and now it's finally out. They want to play games. Those fucks, how dare they want to play games.
I'm not "far removed from consumer culture" since that's basicly impossible in modern society. I do not grow my own food, I buy it. I don't do my own clothes, I buy them. But there are many degrees on everything, extremities. If one does not want to stand in line for 24 hours it does not mean that he is sitting on his ass all day doing nothing. And besides, isn't sitting on your ass and being able to NOT do anything (related to everyday RL) gaming's essential nature. Early adopters, I do understand them. Problem is that this whole system has gone way out of hands. There is lack of sense of proportionality, no matter how you watch it. Nowadays it's not just gaming. For example people are doing desperate things for ability to watch movie in it's premiere for example. And on next day or next week they could do it with less nuisance. It would still be same movie, same everything. Same thing with consoles. There's no need to hurry.

Everyone waits a year or two, it does go extinct.
I have never had any problems finding those things I want later and cheaper. They do not extinct. Where's PS2? Still available. PS1? Still available. There's no need to hurry since when those lines in factories are doing their job they will do consoles so they will be available for everyone who wants them. They are not going to stop line because first weeks sales are lame. They have used years for doing product and worst thing that could happen is that they might lower prices to attract more people to buy them. Or then make another version of it. And you can always buy one as second hand after some years...

I
Yeah, gee, god damn. I guess I just SUCK ASS for not wanting to watch the same movies over and over again, read the same books over and over again, play the same games over and over again. I'm just some kind of a druggie, because I want to play new games.
Playing new games, there's nothing wrong with it. My main critic was pointed towards modern disposable-media culture. Massive amounts of energy, material and effort are used to produce product. Then one uses it once and then forgets. It's not sensible on any means. Consumer, when doing this, supports this disposable-culture system. If one does realize that media can be used many times and that there are OLD media available too (I doubt that no one has played every good game through on any platform). There's so much media that there is abundance, even oversupply of media available. Why to use one's energy so much when there's so much old media available at reasonable price?

"I'm addicted to games, but I'm not an asshole like those idiots"
If one does drink alcohol he is not better than alcoholic. If one does use medicine he is absolutely abuser. Yeah, you are right, right? What I meant that is that I know how it feels to be game addict. I too feel that need. But realizing problem and trying to minimize risks and damage, I think it's only sensible. Everyone makes their own decisions what they want to do. If they don't want to see problem it's their choice. Maybe those things does not even bother them, that gaming is first and other things like job, social relationship and all else comes second. People are dying because games. They do sit before games 24 hours per day for couple of day and then die. They forget their baby at home and play WoW 'till baby dies. Yes, gaming is not problem and no one should never think about what risks are involved.

That's nice. I still don't see where you get this idea that people who want to stand in lines have something fundamentally wrong with them.
Their life, their choice. I just don't see any sensibility in that behaviour.  I still don't see where people get idea that standing in lines waiting for some console is somehow sensible thing to do or that there is something that someone really could gain from that.

Man is a social creature. Even when not talking to people, we like talking to people. See: this forum, instant messenger, et cetera. I don't see where you get this "man is not a crowd kinda guy" idea. Man cannot survive without crowds.
Man can survive without crowds. There are many who lives among nature : hunting, fishing, gathering their food. They are solitary men or families. It has been this way since dawn of man. True, man need company. That's about 20-30 important persons. But there are certain limits for that too. Crowds create problems. Just think about those million-people cities for example. There are generally more problems than in little villages. Rock concerts and festivals - there are violence, even death. Mass hysteria. Big masses are unpredictable. It does not take but a little spark and people start dying. Forums, IM's and other things are controlled environments and so are concerts and such. Still : more people, more problem. And if you force people to stay at same space for prolonged time (at line or jail for example) there is going to be problems. Hell, if there are two people who do not leave home every now and then there are going to be problems too! Man needs space too. And standing in line is not social behaviour, IMO, especially if people are fighting to get their piece first.
Random ramblings and furious feminine novels per versatility.

Offline Jack Lupino

• Worst Dude
  • Machinae Prime
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2006, 01:49:43 pm »
Gravehill, you do realize people got robbed and shot because they were carrying large amounts of money, right ?

the customers wanted to buy as many ps3's as they could and then sell it on ebay for 6000 Dollars.

The top bid is 7.600 dollars at the moment.

Consider this shit's all about money. No wonder people die.

Offline Fallout

• Machinae Prime
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2006, 02:13:22 pm »
INTERNET IS SERIOUS BUSINESS