Author Topic: Buying a Guitar..  (Read 27463 times)

Offline Fallout

• Machinae Prime
Buying a Guitar..
« on: November 16, 2006, 12:31:45 pm »
Now I'm earning money I need a friggin hobby besides computer games..

So I decided im buying a guitar. I've only played guitar once at a friends place and I was pretty shit, but I'm willing to learn and I'm pretty enthusiastic about it, because I really need a hobby :/

So, my question to you is, what guitar should I get? What are the price ranges? What about amps?

I earn £725 a month, pay £200 to my mum for housekeeping, and I'm paying about £150 towards a Wii in December from my wages, so that leaves me with £375 to buy a guitar and an amp. (And I also want to save some of that money too, because I'm planning on buying a new pc - so.. .say... £150-200 (£200 being the very maximum)

Offline Ant

• Donated so refic can buy beer
  • Community Supporter
  • Machinae Prime
  • It's personal text.
Re: Buying a Guitar..
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2006, 01:23:29 pm »
If you are really serious about this, save some money up to get a real decent, sexy one, you don't want to end up with on that is complete shit
But if one day we meet together while I'm drunk, I promise you to draw a big group sex picture including a lot of forumites. :D

Ich bin ein Berliner, Frankfurter, Hamburger und Bonner

Offline Fallout

• Machinae Prime
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2006, 01:45:08 pm »
I did ask about price ranges..

That means I dont know how much guitars tend to cost, hence, I dont know how much to save up, and I dont know what a "decent, sexy one" is.

Offline Fallout

• Machinae Prime
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2006, 02:12:26 pm »
Btw, theres an instrument store just up the road from where I work, so I'll go there and ask for some advice, take some pictures and jot down some names and come back here and post what Im thinking of buying etc.

Offline Ant

• Community Supporter
  • Machinae Prime
  • It's personal text.
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2006, 02:19:38 pm »
I think Rad is the guy to ask about guitars anyway, hell if you need to know about how to play like funny stuff come to me, and that's only if it's keyboard...why am i in this thread...bye!
But if one day we meet together while I'm drunk, I promise you to draw a big group sex picture including a lot of forumites. :D

Offline Fallout

• Machinae Prime
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2006, 03:58:00 pm »
Just got back from the instrument store, they have some nice starter packs, and I've pretty much decided which one I want. Luckily, it's right on my budget at £199.

It comes with a pretty awesome guitar, a small amp, strap, case, picks, and beginner manuals and books etc.

It has a Hot Rails pickup, giving it a very heavy sound. The guy helping me out said something along the lines of it "cuts off" part of the sound though, keeping that flat, heavy tone. I'm not sure if this is a good thing or not?

It looked very easy to play, too. He said "its not like dragging your fingers accross a cheese grater" as he just lightly tapped the strings, it still sounded awesome.

I'll try and find out which guitar it is, because I cant remember it's name. I want your opinion, guys :)

Lysix

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2006, 05:04:28 pm »
I need a friggin hobby besides computer games..

Yet;

I also want to save some of that money too, because I'm planning on buying a new pc

<_<

Don't buy some shitty beginners guitar. You'll want something that can last you a while after you get the hang of things.

Offline Fallout

• Machinae Prime
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2006, 05:27:29 pm »
It isnt a beginners guitar, it's a decent guitar packaged with beginners stuff. I just got the names of the two guitars I was shown, but they didnt let me take any pictures though, so you'll have to find them on this site:

www.dawsons.co.uk

The two guitars are "LTD F-310" and "LTD Viper 10"

Are those any good?

I also want to save some of that money too, because I'm planning on buying a new pc

<_<

I said besides computer games. Just because I want a new hobby doesnt mean I have to stop my other..
« Last Edit: November 16, 2006, 05:29:34 pm by ffaalloouutt »

Lysix

« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2006, 05:38:15 pm »
It isnt a beginners guitar, it's a decent guitar packaged with beginners stuff.

As far as i know, "decent" standard guitars minus amps or additionals break into the £300+ mark. That's just me though, bonners may be overpriced. But most my friends guitars cost around that.

I said besides computer games. Just because I want a new hobby doesnt mean I have to stop my other..

i lol'ed.

Offline Fallout

• Machinae Prime
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2006, 05:43:10 pm »
It isnt a beginners guitar, it's a decent guitar packaged with beginners stuff.
As far as i know, "decent" standard guitars minus amps or additionals break into the £300+ mark. That's just me though, bonners may be overpriced. But most my friends guitars cost around that.

Well if it's a beginners guitar, I'll just buy a new one when I get better ;)

Lysix

« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2006, 05:43:40 pm »
Well if it's a beginners guitar, I'll just buy a new one when I get better ;)

That's the thing. You wanna try get something half decent now, so you don't have to spend more money later on. :)

Offline SomethingApt

• Machinae Prime
  • [this space for rent]
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2006, 05:43:49 pm »
a few days ago i bought a guitar off ebuyer.com. it cost me £58 including shipping, and came with a bag, spare strings, a pick, and a 10 watt amp.

i was expecting the shittest guitar in the history of the world, and i was pleasently surprised. it actually plays like it's worth £150-£200. now THAT is value for money ;D

Offline Fallout

• Machinae Prime
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2006, 05:45:09 pm »
a few days ago i bought a guitar off ebuyer.com. it cost me £58 including shipping, and came with a bag, spare strings, a pick, and a 10 watt amp.

i was expecting the shittest guitar in the history of the world, and i was pleasently surprised. it actually plays like it's worth £150-£200. now THAT is value for money ;D

In thaaat case... I might have a look on t'internets when i get home :)

Offline Ant

• Community Supporter
  • Machinae Prime
  • It's personal text.
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2006, 07:06:48 pm »

GAARLIC BREAD? GARLIC? on bread?

Offline Fallout

• Machinae Prime
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2006, 07:07:18 pm »

GAARLIC BREAD? GARLIC? on bread?

stfu