Author Topic: Reformatting...  (Read 9190 times)

Offline Yoji

Reformatting...
« on: November 16, 2006, 12:30:42 pm »
Ya, so basically, I got tired of all the lags and problems on my com that spyware, adware and virus programs don't fix, so I've made a backup of all my important files, and now I'm looking for a guide on how to reformat WinXP pro SP2. Anyone?

Offline Fallout

• Machinae Prime
Re: Reformatting...
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2006, 12:34:40 pm »
start>run  "cmd"

deltree c:/
y

hf

Offline Kobi

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2006, 12:36:10 pm »
If you have Windows XP on a CD then its just to insert that to your drive and set the BIOS to boot from the drive first. It should find the CD and load the install settings for windows and then its just to follow the instructions. The install guide will show you all the partitions of your drive(s) and then its just to delete the C:/ partition and reformat it. This is just how its done in general. If you got like an acer/HP/Dell then this setup might be different. Good luck ;)

Lysix

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2006, 04:49:16 pm »
Ya, so basically, I got tired of all the lags and problems on my com that spyware, adware and virus programs don't fix, so I've made a backup of all my important files, and now I'm looking for a guide on how to reformat WinXP pro SP2. Anyone?

As said above. It's pretty much essential you have the windows XP disk handy, as it guides you through things. Just reformat the partition of your drive (C, D, whatev) and let windows do it's thing.
SP2 is around on the internets somewhere.

Offline Yoji

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2006, 05:14:03 pm »
I already have SP2. Silent installer 'n' all that jazz. Just wondering whether or not to use the format option in Windows Explorer.

Actually, I might split my harddrive this time. Then I won't have to waste discs making backups next time 'round.

Lysix

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2006, 05:17:19 pm »
Sounds like a plan. :)

Offline Yoji

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2006, 05:29:52 pm »
I just checked my partitions... it tells me I have an I: partition, even though I: is a virtual drive set up by Alcohol 120%.  :P

Offline Kobi

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2006, 11:13:15 pm »
I just checked my partitions... it tells me I have an I: partition, even though I: is a virtual drive set up by Alcohol 120%.  :P

I advice you to undo all drives you've created with that software and then uninstall it to before formatting. I have no idea what the windowsinstaller can get for errors if a virtual drive is involved.

Offline evilcandybag

• of Fire
  • Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
  • Armoured Tanks of Mass Destruction
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2006, 12:10:18 pm »
Well, it can place a virtual drive as your main optical drive... Did this for me. Not that it matters, really, but it's fun to see your actual DVD drive labeled as F:.
"Actually, wooden stakes are for vampires. Wooden steaks are for vegetarians."

Offline Warrior Bob

• Rock.
    • The Fighting dot org
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2006, 03:02:10 am »
Make another backup.  "Data that you don't have at least two copies of is data you don't care about" and all that.

I'm telling this to a lot of people lately after my work lost 13 gigs of data due to a single poor backup.

Good luck with your format!

Offline Drakonis

• Fighter from Ninne
  • Community Supporter
  • "I am mine own Redeemer."
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2006, 06:39:25 pm »
If you're okay with a temp OS until June of 2007, now would be a wonderful time for you to try out the Vista Beta (Release Candidate version).

Its time based software, will work until June 2007 I believe.

If you dont have your XP disk, you could make a DVD of Vista and use that (presumably) to format your PC and then install your new OS.

By the time it's ready to expire, I'm sure you'll have an alternative OS by then (if not Vista itself).

Just an idea. I am planning on reformating earlier than I had intended just to get Vista Beta on my system.

Offline Sativa

• 1337 IRC Whore
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2006, 04:53:27 am »
You can't use the windows explorer formatting thing do format c:, As you need to be in windows to use it, but you need to be out of windows to delete windows....

Just boot from the cd and it will pretty much do it its self o_o
"The orange ones fuck you up REAL good"

"We must stop here, this is machinae country!"

Offline Yoji

« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2006, 04:09:11 pm »
All done up. I needed a graphics driver for my ATi card, which I got from the slowest site in the history of the internet, but I got it up and running.

This time, I split my harddrive so I can make backups without wasting discs next time. Though my main drive will probably quickly fill up with all the FLAC I'm ripping.

Offline Irrationalist

« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2006, 11:57:14 am »
start>run  "cmd"

y

hf

rotfl, that sounds reminesant of telling nubs that pressing alt+f4 gets rid of lag......

Offline Fallout

• Machinae Prime
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2006, 09:21:36 pm »
start>run  "cmd"

y

hf

rotfl, that sounds reminesant of telling nubs that pressing alt+f4 gets rid of lag......

Or that typing "disco" in the CSS console and pressing tab-enter really fast makes everyone do a disco dance?

Or that pressing F10 in CSS gives you free money?