Author Topic: CD question and personal questions for the band.  (Read 4878 times)

Offline lindarthebard

• I'm a last-all-day guitarist.
CD question and personal questions for the band.
« on: December 04, 2003, 04:06:21 pm »
Sorry if this has been asked before, but I didn't see it in the forums. The CD is coming out in your very special online shop that hasn't been made yet or released in the US (or just California) right? I will fly, sail, and swim those 9 thousand kilometers and bug you to death until I get the finished product that is the Machinae Album if not. (Was there a pun in there? If so, unintentional.)

=P

Anyway, sorry for the psycho fandom-ness!
I have a few questions for you, so..... uh........ I will...... begin the..... ask-y... process thing......... now...
(I encourage other people that aren't in the band that play an instrument/are in a band to post their response as well.)

Beware the bad grammar! Intentionally typing bad mixed with the inability to type at 5 AM with 4 hours sleep and no breakfast.

What music do you listen to, and how does it influence your (Woo) style of playing?

Do you ever listen to you own music? (Dumb question, but I wont know for sure unless I ask!)

Do you play any other instruments? (I'm an "instrument whore" as my friend calls me, being a starting violinist, a natural bass player, and a lead guitarist of 1 year. I was wondering if other band music playing peoples did that, too.)

Do you consider yourselves nerds? How long have you been one if so? (I've been one since age 4)

Penguin?

What process is involved in writing a song? Do you do it all by ear and totally at random, or do you calculate everything out to precise measurements and scales, or somewhere in between?

If you could have one "super power".... what and why?

Caffeine?

.......and because I have run out of stupid questions, there are no more. Thanx for your music and letting us hear it! Having a forum you are active an and keeping a connection with your fans makes me want to BUY your music. Keep it up! I look forward to a reply.
owned:electric and acoustic guitar,5 string electric bass,acousic violin,harmonica,electric piano,drums,trumpet. Capable of playing:electric/acoustic guitar,electric/acoustic bass,violin,harmonica,piano,ukulele,mandolin,drums,keyboard,organ,harpsichord,trumpet, generally all brass, keys, and strings

Offline MadRobb

• Well... I'm a big fan of Machinae Supremacy. :]
Re:CD question and personal questions for the band.
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2003, 05:09:00 pm »
About the selling of the cd: You can find some info on this thread: http://hazul.net/machinae/index.php?board=2;action=display;threadid=414

Look extra carefully at reply #11.  ;)

I'll let the Robert & the others answer the personal questions (as you want, I guess ;)).
Jag är Machinae Supremacy-fan, vad fan är du? =)

Offline Gordon

• Band Member
  • Tack som FAAAN! =)
    • Machinae Supremacy
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2003, 06:13:25 pm »
Too many questions....

Don't know where to begin...

I'll leave it to Rob.  :) ;D

"Det är Arvids tur att sitta i lådan."

Offline robert

• Baka
  • Band Member
  • \,,/_(o-O)_,,i,.
    • Machinae Supremacy
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2003, 02:23:31 am »
Hey lindarthebard...

I'll try to answer for everyone, I guess... I'm used to it. :)

We do, of course, listen to a lot of music... We like music. But we listen to very different sorts of music...
Kahl, for instance, probably has the roughest music in his collection, stuff like meshuggah, one minute silence and slipknot. But he also listens to, and composes, softer stuff...

Jonne listens to lots of stuff, mainly metal and eminem (it would be wrong to say hiphop, because he only listens to eminem from that genre)... He's a major Megadeth fan and most things in our music that sound very "metal" are his doing...

Tomas listens a lot to american collage rock, emo and skate punk / HC ... He also likes SKA and Soilwork.

Gordon is into all sorts of music, but I'm not sure I can pinpoint specific bands... I know he's listened a lot to Evanescence lately.

I'm a lot like Tomas in taste, but slightly rougher on the punk side. To name a few bands: Dead Kennedys, System of a Down, Dir en grey and Bif Naked.

I guess all music we listen to find a way into our own somehow, but I do believe that since we listen to such varied styles we get a nice blend that isn't that easily defined... Some sort of border-style, perhaps?  ;D

We listen to our own music, yes... Mostly when it's new, of course, out of pride of one's creation but also because we like our music (after all, we make the kind of music we ourselves want to listen to).

Tomas is pretty nailed to the drum stool, but everyone else in the band plays guitar, bass and keyboards, although Gordon is the only one who really know what he's doing on the keyboard...

I used to play transverse flute when I was a kid. If someone else in the band wants to add to this little instrumental history, please do so.

I'd definitely call us nerds... or freaks ... I dunno. I mean, we pretty much are and act like anyone else and everyone's a geek about something these days. I guess we're music geeks, perhaps. Jonne is also a true power-gamer as well.

But one thing is for sure. Give us a computer withouth a sound card and neihter of us wouldn't find much use for it.

Ah, the song-writing process...
First comes the idea ... Which could be anything from a word or a sentence of lyrics, to a single riff or a melody of some sort... Sometimes even just a rhythm or synth preset can be the beginning of a machinae song...

What makes a nice melody or sequence of chords and rhythms of course we leave to our ears and taste, but sometimes we transpose parts of songs to an alternate key to make it more interesting (we switch key / scale in the middle somewhere)...

Like "The Wired" has 13 switches, I think... Some songs have no switches at all, though.

Super power? I couldn't possible answer for anyone else on this one, but I guess I can answer for me... Although I've never really considered the question before (since grown age, at least) I can think of only one thing... And that'd be to be able to kill people with my mind.  8)

But then again, my mind is the darkest place I know.  ;)

It's my job to keep SID elite.

---

<WereVolvo> you can't brain today, you have the dumb?

Offline lindarthebard

• I'm a last-all-day guitarist.
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2003, 06:36:36 am »
*claps*
Nny (JTHM) had head exlodey powers when he went to heaven. Anyway... I very much appreciate you taking the time to answer my questions.  ;D

*feels special*

By the way... I think that the band "style" is, what my friends and I have called, "Geek Metal" as soon as we heard Sidology Episodes 1 and 3, Hybrid, and a few of the obviously nerdy songs/intros. My friend, Ikku, coined the term geek metal as far as I know.

By the way, what happened to March of the Undead part 1 and Sidology Episode 2?
owned:electric and acoustic guitar,5 string electric bass,acousic violin,harmonica,electric piano,drums,trumpet. Capable of playing:electric/acoustic guitar,electric/acoustic bass,violin,harmonica,piano,ukulele,mandolin,drums,keyboard,organ,harpsichord,trumpet, generally all brass, keys, and strings

Offline Wintress

• Machinae rocks!
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2003, 10:23:37 am »

I'll try to answer for everyone, I guess... I'm used to it. :)

[... ] And that'd be to be able to kill people with my mind.  8)

But then again, my mind is the darkest place I know.  ;)

First off, it's really cool of you to answer (for everybody too!) so many questions, hehhee! It was cool reading the answers.

Second...ACK!...at your "superpower", if it was real! ;D
Whew, I'm glad it ain't ;)
"You don't have to like flour just because you happen to like buns!"  ;)

Offline robert

• Baka
  • Band Member
  • \,,/_(o-O)_,,i,.
    • Machinae Supremacy
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2003, 12:01:57 pm »
Hmmm, I've got nothing against geeks or geekyness, but somehow geek metal sounds like an oxymoron to me... sid metal is way better, imo. :)

Wintress, yeah, good thing it ain't... An alternate super power would perhaps be to be able to shower really fast, or something  ;D

---

Offline -=[Cole Will]=-

• Rawk Da Hawk
    • -=[Cole Will]=-
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2003, 02:44:51 am »
Im just wondering if you guys have ever heard of Primus. Its definatly my favorite band ( mainly because Les Claypool is the most amazing bass player iv ever heard ).

And im wondering if wee will hear any slap bass lix from Kahl on the new album. that would be interesting. :)

head over to PRIMUSSUCKS.com to check them out.
"...Come with us and we'll sail the seas of cheese."

Offline Outboundlight

• Renegade Anarchist Folk Hero
  • Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
  • Rogue World Asylum Seeker
    • No Art Films
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2003, 02:57:41 am »
Hmmm, I've got nothing against geeks or geekyness, but somehow geek metal sounds like an oxymoron to me... sid metal is way better, imo. :)

Wintress, yeah, good thing it ain't... An alternate super power would perhaps be to be able to shower really fast, or something  ;D

SiDMetaL 4 life!

word.

Offline gaijin

• Hiding behind the couch
  • Community Supporter
  • "You sound like the Morning Star"
    • Motljus
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2003, 05:08:40 am »
*claps*
Nny (JTHM) had head exlodey powers when he went to heaven. Anyway... I very much appreciate you taking the time to answer my questions.  ;D

NNY! NNY! NNY! NNY! NNY!
Jhonen Vazques rocks. >)
Oi, is this when I get a huge sig-image, start whining about "moar sid" and make nonsensical arguments to no good?

sobella_science

« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2003, 01:48:15 pm »
>:( Taking a shower aint metal - period!
hahaha! No it's not! ;D

Offline Gravehill

• Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
  • Dignity! Strength! Love!
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2003, 02:25:08 pm »
I took bath in our bathtub yesterday. I used some eucalyptus aromatic bath-water-oil in it so it would open my breath some. Did it work? No. But now I smell like eucalyptus all the way. And if someone know about product named "Ice Power" it felt something like that from chest to below. Kinda interesting (felt good, thou)...
Random ramblings and furious feminine novels per versatility.

Offline robert

• Baka
  • Band Member
  • \,,/_(o-O)_,,i,.
    • Machinae Supremacy
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2003, 09:32:21 pm »
Look. I _do_ shower, at least once, maybe twice a year... Even if it's not necessary.  8)

---

Offline Outboundlight

• Renegade Anarchist Folk Hero
  • Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
  • Rogue World Asylum Seeker
    • No Art Films
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2003, 02:31:04 am »
woah Robert...

...Metal to the max

\m/

(yo, VisionThing - The 80s called, they want their slang back)

Offline Wintress

• Machinae rocks!
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2003, 11:02:23 am »
Yep, Falcon, I know who Primus is, and I like 'em too.

LOL at Gravehill smelling like eucalyptus!

LOL at VT: "(yo, VisionThing - The 80s called, they want their slang back)"

And....ROFL at Robert: "Look. I _do_ shower, at least once, maybe twice a year... Even if it's not necessary."

Hhehehheee, me too, even though it's not necessary! ;D
"You don't have to like flour just because you happen to like buns!"  ;)