Author Topic: Deus Ex Machinae download @ Last.fm  (Read 7678 times)

Offline Corelian

Deus Ex Machinae download @ Last.fm
« on: November 08, 2006, 08:18:03 pm »
I was just wondering why DXM is available as a free download at Last.fm?!
???

As a sidenote, I can't follow Last.fm's logic; why would anyone want to download a crap quality MP3 copy of an album they already own?

EDIT: spelling correction...
« Last Edit: November 08, 2006, 08:26:35 pm by Corelian »

Offline SomethingApt

• Machinae Prime
  • [this space for rent]
Re: Deus Ex Machinae download @ Last.fm
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2006, 09:14:43 pm »
As a sidenote, I can't follow Last.fm's logic; why would anyone want to download a crap quality MP3 copy of an album they already own?

They wouldn't. But people who have never heard of machinae and find them in their recommended list would love to. that's kind of the entire point of last.fm. duh. :P

As for it being available as a free download... I dunno... whoever put it up was most likely drunk and not paying attention. :P

Offline Corelian

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2006, 09:19:43 pm »
They wouldn't. But people who have never heard of machinae and find them in their recommended list would love to. that's kind of the entire point of last.fm. duh. :P

Yes, but why are the downloads displayed in my personal recently played list? duh :P

EDIT:
DXM album page @ Last.fm with all the downloads.

I always thought that DXM could only be obtained by buying it. Has MaSu authorized the distribution or is this a major fuck up?
« Last Edit: November 08, 2006, 11:16:16 pm by Corelian »

Smeagol

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2006, 12:11:35 am »
I think that's first edition stuff, which is no longer in circulation?

Offline Corelian

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2006, 12:19:51 am »
I think that's first edition stuff, which is no longer in circulation?

Yes, I also think that the tracks are from the first edition, but what difference does it make? Are you implying that it's OK to distribute copies of out-of-print records?

Offline SomethingApt

• Machinae Prime
  • [this space for rent]
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2006, 01:12:12 am »
Yes, but why are the downloads displayed in my personal recently played list? duh :P

I regularly browse my neighbour's recently played lists. It's handy to be able to preview their music quickly.

Has MaSu authorized the distribution or is this a major fuck up?

My guess is... Both. I wasn't joking when i said the person who put it up was most likely drunk and not paying attention :P

EDIT: yep, did a bit of searching and it seems that i was right (i thought i remembered this being discussed before): http://forum.machinaesupremacy.com/index.php/topic,1431.0.html tomas uploaded the music, so you don't need to worry about it being legit :P

« Last Edit: November 09, 2006, 01:15:27 am by SomethingApt »

Offline Corelian

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2006, 01:31:49 am »
I regularly browse my neighbour's recently played lists. It's handy to be able to preview their music quickly.

Yes it's fine to have the downloads in your neighbour's recently played list, but it silly to have them in your list.
- Hey, would you like to download the album you just listened? ::)

My guess is... Both. I wasn't joking when i said the person who put it up was most likely drunk and not paying attention :P

EDIT: yep, did a bit of searching and it seems that i was right (i thought i remembered this being discussed before): http://forum.machinaesupremacy.com/index.php/topic,1431.0.html tomas uploaded the music, so you don't need to worry about it being legit :P

But it's still weird that you can download the whole album just like that.

Offline Zombie With Style

• Sleep and fade away for I've got the style!
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2006, 02:07:02 am »
Slightly off topic but why isn't Redeemer shown their as one of Mchinaes albums?

Offline SomethingApt

• Machinae Prime
  • [this space for rent]
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2006, 09:54:58 am »
Yes it's fine to have the downloads in your neighbour's recently played list, but it silly to have them in your list.

*slaps head*

OK, pretend for a minute that I haven't heard of machinae supremacy. I see you on a forum, click on your last.fm page, and notice that in YOUR recently played tracks you have a lot of music by this band called machinae supremacy, and i can listen to all their songs right there. starting to make sense? You're not the only person who'll look at your lastfm user page.

Offline Nats

• moar sturmgeschützs plz!
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2006, 01:38:24 pm »

It's not that simple. You could've heard the songs with the last.fm client (radio). In other words, a user who listens to the songs might not actually have them on his/her computer.

Offline Irrationalist

« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2006, 08:17:38 pm »
I bought my Deus Ex, but I would have loved to have know this so I could have listen while I waited.

Smeagol

« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2006, 08:41:28 pm »
Are you implying that it's OK to distribute copies of out-of-print records?

Er, yes?

Ever hear of Abandonware?

Offline Irrationalist

« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2006, 08:43:20 pm »
I agree, and disagree.

Software yes.

Music and art no.

Offline Corelian

« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2006, 08:58:41 pm »
*slaps head*

OK, pretend for a minute that I haven't heard of machinae supremacy. I see you on a forum, click on your last.fm page, and notice that in YOUR recently played tracks you have a lot of music by this band called machinae supremacy, and i can listen to all their songs right there. starting to make sense? You're not the only person who'll look at your lastfm user page.

Errr... are you just joking or are you really that stupid? The other users who might be viewing my user page are not logged in as me, so it's sensible to show the downloads to them. But as I am logged in as Corelian, why would they show the downloads in Corelian's recent tracks list? ::)

Offline Xhu

• Gentlemen... it's a nuclear device.
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2006, 09:01:09 pm »
Because they don't change your page based on your login? I don't see why they would. Maybe you log in on another computer?

You're really looking too much into this.
(i) There will come a day when nothing you did matters. But it is not today. Here and now, you are alive.
(ii) Live well under your own authority.
(iii) Abolishing suffering is impossible. Lessening suffering is mandatory.