Author Topic: (Wo-)Manliness in games  (Read 17706 times)

Offline harvey danger

• Machinae Prime
  • Werd
Re: (Wo-)Manliness in games
« Reply #75 on: November 18, 2006, 10:09:25 pm »
I think Max Payne would take it for "most human".
That's the problem with heroes, really. Their only purpose in life is to thwart others. They make no plans, develop no strategies. They react instead of act. Without villains, heroes would stagnate. Without heroes, villains would be running the world. Heroes have morals. Villains have work ethic.

Offline Torp v2.0

• Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
  • Happiness is Mandatory!
    • My homepage
« Reply #76 on: November 18, 2006, 10:11:51 pm »
I think I could agree to that.
...why Torp was picked over you... HE'S JUST BETTER THAN YOU IN EVERY RESPECT. -SomethingGood
<Radicz0r> Torp is well prepared for universal destruction

[03:18:49] <WereVolvo> ARCTIC
[03:18:51] <WereVolvo> not arctic

Offline Fallout

• Machinae Prime
« Reply #77 on: November 18, 2006, 10:43:49 pm »
Max Payne isnt human at all.. hes.. superhuman. He can fucking slow down time, that's not very human now is it?

Offline Torp v2.0

• Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
  • Happiness is Mandatory!
    • My homepage
« Reply #78 on: November 18, 2006, 10:46:28 pm »
Well, actually, it is. Haven't you ever slipped? While only a fraction of a second passes from you fall to you land palms first on the asphalt, it feels like eternity. See. We too can slow down time.
...why Torp was picked over you... HE'S JUST BETTER THAN YOU IN EVERY RESPECT. -SomethingGood
<Radicz0r> Torp is well prepared for universal destruction

[03:18:49] <WereVolvo> ARCTIC
[03:18:51] <WereVolvo> not arctic

Offline harvey danger

• Machinae Prime
  • Werd
« Reply #79 on: November 19, 2006, 12:16:01 am »
Max Payne isnt human at all.. hes.. superhuman. He can fucking slow down time, that's not very human now is it?
Well, actually, it is. Haven't you ever slipped? While only a fraction of a second passes from you fall to you land palms first on the asphalt, it feels like eternity. See. We too can slow down time.

It's not as if he slows down the world around him. He's just moving faster than he normally would. Adrenaline does that to people.

And we're talking personality-wise, aren't we?
That's the problem with heroes, really. Their only purpose in life is to thwart others. They make no plans, develop no strategies. They react instead of act. Without villains, heroes would stagnate. Without heroes, villains would be running the world. Heroes have morals. Villains have work ethic.

Offline Gravehill

• Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
  • Dignity! Strength! Love!
« Reply #80 on: November 19, 2006, 12:43:32 am »
I'm not entirely sure about whether Nameless Space Marine's deed going through hell is worth Duke Nukem's work. I mean, Doom's hell was kinda lame, don't you think? There really was no torture or pain, no people being burned or tortured alive, eaten alive or ripped apart in good old hell-way. In DN3D aliens brought hell on earth. They imprisoned people, ate them alive and they did all sorts of other evil things too. They even hanged nun and that's real sign of hell if any! And if I remember correctly, there was halfeaten space marine at one closet... Signs of torture and pain, indeed! In Doom there was only doomguy and zillions of nasty demons who tried to kill doomguy fast. But in DN3D there were women pleading "kill me...". DN3D's earth seemed more abysmal and hell-like than Doom's "hell", IMO.
Random ramblings and furious feminine novels per versatility.

Offline Outboundlight

• Renegade Anarchist Folk Hero
  • Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
  • Rogue World Asylum Seeker
    • No Art Films
« Reply #81 on: November 19, 2006, 06:55:24 pm »
I agree that doomguy is way more manly than Nukem and 47. He's taking on all hell by himself and doesn't stop to either complain or brag about it.

Has anyone ever read the Doom comic?

It's awesome, the Doom Guy narrates pretty much everything he's doing in a hilarious fashion. hilarious, but perhaps it lessens his manliness...

Offline CrunchyLizard

• Machinae Prime
  • Stays crunchy ...even in milk!
« Reply #82 on: November 19, 2006, 07:11:54 pm »
Has anyone ever read the Doom comic?

Err, I've read the Doom novels, does that count?

Offline Xhu

• Gentlemen... it's a nuclear device.
« Reply #83 on: November 19, 2006, 08:53:57 pm »
I'm not entirely sure about whether Nameless Space Marine's deed going through hell is worth Duke Nukem's work. I mean, Doom's hell was kinda lame, don't you think? There really was no torture or pain, no people being burned or tortured alive, eaten alive or ripped apart in good old hell-way. In DN3D aliens brought hell on earth. They imprisoned people, ate them alive and they did all sorts of other evil things too. They even hanged nun and that's real sign of hell if any! And if I remember correctly, there was halfeaten space marine at one closet... Signs of torture and pain, indeed! In Doom there was only doomguy and zillions of nasty demons who tried to kill doomguy fast. But in DN3D there were women pleading "kill me...". DN3D's earth seemed more abysmal and hell-like than Doom's "hell", IMO.

Ever pay attention to the levels in doom? Heads on pikes, bloody corpses, etc. Maybe not as many, but that's only because most of the remains were probably eaten or something. =P
(i) There will come a day when nothing you did matters. But it is not today. Here and now, you are alive.
(ii) Live well under your own authority.
(iii) Abolishing suffering is impossible. Lessening suffering is mandatory.

Offline evilcandybag

• of Fire
  • Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
  • Armoured Tanks of Mass Destruction
« Reply #84 on: November 19, 2006, 09:48:46 pm »

Ever pay attention to the levels in doom? Heads on pikes, bloody corpses, etc. Maybe not as many, but that's only because most of the remains were probably eaten or something. =P

Not to mention the twitcing guys hanging in chains, torn in half. And the whole rooms made of meat and blood, with walls made of tortured souls...
"Actually, wooden stakes are for vampires. Wooden steaks are for vegetarians."

Offline Gravehill

• Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
  • Dignity! Strength! Love!
« Reply #85 on: November 20, 2006, 12:00:48 am »
Now that you mentioned I remember seeing heads on sticks, yeah. From those other details I cannot recall... First when I read them I could only thought some similar scenes from Quake. That's probably due my poor memory, freshest memories stays on top while elders kinda get buried under them. I'm sure that you remember it better than me and so I have to admit that those sceneries definetly sound like a hell. My apologies.

* Gravehill  kicks himself on ass for forgetting what's Doom's hell really looks like
Random ramblings and furious feminine novels per versatility.

Offline L'homme magique

• Machinae Prime
  • Stay Calm
« Reply #86 on: November 20, 2006, 12:27:58 am »
It's awesome, the Doom Guy narrates pretty much everything he's doing in a hilarious fashion. hilarious, but perhaps it lessens his manliness...
YOU'RE HUGE! THAT MEANS YOU HAVE HUGE GUTS!

RIP AND TEAR RIP AND TEAR

I LIKE WHAT I SEE. AN IMPORTANT LOOKING DOOR! *UNF* *UNF*
"It's like growing up reading good books or listening to good music. One good sofa breeds another good sofa; one bad sofa breeds another bad sofa. That's how it goes."

Offline Fallout

• Machinae Prime
« Reply #87 on: November 20, 2006, 12:32:38 am »
hahahaha ;D

Yeah, I remember that Doom comic.

Offline Irrationalist

« Reply #88 on: November 23, 2006, 07:33:54 am »
hahahaha ;D

Yeah, I remember that Doom comic.

lol.

Offline Xhu

• Gentlemen... it's a nuclear device.
« Reply #89 on: November 23, 2006, 10:15:33 pm »
(i) There will come a day when nothing you did matters. But it is not today. Here and now, you are alive.
(ii) Live well under your own authority.
(iii) Abolishing suffering is impossible. Lessening suffering is mandatory.