Author Topic: SPLIT: Mac vs Windows  (Read 16552 times)

Offline SomethingApt

• Machinae Prime
  • [this space for rent]
Re: SPLIT: Mac vs Windows
« Reply #60 on: December 04, 2006, 07:03:17 pm »
Since you guys are having so much trouble getting on topic, I'll give it a shot:

My vote goes to Mac, easily. I have two laptops: an ibook with osx, and a semi-decent windows laptop. The windows laptop sits in the corner of my room gathering dust.

Why? Windows is badly laid out. When I want to check my system information I have to check in lots of different places. When I want to change setting I have to work out whether I should go to the control panel, or right-click on my computer, or maybe right-click on the desktop. On OSX I just click the apple icon in the top left, and click "About This Mac" for detailed information on the os/hardware, or "System Preferences" for ALL of the settings.

Windows looks like crap. The default skins are crap, and if you change it to a custom one you just lose all usability. OSX is DAMN easy on the eyes. If you disagree then you need glasses.

OSX handles application crashes much better. If an app freezes, you you just click the apple icon in the top-left, click "Force Quit", and select the app in the list. If an app in windows crashes, you can use ctrl-alt-delete, but half the time that doesnt work, and the comp spazzes out and goes crazy, and you have to restart it (or sometimes if you just mash all the buttons on the keyboard it will randomly decide to start working)

Viruses. You don't get them in OSX, and it's fantastic. On Windows you either have a virus which kills your computer, or you're running anti-virus which slows down your computer AND regularly decides to make running perfectly fine applications a chore by giving you annoying messages about it.

Expose (with a little thingy above the e). It's a feature of OSX which allows you to push all of the open windows to the side of the screen, or just let you see every single open window side-by-side just by pressing one of the f buttons. it works like a charm and makes using your computer so much easier and swifter.

This one only applies to laptops... Mac laptops have a much better battery life than windows laptops. And closing the lid on a mac laptop puts it straight into sleep mode, which doesnt drain the battery. open the lid again, and everything is right where you left it. Close the lid on a windows laptop and it will stay running (unless you set it to hibernate, but that takes ages, regularly doesnt work, and still takes a while to load up after opening the lid again).

Lysix

« Reply #61 on: December 04, 2006, 08:19:20 pm »

I'm dumb for pirating something? Well I guess that makes most of the forumers here dumb too.

No. Your whole attitude shown was a bit retarded tbh. "OMGZ! I HAVE TO PAY FOR SOFTWARE! WORLDS ENDING FFS!"

Windows looks like crap. The default skins are crap, and if you change it to a custom one you just lose all usability. OSX is DAMN easy on the eyes. If you disagree then you need glasses.

That's opinion. Granted, OSX looks great, but I've nothing against XP and Vista (though Vista has basicly copied the mac format).

OSX handles application crashes much better. If an app freezes, you you just click the apple icon in the top-left, click "Force Quit", and select the app in the list. If an app in windows crashes, you can use ctrl-alt-delete, but half the time that doesnt work, and the comp spazzes out and goes crazy, and you have to restart it (or sometimes if you just mash all the buttons on the keyboard it will randomly decide to start working)

Not really. Have you never tried clicking the processes tab and forcefully ending the program itself? Completely ends the program regardless of whether it's frozen or not.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2006, 08:23:02 pm by Lysix »

Offline SomethingApt

• Machinae Prime
  • [this space for rent]
« Reply #62 on: December 04, 2006, 08:28:41 pm »
Not really. Have you never tried clicking the processes tab and forcefully ending the program itself? Completely ends the program regardless of whether it's frozen or not.

1) that's assuming you can actually get to it. many times i've had a program crash on me, and it's completely killed windows to the extent that i can't actually get to the ctrl-alt-del menu.

2) even when ive managed to get to it, on many occasions ive gone to the processes tab to forcefully kill the process, just for it to hang doing nothing for a few minutes, and then eventually give me an error.

i know there's multiple ways to close down crashed programs, and generally after a bit of fiddling it can be done. but seriously... i have better things to do than spend my time trying to work out just how to make the goddamn thing work!! on the rare occasions programs crash on osx (generally shitty ports of microsoft products, go figure) im able to get them restarted and running again straight away.

:/
« Last Edit: December 04, 2006, 08:33:01 pm by SomethingApt »

Lysix

« Reply #63 on: December 04, 2006, 08:32:27 pm »
1) that's assuming you can actually get to it. many times i've had a program crash on me, and it's completely killed windows to the extent that i can't actually get to the ctrl-alt-del menu.

2) even when ive managed to get to it, on many occasions ive gone to the processes tab to forcefully kill the process, just for it to hang doing nothing for a few minutes, and then eventually give me an error.

:/

Weird, it's always been fine for me. :) Had some struggles sometimes when a program MAJORLY fucks up, but it seems when i ctrl+alt+delete everything suddenly kicks back into shape. I guess it's different to every computer. :P

Offline Xhu

• Gentlemen... it's a nuclear device.
« Reply #64 on: December 04, 2006, 08:35:27 pm »
To be fair, and it's as a Windows user at heart I say this, MacOS's biggest selling point is that it just...works. No hassle.
(i) There will come a day when nothing you did matters. But it is not today. Here and now, you are alive.
(ii) Live well under your own authority.
(iii) Abolishing suffering is impossible. Lessening suffering is mandatory.

Offline Warrior Bob

• Rock.
    • The Fighting dot org
« Reply #65 on: December 05, 2006, 12:53:26 am »
To be fair, and it's as a Windows user at heart I say this, MacOS's biggest selling point is that it just...works. No hassle.

I feel this has become less and less true the more Apple embraces new and varied technologies as opposed to doing everything their own way, but I think that's okay.  I prefer having the options.

I still love my little Mac though.  It's cute.  I like it more and more the more keyboard shortcuts I learn.  Honestly I thought the Expose tricks were neat but ultimately a pain for me to use, as I switch windows very frequently and the animations drove me nuts.

Offline Einkoro

• Machinae Prime
  • ~tima
    • http://www.janpingel.com/
« Reply #66 on: December 05, 2006, 04:30:44 am »
edit by SomethingApt: Seriously guys. not funny.

I <3 SomethingApt  :-*
"Don't believe anyone when they tell you irony is just a literary convention. It's a universal constant, like the coefficient of gravity." - Alfred Bester