Author Topic: (Wo-)Manliness in games  (Read 15589 times)

Offline evilcandybag

• of Fire
  • Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
  • Armoured Tanks of Mass Destruction
(Wo-)Manliness in games
« on: November 08, 2006, 07:44:18 pm »
In the Video Game Annoyances thread, a couple of posts were made about the depiction of men and women in games. Since there is so much to discuss on this topic, I decided it deserves a thread of its own (instead of hijacking another thread).

Before we start, I'd like to ask you to post neither the usual "Macho men and busty women all the time sucks" (most of us know it does already), nor the other usual rant "I liek bewbs lol". Thank You.

I'll start this out with a statement: most "manly" male protagonists in games today fail at being manly. The most manly character out there today is Gordon Freeman. Why? A truly manly man never ever claims to be manly, neither directly, nor through his attitude. Gordon does neither of this.
A lot of heroes don't want to save the world (or whatever), but end up doing so anyways. There is often a lot of complaining involved. Gordon does not want to save the world, but he does, and he doesn't complain about it. He does it in a way similar to when I do my laundry. It's a drag, but it needs to be done.

Look at this picture:

Gordon is neither angry nor full of "eat this mothafucka" attitude, he only hacks away at the monsters because it's what needs to be done. His facial expression is that of a man whose car breaks down on his way home to his comfy chair, TV/book and glass of Islay Whiskey. He's tired and wants to go home, but can't.

That's why he is no.1 on my Manly Heroes-list.

Comments? Insights and thoughts about other characters worthy of note in this context?
"Actually, wooden stakes are for vampires. Wooden steaks are for vegetarians."

Lysix

Re: (Wo-)Manliness in games
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2006, 08:11:29 pm »
I think the whole subject is over-rated, tbh. Exagerated character builds and the such are expected in video games, where reality is purposefully altered to deliver an experience we enjoy anyway.
You have to remember the majority playerbase for such games are nerds, who get turned on by pixel girls with big breasts in video games (DoA anyone?). Sometimes, boobs make trademarks on characters as well. If i asked everyone i knew to say what instantly came to their head when i mentioned Tifa from FF7, i'd most certainly get "her big boobs!".

I reckon Gordon was designed as he is for the skinny geeks to think "hey! i can be a hero too!".
« Last Edit: November 08, 2006, 08:14:49 pm by Lysix »

Offline Bearfoot

• They're coming to take me away ha ha!
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2006, 08:12:59 pm »
I think that the views you've expressed are pretty much right on.  Gordon isn't a military man, and that's why he has appeal to me and why, I think, he's a hero on the Halfie world.

Now let's take a look at the other end of the spectrum shall we?

Of course, in all fairness, Duke has always been a parody of the Macho hero steriotype, which is why I find it intresting ot bring up here.  He's delibrately over the top and extreme. 

The question that that raises, of course, is which is more fun and desirable to play?

Gordon is an everyman who rose to prominice while Duke is a spoof.  Both of them were fun to play IMHO but Gordon wins hands down for making me beleive that I could save the world and actually be him.
I'm only one, but still I am one.  I can't do everything, but I can do something-
Hellen Kieller

"There are never enough reasons to get drunk. I, for example am going out tomorrow to celebrate.. um.. Tuesday.:
Lexx β

Offline Irrationalist

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2006, 08:22:59 pm »
Nukem is funny.

I agree with Candy bag with his comments on Freeman which is why I love all Half-Life games and there expansions!

Offline Drakonis

• Fighter from Ninne
  • Community Supporter
  • "I am mine own Redeemer."
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2006, 09:28:24 pm »
I think Freeman is an excellent hero because theres a level of mystery behind him. You really do feel like you're becoming him when you play.

I love cinematics, but games that your character is constantly making his own emotion that may or may not make sense to the gamer in my opinion seperates you from your character. You often feel his choices become so complex that you don't agree with them. Alot of heavy cinematic games have this effect.

I think my all time favorite hero, regardless of the popularity of the game or the game itself, is still the Master Chief. He doesn't say alot, when he does its either funny or important. But you still feel like you're the emotion behind him. The character is very open and mysterious and as you play (half because of the game design itself and the quietness of the character) it fits, it works, and you really connect to him.

Offline L'homme magique

• Machinae Prime
  • Stay Calm
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2006, 09:53:43 pm »
SHODAN is a whole lotta woman.
"It's like growing up reading good books or listening to good music. One good sofa breeds another good sofa; one bad sofa breeds another bad sofa. That's how it goes."

Offline Gravehill

• Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
  • Dignity! Strength! Love!
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2006, 11:19:50 pm »
This was highlight of my perverted youth:

http://www.angelfire.com/anime5/gravehill/barbarian2_1_jaquette.jpg

Just check out the hairdo also, by the way!
Random ramblings and furious feminine novels per versatility.

Offline Jack Lupino

• Worst Dude
  • Machinae Prime
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2006, 11:34:00 pm »
Cockblocked.

The link that is.

Lysix

« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2006, 11:34:34 pm »
This was highlight of my perverted youth:

http://www.angelfire.com/anime5/gravehill/barbarian2_1_jaquette.jpg

Just check out the hairdo also, by the way!

You of all people should know linking directly to angelfire images makes baby jesus cry.

Offline Bearfoot

« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2006, 02:10:49 am »
Interesting historical footnote.

laura croft was orginally supposed to be a near direct ripoff of Indiana Jones.. but one of the art directors got tired fo staring at a guy's ass.
I'm only one, but still I am one.  I can't do everything, but I can do something-
Hellen Kieller

"There are never enough reasons to get drunk. I, for example am going out tomorrow to celebrate.. um.. Tuesday.:
Lexx β

Offline Gravehill

• Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
  • Dignity! Strength! Love!
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2006, 03:04:31 am »
OK... Just try Google image seek with this text:

http://images.google.fi/images?q=barbarian2_1_jaquette.jpg&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&sa=N&tab=wi

About Angelfire : now I finally remember why I abandoned it!
Random ramblings and furious feminine novels per versatility.

Offline Einkoro

• Machinae Prime
  • ~tima
    • http://www.janpingel.com/
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2006, 04:17:19 am »
SHODAN is a whole lotta woman.

I'd hit it.
"Don't believe anyone when they tell you irony is just a literary convention. It's a universal constant, like the coefficient of gravity." - Alfred Bester

Offline Trezker

• Machinae Prime
  • I don't eat food!
    • Trezker is a programmer
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2006, 07:09:04 am »
I think this picture needs to be in the thread.

You have the power of TIME ON YOUR HANDS. -Laser
"Oh come on Trez, everyone knows you're sexy" -Spider Chii

Offline Fallout

• Machinae Prime
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2006, 02:39:52 pm »
Gman>Gordon in the manliness department.

What's more manly than being able to bend time?

Offline Bearfoot

« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2006, 04:54:35 pm »
Gman>Gordon in the manliness department.

What's more manly than being able to bend time?

Freeing the whole f'n planet from alien invasion, maybe?
Hellen Kieller

Lexx β