Author Topic: Inspiring music?  (Read 13232 times)

Offline Irrationalist

Re: Inspiring music?
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2006, 08:41:06 pm »

Offline Ant

• Donated so refic can buy beer
  • Community Supporter
  • Machinae Prime
  • It's personal text.
« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2006, 10:52:48 pm »
But if one day we meet together while I'm drunk, I promise you to draw a big group sex picture including a lot of forumites. :D

Ich bin ein Berliner, Frankfurter, Hamburger und Bonner

Offline cloudstrifex

« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2006, 11:53:26 pm »
Well not to sound too cliche, but MaSu definitely inspires me. It takes me out of a bad mood if I'm in one, or raises my already jolly disposition. :D *insert santa laugh here*

Offline L'homme magique

• Machinae Prime
  • Stay Calm
« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2006, 12:05:35 am »
Trez*

I smited him for it :/

I smited you for smiting him!

I smited you for having no good reason to smite me
there's this cool thing called the random section
"It's like growing up reading good books or listening to good music. One good sofa breeds another good sofa; one bad sofa breeds another bad sofa. That's how it goes."

Offline Valentine Revolution

• Twitter
« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2006, 12:18:05 am »
Well not to sound too cliche, but MaSu definitely inspires me. It takes me out of a bad mood if I'm in one, or raises my already jolly disposition. :D *insert santa laugh here*

Same here, if I know its gonna be a shit day at work I pop Machinae on in my little office to give me a bit of a confidence boost and take it all in stride.

Offline slippy0

• ┐('~`ï¼›)┌
« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2006, 03:20:57 am »
Rhapsody and Ayreon make me want to play guitar. I can't actually write music yet, but its technically inspiration.
Also, I find that metal (usually viking/Nordic, etc.) helps me make crazy dancing robots.
See why Massachusetts rocks? We have Slippy <.<

Offline Xhu

• Gentlemen... it's a nuclear device.
« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2006, 12:33:17 pm »
For some reason, music in another language - primarily japanese - seems to help me work better than that with lyrics I understand. Maybe because I'm not focusing on them, and they become another part of the song, instead of the focus. Anyone else noticed this, or am I just crazy? >.<
(i) There will come a day when nothing you did matters. But it is not today. Here and now, you are alive.
(ii) Live well under your own authority.
(iii) Abolishing suffering is impossible. Lessening suffering is mandatory.

Offline PrescriptiveBarony

• Machinae Prime
  • Let there be blacklight.
« Reply #22 on: November 10, 2006, 09:30:19 pm »
For some reason, music in another language - primarily japanese - seems to help me work better than that with lyrics I understand. Maybe because I'm not focusing on them, and they become another part of the song, instead of the focus. Anyone else noticed this, or am I just crazy? >.<

yes. understandable words in songs are not good for focusing. songs in spanish or without lyrics are much nicer. UNfortunately, I've ound that i read best with absolute silence, though i'd very much like to be listening to music. When I'm working on stuff though, music is good, especially (for some reason) the Levellers.

Quote from: Drakonis
Everybody should just <3.

Offline Viherminttu

« Reply #23 on: November 11, 2006, 07:58:39 am »
im not sure about music inspiring me to make art, but most of the titles i use for my artwork comes from song names and lyrics
<WereVolvo> moar sid! new album sux! music vid sux! machinae are sellouts! where i find crappack lulz? when is page getting updated? gief moar free songs plx. zomg plz come to the US/UK/Mars/Alpha Centauri! when r u guyz gonna do a tour? i think u shuld come to this festival it wuld be gr8!

Offline Aurin

• The Wired
    • aurinsusi.com
« Reply #24 on: November 12, 2006, 04:21:28 am »
im not sure about music inspiring me to make art, but most of the titles i use for my artwork comes from song names and lyrics

Yeah. I have these numerous ideas I'll probably never get to draw, as they'd be straight out of some piece of a certain lyric or song title. Copyright infringements...

Quote from: laser
Who the heck are you?

Offline Outboundlight

• Renegade Anarchist Folk Hero
  • Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
  • Rogue World Asylum Seeker
    • No Art Films
« Reply #25 on: November 12, 2006, 09:54:07 pm »

I'm a writer, and different music inspires me to write different things.

At the minute, I'm writing a novella in which the protagonist has been severely fucked over by his ex-girlfriend. Joey (the protagonist) is no emo kid however, and his pessimistic yet flippant attitude to his situation is best summed up by the music of Therapy? In particular songs such as:
Straight Life
Don't Expect Roses
Watch You Go
Femtex

I think if it wasn't for Therapy? Joey would be a much more depressing character and nowhere near as fun to read as (I hope) he is.

Offline Jack Lupino

• Worst Dude
  • Machinae Prime
« Reply #26 on: November 12, 2006, 09:59:07 pm »
Metal helps me focus.
In fact, i can't concentrate AT ALL while i'm listening to metal/rock or anything more dominant than ambience, haha.

In my work ?

Yeah of course music affects your work, i'd say it does to all of us.

Offline FoxofFire

« Reply #27 on: November 13, 2006, 01:28:50 pm »

You're not crazy, I tend to agree. That's why I listen to a lot of dance/techno music with no lyrics at all, mainly to have some background noise but no lyrics to try to keep up with and concentrate on.
Although if you listen to music with lyrics relating to the work you're doing or has a meaning that relates to work you are doing then I also find that it helps a lot.

Offline Sativa

• 1337 IRC Whore
« Reply #28 on: November 13, 2006, 02:01:52 pm »

You're not crazy, I tend to agree. That's why I listen to a lot of dance/techno music with no lyrics at all, mainly to have some background noise but no lyrics to try to keep up with and concentrate on.
Although if you listen to music with lyrics relating to the work you're doing or has a meaning that relates to work you are doing then I also find that it helps a lot.

Dance music is very FTW, So is psytrance :)

I need music to concentrate, School really sucked when the teacher wouldn't let me listen to my MP3 player D:
"The orange ones fuck you up REAL good"

"We must stop here, this is machinae country!"

Offline Irrationalist

« Reply #29 on: November 13, 2006, 09:09:20 pm »

Its because since you don't understand them your brain isn't in the background trying to analyze and understand the lyrics.